How to remove center console? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to access the area under my Hi/Low shifter to tackle a buzzing sound coming from the shift lever. I've had two TSBs performed, but the buzzing comes back. I can eliminate the buzzing by squeezing the shifter boot so I think I can silence it by stuffing something around the shift rod itself. How do I remove the console cover area? Thanks

The top side comes apart pretty easy. There are four clips holding it in place. Two on each side. Unscrew the Hi/low shifter knob and remove it. I had to put the trans. in Neutral as well. If you gently start pulling up you can see where the clips are. Take a flat screwdriver with a piece of tape on it or something else that won't mar the plastic and insert it along side of the clips. Mine released with no problems. Try to pull straight up on it. If I remember correctly there are also a couple of clips directly under the cupholders. By pulling straight up, they should release. This will give you access to the underneath. If you want to take the whole thing off, you need to unclip the wires for the seat warmers and the power/2nd switches. This will allow you to remove the whole top side of the console and the cupholders. Take the time to tighten or repair the cupholder lid while you are at it.

I have a picture of the top side removed on my home computer if you think it will help to see it. PM me and I will send it.

I'll be PMing you for pix also if that's cool?, I need to access the underside of the cup-holder lid area for re-installing of screws/lid. Thanks.

I just removed mine on Sunday. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. No screws or anything other than four or six pressure clips. The easiest way to do it is by moving your transfer knob to Low, your shifter to Drive, and then grab the black plastic area under your cupholder door and pull the console straight up. The rearmost clips will disengage first and then as you pry up from the back, the front clips will disengage. After that, just look underneath and disconnect the electrical connectors by giving the plastic piece closest to where the wires enter a good tug. they should unsnap. Don't pull by the wires themself or you might pull the wires out of the connectors.

tony, did you fix the buzzing sound? what was it?

aedgington said:
tony, did you fix the buzzing sound? what was it?
Inside the leather boot, there is a rubber boot like in old trucks. When the rubber boot is in a low position on the transfer case lever, it will vibrate against the outer leather boot. Once I got the console off, I used a hose clamp to secure the rubber boot as high on the lever as I could. Then I stuffed some insulation between the two boots and I haven't had the buzzind again.

Removing center console

I want to thank you guys for the great information. I'm a newbie on this site but have been reading a lot of your old threads. I have an 02 cruiser and my wife drives a LX470 so ideas and information you guys kick around is immensely helpful.
Over the past weekend we had -15 degree temps where I was and my pads froze to the rotors. When I released the hand brake the cable came off the clips. I wasn't sure how to get to it but removing the console sounds pretty easy. Thanks again!
John

I am trying to remove the rest of the center console - the area behind the shifter console - the area with the storage & arm rest that is located between the seats. I have removed the 4 screws on each side of this portion, but it does not seem to want to budge.

Any ideas?

I want to remove this and add some power ports to the back of console by tapping off the outlet inside the storage. I am sure this is an easy procedure, but of course I could only get to as daylight is fading, and now it is raining.

1999 LX 470

TIA,

I am trying to remove the rest of the center console - the area behind the shifter console - the area with the storage & arm rest that is located between the seats. I have removed the 4 screws on each side of this portion, but it does not seem to want to budge.

Any ideas?

I want to remove this and add some power ports to the back of console by tapping off the outlet inside the storage. I am sure this is an easy procedure, but of course I could only get to as daylight is fading, and now it is raining.

1999 LX 470

TIA,

You can access the port inside the storage compartment by taking the back of the console off (where the 2nd row cup holder is). If those are the 4 screws you've removed, open the cup holder door. Using a long Phillips screwdriver, look inside the cup holder bay and remove the two screws you see at the top of the bay just inside the compartment. With these out, the whole back end just slides off.

I took mine apart tonight to clean out old coffee spills and who knows what else. I'd love to put some USB ports back there for the second row. Anyone know of a good thread to read up on that?

You can access the port inside the storage compartment by taking the back of the console off (where the 2nd row cup holder is). If those are the 4 screws you've removed, open the cup holder door. Using a long Phillips screwdriver, look inside the cup holder bay and remove the two screws you see at the top of the bay just inside the compartment. With these out, the whole back end just slides off.

I took mine apart tonight to clean out old coffee spills and who knows what else. I'd love to put some USB ports back there for the second row. Anyone know of a good thread to read up on that?

Thank you! I have not found a good thread on this. I don't think it is too difficult, I think it will just be spicing into the wires going to the power outlet that lives inside the center console. It looks like the electrical is hard-wired to the outlet, meaning you cannot unplug and jump in at the outlet.

i have a 2002 100 series LC and I've followed all these steps and have the rear console access off. The center console lifts up and down but I can't slide it back off the front console. Seems like it's caught at the cup holder? Any pics or further descriptions on how to get the center console off would be greatly appreciated!

If I remember there are three screws on either side down low on the console, move the seats around to access them. There are two 10m bolts on the very bottom of the console accessed from inside the unit. The rest should be easy, the whole thing will be very loose at that point
IMG_20160918_125409.jpg
IMG_20160918_120037.jpg
usbwire.jpg
usb2.jpg

And this is going on my todo list. I have an intermittent buzzing there that has been driving me bonkers!!

If I remember there are three screws on either side down low on the console, move the seats around to access them. There are two 10m bolts on the very bottom of the console accessed from inside the unit. The rest should be easy, the whole thing will be very loose at that pointView attachment 1368139 View attachment 1368140 View attachment 1368141 View attachment 1368142

Thanks for the pics etc! The problem is I removed all 3 or 4 screws on the side and the 10 mm bolts plus some screws in the rear console. Still feels "stuck" at the front end and it's getting to the point where I've cracked the bottom of my cup holders because of the force I'm applying :(

take the cupholder out and look under there if you haven't. I could be wrong but I think there two screws in there at the bottom on a cross member or something.

Hey since we're under the center console... Does anyone else have a large amount of heat coming up through there. I can keep coffee warm and spoil milk. I want to put down some dynamat insulation.

take the cupholder out and look under there if you haven't. I could be wrong but I think there two screws in there at the bottom on a cross member or something.
Sorry to be so dense but how do you remove the cup holder? I tried figuring that out yesterday and couldn't Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom