Removing center console trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, before I break something, let me make sure I understand this correctly:

Need access to live power for XM Radio and other stuff, easiest to get from shifter area or behind ashtray. Both require removing the center wood trim on my 04 LX.

Everything I've read says to push outwards (sideways) on the cup holder area and to lift up and the rear will pop loose first, followed by middle and then front (have to unscrew lo range shifter).

I can't get enough grip on the cup holder to pull it up, other than pulling on the cup holder lid which sounds like it's going to snap right off.

What am I missing here, folks?

Need access to live power for XM Radio and other stuff, easiest to get from shifter area or behind ashtray. Both require removing the center wood trim on my 04 LX.

Everything I've read says to push outwards (sideways) on the cup holder area and to lift up and the rear will pop loose first, followed by middle and then front (have to unscrew lo range shifter).

I can't get enough grip on the cup holder to pull it up, other than pulling on the cup holder lid which sounds like it's going to snap right off.

I just did this the other day. I bought a cheap set of plastic body trim tool from Harbor Freight and it made the job a lot easier. I know some say you can put some tape on a flat head screw driver to pry some of the body panels. But if there's a Harbor Freight nearby it's worth the $7. I was surprised at how easily the trim pieces pop right out.

I just did this the other day. I bought a cheap set of plastic body trim tool from Harbor Freight and it made the job a lot easier. I know some say you can put some tape on a flat head screw driver to pry some of the body panels. But if there's a Harbor Freight nearby it's worth the $7. I was surprised at how easily the trim pieces pop right out.

Did you just pry off the wood or ?? I've got trim tools, just wasn't sure where/what being that the cup holder was "supposed" to come out first.

I've been reading up on this getting ready for a similar wiring install and the console top comes out first then the cup holder. Check BO-87 in the FSM.

If you're talking about the wood face below the Nav screen... heat up the inside of the car really well as the wood can crack if its really cold. I just removed mine this evening and one of the techs at work (Lexus) told me to make sure to really heat up the car first and we started in the upper right corner and worked across.. gently prying. With this and the vents removed you can pull the radio and have access the area behind the ashtray

Did you just pry off the wood or ?? I've got trim tools, just wasn't sure where/what being that the cup holder was "supposed" to come out first.
If you want to remove the trim to access the wiring don't wood laminate, it's glued to the plastic trim. I can take a picture tomorrow if you haven't figured it out yet.

I have an 03 LC and did this today. Popped out a couple of blanks in front of the cup holders which allowed me to get a bit of grip on the console. Started at the cup holder end and gave it a tug and it popped out nicely. Worked my way up by popping the 2 centre clips then the final 2 clips at front. Disconnected the power/2nd buttons, unscrewed the hi/Lo knob and away she came. Easy to do but daunting at first putting the pressure on the trim.

Sometimes you can get a grip in the slack of the leather hi/Li boot and get under. Mine was really stuck the first time, but it gets easier, now it'll barely stay clicked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom