Relic Run 24 April 17-24 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking at Google maps and routes which caused me to miss this post. That sounds good!

I hadn’t thought of those towing or driving 40s down there and backroads are more enjoyable anyway.

Appreciate the assessment! Looking forward to testing the rig out and seeing what all it can do. When I did Panther Rock and a few other trails at Windrock I had some great spotting and found out what a difference that makes. Would be cool to ride with some folks and learn a bit more too.

I got to meet some members last year during the Flagpole run and everyone was really cool. Looking forward to meeting you and hanging out with everyone. I’ll be sure to bring some bourbon.

I appreciate the recommendation and link for West Marine! I’ll send you a PM with my cell info so we can coordinate on the sheets and meet up!

The reason I asked about leaving a cooler while on trails is that I didn’t want the cooler just sloshing around the whole time on day two or three so these sheets sound great to prevent that.
Actually, I just took a look, and I have the 70 quart, not the 120, so even less expensive for this size! I use the 120's for work and the 70 for personal.

ok lets talk travel plans...

depending on who is leaving when will be a big factor on where we can/will meet up for a caravan down. Personally I would like to just cruise at 65mph down and enjoy the ride. I am in no hurry but I will be at the camp site BEFORE dark!

If we do the normal meet up location of the Southern States gas station at 13655 Beverly Ford Rd. Elkwood it would be just under 2 hours for me from Baltimore MD and about the same for @CrabCake to get there from Annapolis MD.
From there it is roughly 5 hours to the Relic Run site at US Forest Service Rd 1154, North Carolina 27371

Figure to add roughly another hour for a lunch stop and fuel and facility stops .....

If we LEAVE the Southern States AT 10 we should arrive (including an extra hour for stops) about 4ish....

The big question is when everyone is planning on leaving to make the choice of where to meet. I enjoy having other people too ride down with... makes the time pass better and nice to have some support if anything happens.

So when is everyone currently planning on leaving. Wednesday or Thursday?
Also please update and let everyone know if you are Driving, riding or towing....

Wednesday:
Svensk120 - Driving
@CrabCake - Driving
@davidp14 - Driving
@DrivenLyfe- Driving

Thursday:
@matzell - Towing
@76FJ40 - Driving

Friday:
@hakalugi
@TRFCSUX
@Jakes40

Unknown:
6 @Diff Kraken maybe - Driving
@Boomstick

Last edited:
ok lets talk travel plans...

depending on who is leaving when will be a big factor on where we can/will meet up for a caravan down. Personally I would like to just cruise at 65mph down and enjoy the ride. I am in no hurry but I will be at the camp site BEFORE dark!

If we do the normal meet up location of the Southern States gas station at 13655 Beverly Ford Rd. Elkwood it would be just under 2 hours for me from Baltimore MD and about the same for @CrabCake to get there from Annapolis MD.
From there it is roughly 5 hours to the Relic Run site at US Forest Service Rd 1154, North Carolina 27371

Figure to add roughly another hour for a lunch stop and fuel and facility stops .....

If we LEAVE the Southern States AT 10 we should arrive (including an extra hour for stops) about 4ish....

The big question is when everyone is planning on leaving to make the choice of where to meet. I enjoy having other people too ride down with... makes the time pass better and nice to have some support if anything happens.

So when is everyone currently planning on leaving. Wednesday or Thursday?
Also please update and let everyone know if you are Driving, riding or towing....

Wednesday:
Svensk120 - Driving
@CrabCake - Driving

Thursday:
@matzell - Towing

Friday:
@hakalugi

Unknown:

4 @76FJ40
5 @davidp14 - Driving
6 @Diff Kraken maybe - Driving
8 @TRFCSUX
9 @Jakes40
10 @DrivenLyfe- Driving
@Boomstick
I will be heading down 95 from Richmond. Unknown time of departure. I may end up working some that day, hope not.

@DrivenLyfe Daniel is the apex predator of URE. The front side of it is the hardcore part of the system and is sure to damage you somewhere in a 570. It’s generally run only as an uphill trail. Not many bypasses. It’s entered from a longish service road that is nowhere near other trails.

The back side of Daniel is still pretty easy after the grading they did a few years ago. In the best of weather and condition, it’s usually stock friendly. Many people run it to the top to watch the last hard climbs of the people coming from the front. This part of it is entered from the other trails.

Dickey Bell and Dutch John vary greatly depending on weather and direction run. There’s a chute or two on Dutch that can give a wide body some scrapes if it’s wet. One goes up and one goes down.

The entire forest floor is red clay. Slippery as snot when it’s much beyond damp but dries quickly if we haven’t had rain lately.

Who still has the video of that guy going downhill from a couple of years ago? Never mind, found it.

Last edited:
I’ll be driving and leaving most likely on Wednesday.

Early bird registration ends today.

I’ll be driving and leaving most likely on Wednesday.
if you leave on wens would you be wanting to join in the caravan?

@TRFCSUX SUX and I planed on coming down Thursday after work but may change to Friday Morning.

Last edited:
@TRFSUCX and I planed on coming down Thursday after work but may change to Friday Morning.
Just a reminder that the special, private Grand Overland trails are only offered to us for Friday.

@DrivenLyfe Daniel is the apex predator of URE. The front side of it is the hardcore part of the system and is sure to damage you somewhere in a 570. It’s generally run only as an uphill trail. Not many bypasses. It’s entered from a longish service road that is nowhere near other trails.

The back side of Daniel is still pretty easy after the grading they did a few years ago. In the best of weather and condition, it’s usually stock friendly. Many people run it to the top to watch the last hard climbs of the people coming from the front. This part of it is entered from the other trails.

Dickey Bell and Dutch John vary greatly depending on weather and direction run. There’s a chute or two on Dutch that can give a wide body some scrapes if it’s wet. One goes up and one goes down.

The entire forest floor is red clay. Slippery as snot when it’s much beyond damp but dries quickly if we haven’t had rain lately.
I appreciate the info on the trails! @JohnVee

I saw that going up the front of Daniel was something that would likely be very challenging and potentially damaging. The LX is not a beauty queen by any means, but would like to avoid major damage.

I have seen a few Dutch runs on YouTube and it does seem very weather, season and line dependent.

When I looked into Uwharrie those are the ones that kept popping up. I am just looking forward to running the trails and hanging out with the club. If we hit any of those cool, if not cool.

@Svensk120 As of now I am planning to head down with you all Wednesday.

@DrivenLyfe and all other first-timers to URE - Best way to view the trails at URE is this: "D" trails, names starting with "D", are the harder ones with Daniel having the most difficulty and fewest bypasses (as such it can get backed up with jeepers and the unprepared); Blues to Blacks, using that rating method. The other trails are fairly easy and are mostly just long drives through the forest with an occasional obstacle thrown in; Greens.

They did open the Lakeview Trail last year. It's an easy connector trail that still isn't on the printed map, but it is posted with signage and accessed near the Art Lilly area, that has 2 optional blue-black rock tiles and one red rock pile. It's not Bunny at The Cove, but you'll know the red pile when you see it. I want to say Lakeview connects Falls Dam Trail and Wolf Den Trail.

And here's a reminder to purchase your trail day passes or annual passes at the Uwharrie Outpost (on Hwy 109, 1/2-mile north of where you turn onto Mullinix Rd to get to camp). We've had people receive tickets at events not having their pass.

Also, anybody who intends to use the shooting range - you will need to get a Range Pass from the Uwharrie Outpost prior to arriving at the Range. For some reason, passes are not sold at the Range, and it's a 10-15 gravel drive between the two places.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the range but don't want to advertise here for all to see.

Any of you guys planning to bring fire wood? I will have a little. If everyone can bring a little we should have plenty.

I'll be bringing some for my solo stove as well a mix of bags and some pellets as well

I'll be bringing some for my solo stove as well a mix of bags and some pellets as well
Want to Solo stove it with a couple or have a fire in the ring down there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom