ROTW: Pappy's 1969 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awsome job on the crusier, six years is along time but I think it paid off.

:cheers: Jon,
Definitely one of the cleanest rigs on here..

Great Job! You have done some creative things here, and you made me feel that much closer to finishing mine. Keep up with the wheelin' pics.

P.S. Thanks for the false sense of accomplishment.

Hi All:

"Pappy," nice rig! :beer:

Oh, and impressive build!! :cheers:

Regarding the PS pump, dump the OE Toyota pump for a "ham can" Saginaw PS pump (I use one from a '76 K5 Blazer) and you will get all the "power" you need!

Regards,

Alan

Dan, the issue was how the gear box mounted. I really don't like what I did with the shock. I have another idea, but it will take some fabricating I can't do. Also, off-road I didn't feel like I had enought PS, especially with the front locked. I have a new pump from CDan to go in. I rebuilt the one I had, and for the most part it held up. It did puke when I tried turning with the locker on.

That is one nice build and conversion Pappy! Great job! Couple questions for you, what flares are you using on the rear wheels, and how are they attached to the tub? Who made your half doors?

Cheers!

That is one nice build and conversion Pappy! Great job! Couple questions for you, what flares are you using on the rear wheels, and how are they attached to the tub? Who made your half doors?

Cheers!

Sure glad you asked easy questions. I made the half doors. The flares came from SOR. I believe they were 282-40. They allowed me to cut out and open up the wheel wells a bit. They attach with sheet metal screws.

Sure glad you asked easy questions. I made the half doors. The flares came from SOR. I believe they were 282-40. They allowed me to cut out and open up the wheel wells a bit. They attach with sheet metal screws.

Wow, nice job on the doors and the latches!! Skills I don't have, but definitely admire! But, I can weld, and I can grind!!

Cheers!

All I can say is MY INSPIRATION

Top work Pappy :beer:

What an awesome writeup...:cheers:

whoa!

Great ROTM

That engine is beautiful!!!!

Great job, and thanks for sharing :)

i am ...

inspired. Very nice work.

Suspension, Steering, and Brakes

Steering box is from an FJ60, and frankly, if I did this over again I would have gone Saginaw. Oh well.

Have you thought about running the 3FE steering pump?

Tranny and Transer Case

Even with 4.11 in the axles, 35" tires, and fifth gear the rpms are higher than they need to be. Cruising at 70mph the engine is spinning 2700rpm and it really doesn't need to.

I am surprised at this. How are you monitoring your speed? My 40 w/ 4.11's turns 3k to run 69 MPH. This is w/ 33's and no 5th gear or underdrive in the case...

Fuel Delivery

From the fuel pump the line runs into a 5/16" hard line on the frame to the front. The filter is mounted to the side of the charcoal canister and the flex line from the frame to the filter is from an FZJ80 (90923-01396). The same hose used on FJ62s and mini-trucks was stupid money, but the FZJ80 hose was significantly less expensive (thanks to CruiserDan for helping me "cobble" this together), and it fit the application perfect. From the filter the FJ62 hose was use up to the engine. The hard line that usually runs behind the cylinder head on FJ62s did not clear the FJ40 firewall and needed to be bent up to clear. The fuel return line is 1/4" hard line that runs along the frame to the tank.

What fuel filter are you using? I take it the early '80's Cressida pump can put out enough volume and pressure for the 2FE?

Engine

I just came back from a trip to Moab, UT and the engine worked flawless. Plenty of torque on the rocks. The freeway drive out was very pleasant. The engine was smooth, and I easily cruised at 70mph with throttle to spare. Passing trucks at 80mph was no problem, except the fear factor of driving a tall, short wheel base truck with a twitchy rear locker that fast. Once this truck is in 5th gear it stays there.

Emissions

This truck has been de-smogged. The EGR and the smog pump are gone. The EGR holes in the intake plenum and the exhaust manifold were plugged using expansion plugs. The smog pump, which normally is the idler for the water pump, was replaced with a home built idler using a FJ62 power steering idler pulley. I did retain the charcoal canister, the PCV, and I did install a catalitic converter.

Awesome - I love it!!! What CAT did you go with?

Have you thought about running the 3FE steering pump?

No, the 3FE pump is located on the passanger side where the 2F alternator mounts. It was easiest to keep the 2F accessories because they bolted directly to the 2F.

I am surprised at this. How are you monitoring your speed? My 40 w/ 4.11's turns 3k to run 69 MPH. This is w/ 33's and no 5th gear or underdrive in the case...

I have an electric speedometer so I know my speed is correct.

What fuel filter are you using? I take it the early '80's Cressida pump can put out enough volume and pressure for the 2FE?

I run the OEM 3FE filter. As far as I've been able to find out all Toyota EFI have the same fuel pressure requirements. This pump was used on 22RE, and 5M-GE engines.

Awesome - I love it!!! What CAT did you go with?
Thanks. No idea on the cat. What ever the muffler shop installed.

Good question on a 2F header. I have no idea. I've always heard the 3FE manifold didn't have any issues and wasn't that restrictive. Since the 3FE manifold is 3+3 I figured it was good enough. It was also the easiest thing to install. I moved my Ox sensor bungs from the factory location way down on the pipe to just below the manifold. I just cut the Ox sensor mounts off the factory pipe and welded them on where I wanted them.

Just wanted to thank you for the 2FE PDF you wrote up. Your work is an inspiration and your documentation has been a technical source for many Mudders. I've read through it numerous times and am about to put it into practice. Thanks.

Da nada. Glad you found it useful.

I just got finished reading your write up on your FJ40, and really enjoyed it! I recently bought a 1969 40 series and am getting ready to start in on the build. I have sourced a 3FE, H55 and split transfer case from a fellow in Mississippi that pulled it out of an FJ75 to perform a diesel conversion. I was expecting a few "headaches" but when I found this thread I was pleased to see that there is good information on the items that need to be addressed for this swap. I am sure I will reference your work countless times!

INTERROGATIVE: I had not previously contemplated doing the SOA conversion or stretching the wheel base. I planned on installing 4 inch lift with 35 inch tires with a shackle reversal. I don't intend for my ride to be spending a significant amount of time on hardcore trails, but I did anticipate the increase in length that the H55 and split case will require. Do you have any additional feedback on stretching the wheel base and performing the SOA? From an aesthetic prospective your 40 sits "right" in my opinion, but I was interested in feedback on the overall technical benefits of taking the route you chose. I.e., drive shaft angle improvement and drive shaft lengths, handling on/off-road, steering considerations, etc. I appreciate your response when you have time.

Finally, thanks for your detailed notes in your write up. I am a mechanical engineer by degree/trade so the more details I can get the less sleep I lose at night!

Regards,

JOSH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom