Relic Run 24 April 17-24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My plans have changed a little so I'm now in for the Relic Run. I'm taking the BJ if Matt can find someone to help him drive. If not, I'll be driving down with Matt.

updates.....

Well the wiring harness "seems" to be all fixed.... have to do a bit more replacement of things the damn thing ate like new LED lights since it ate the ballast wires... the SAIS system just took a crap so that is going to be taken care off... plus other things...

updates.....

Well the wiring harness "seems" to be all fixed.... have to do a bit more replacement of things the damn thing ate like new LED lights since it ate the ballast wires... the SAIS system just took a crap so that is going to be taken care off... plus other things...
Glad to hear that you're generally back up and running!

I officially registered for Relic, so I'm in barring any weird happenings at work or falling into the volcanic fissure in Iceland next week.

Glad to hear that you're generally back up and running!

I officially registered for Relic, so I'm in barring any weird happenings at work or falling into the volcanic fissure in Iceland next week.
speaking of volcanic fissures if you can go scuba diving at the fault line where you can touch two continental shelves at the same time!

speaking of volcanic fissures if you can go scuba diving at the fault line where you can touch two continental shelves at the same time!

Hah, I saw that day excursion and may do it! I was a certified diver back in my college days, and would love to at least snorkel that area. We're going a day early and staying a day late from our tour group, so it would be a cool 4-5 hour day trip from Reykjavik since we'll be there at the start and finish of the trip. We got lucky, the 2 other couples to make up our tour backed out, so it's just myself, my wife, and her parents (great travel partners) as the "group" with a private guide and driver for the week! I'll ask her now if that would be something that I can sneak in for a half day! Oh yeah, my mother-in-law already researched the Phallological Museum, so maybe the in-laws can do that while my wife and I are in the water! :rofl:

sounds like your going to have a great trip !!! The GF and I have been talking about going over for a 4 day type trip... i havent been there since the mid 90s so itll be different to see it from an adult or at least from an older persons perspective.Plus I was there during the height of winter all the time so summer will be a whole world of difference!

I am registered and really looking forward to it. Hoping to have some suspension mods done by then, but will at least have the full BB skids on.

Couple of questions as this is my first time going to an event like this. Feel free to hop in and provide some advice too.
Food: Will there be a place to store a cooler and grill while on the trails? Leave it at the campsite or too concerned about attracting wildlife?
Travel: Any group ride down to the event being scheduled?
Trails: How do you get connected with the right group for capability of driver and rig?

I am registered and really looking forward to it. Hoping to have some suspension mods done by then, but will at least have the full BB skids on.

Couple of questions as this is my first time going to an event like this. Feel free to hop in and provide some advice too.
Food: Will there be a place to store a cooler and grill while on the trails? Leave it at the campsite or too concerned about attracting wildlife?
Travel: Any group ride down to the event being scheduled?
Trails: How do you get connected with the right group for capability of driver and rig?

Welcome and glad to get some new folks coming!! You are on the right thread to keep up to date as to the goings on and plans for the event.

The campsite is a private area with just people at the event. We all leave out camp setups there and not a worry about the gear... of course dont leave things about like firearms and cash ect..... and as far as wild life i would never tell anyone to leave food out so always be responsible and have a good sealed cooler and secure totes for dry foods as well. I like the Husky red totes from HD... they are water proof and are very sturdy... and they come in a few different sizes

We are working on the group ride or small groups but it is a bit in the air as to when folks are leaving. I and a few others are shooting for leaving wed. and a few others are thus... so we will see.
I think @CrabCake was thinking wen and is in the Annapolis area I am in baltimore area.... @davidp14 is to the west of Richmond area so we might all meet up somewhere but that will be working itself out soon enough.

As far as trails go there .... at the check-in tent you can get that info and they will have groups gathering together in the mornings and they will be heading out to greens and blues and blacks ect... so you can hitch up with the right group that way.
the CLCC and other folks from out area most of the times go out in out own little group because we have all wheeled together before. We are not trying to hit the hardest and normally take it easy and just enjoy ourselves. So we are normally doing harder greens and blues mostly. We are not stock by any means but not all of us are in full blown buggies ....

what are you driving?

Welcome and glad to get some new folks coming!! You are on the right thread to keep up to date as to the goings on and plans for the event.

The campsite is a private area with just people at the event. We all leave out camp setups there and not a worry about the gear... of course dont leave things about like firearms and cash ect..... and as far as wild life i would never tell anyone to leave food out so always be responsible and have a good sealed cooler and secure totes for dry foods as well. I like the Husky red totes from HD... they are water proof and are very sturdy... and they come in a few different sizes

We are working on the group ride or small groups but it is a bit in the air as to when folks are leaving. I and a few others are shooting for leaving wed. and a few others are thus... so we will see.
I think @CrabCake was thinking wen and is in the Annapolis area I am in baltimore area.... @davidp14 is to the west of Richmond area so we might all meet up somewhere but that will be working itself out soon enough.

As far as trails go there .... at the check-in tent you can get that info and they will have groups gathering together in the mornings and they will be heading out to greens and blues and blacks ect... so you can hitch up with the right group that way.
the CLCC and other folks from out area most of the times go out in out own little group because we have all wheeled together before. We are not trying to hit the hardest and normally take it easy and just enjoy ourselves. So we are normally doing harder greens and blues mostly. We are not stock by any means but not all of us are in full blown buggies ....

what are you driving?
I really appreciate you taking the time to give such a thorough response. I will invest in a sealed cooler and secure tote.

Depending when on Wednesday, that should work for me. I’ll be a bit down 95 in VA that day.

That sounds good as far as hitting the trails with the club. I am in an LX570 on 35s, level IV BB skids, and rock sliders. I am hoping to have some suspension mods done by then too that increase droop. I have a winch but we will see if I will have it installed yet, as I wait for the body lift for the 200s to get into production here shortly.

Have you all run Dickey Bell, Daniel, and Dutch John? On YouTube they don’t seem to bad, but cameras can be misleading of course.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give such a thorough response. I will invest in a sealed cooler and secure tote.

Depending when on Wednesday, that should work for me. I’ll be a bit down 95 in VA that day.

That sounds good as far as hitting the trails with the club. I am in an LX570 on 35s, level IV BB skids, and rock sliders. I am hoping to have some suspension mods done by then too that increase droop. I have a winch but we will see if I will have it installed yet, as I wait for the body lift for the 200s to get into production here shortly.

Have you all run Dickey Bell, Daniel, and Dutch John? On YouTube they don’t seem to bad, but cameras can be misleading of course.
Be nice to meet you finally.

Be nice to meet you finally.
Oh damn...you going to be there too? Andrew (my son) and I were just talking about the first Good Evening trip....I better get my sleep in now to keep up! :beer: :p

Hoping to pull out of Annapolis around 10 a.m....maybe we can set up a meet location/time to continue the caravan!

In the past we've met at the Southern States gas station in Elkwood, VA (13655 Beverly Ford Rd. Elkwood) and then caravaned down 29.

Hoping to pull out of Annapolis around 10 a.m....maybe we can set up a meet location/time to continue the caravan!
Good stuff! Maybe we can target Triangle or that area about 11:30AM to 12PMish? I checked and Google maps has you all riding 95 until Fredericksburg, so could meet there too.

You dont have to get a Yeti but something in that style would be the best and what everyone seems to use.

We normally try to meet up in the mid morning... as was already mentioned we would meet that the Southern States Gas station and take a sorta back road route because we have some members that tow and also some that drive their 40s down so that route wasnt just beating down on 95. it was a more pleasant drive and easier.

As for your rig what you described you will be good for lots of the trails there for sure ... and with good spotting you will do even more then you think!

I havent run all of the trails but plenty of our club members have and will be running them this year as well so I am sure you can find a seat if you get there and decide you dont want to risk your rig right then!
But yeah the youtube never does a trail justice for sure.

As you have surely seen on this thread we are a sociable bunch and enjoy relaxing after the trails are done... cooking ... fire... and drinking. SO again looking forward to meeting you !!

I can vouch for the Husky boxes referenced above...they seal nicely and stack securely. We didn't have any issues at FC rain wise, but I could see them being nice and water tight if needed. Cooler wise, I got one from West Marine that is built similarly to the Yeti, but far cheaper for the same size...held ice for days which was nice. I kept my food in this one and use a neat product for caterers (I'm in the biz), that is basically a blister sheet of water that you can freeze in a mat and layer between your food. When it melts, it stays self contained and doesn't saturate everything in there except for a little condensation.

Cooler that I'm very happy with:

I buy a case of these each year to refresh my stock...you can cut to fit your cooler which is nice!

Caravan location to meet up...I can be flexible on my timing...as @Svensk120 mentioned, I plan to head down on Wednesday to take full advantage of the time there and would prefer to be set up before dark. If I leave Annapolis by 9:30-10:00 a.m., that gives plenty of time to meet somewhere along the way to meet others. Just keep in mind, the 80 is a solid rig, but does chug a bit up the big hills! I can usually run 70+ on the flats, but it takes more than the blink of an eye to get there! Feel free to PM me for cell contact info to get something organized. :steer:

Edit/Update:
If anyone wants to go in on a case of the ice sheets, I'm happy to buy and distribute. I usually get 35 "sheets" that are perfect for the cooler out of a 50 lb case, so about $5 per sheet with shipping costs. I use 8-10 sheets per cooler load, staggering underneath, in the middle, and on top of your grub.

I will be out of town, leaving on Thursday this week and returning on April 8th, so it would be sometime the week before Relic that I could get these out to people. In fact, I think I'll order 2 cases today for work (usually next day shipping from ULine), so I'll have in hand when I return. Happy to keep both cases, or whatever is left from those that want to buy from me "per sheet". ❄️❄️❄️

Last edited:
In the past we've met at the Southern States gas station in Elkwood, VA (13655 Beverly Ford Rd. Elkwood) and then caravaned down 29.
I was looking at Google maps and routes which caused me to miss this post. That sounds good!
You dont have to get a Yeti but something in that style would be the best and what everyone seems to use.

We normally try to meet up in the mid morning... as was already mentioned we would meet that the Southern States Gas station and take a sorta back road route because we have some members that tow and also some that drive their 40s down so that route wasnt just beating down on 95. it was a more pleasant drive and easier.

As for your rig what you described you will be good for lots of the trails there for sure ... and with good spotting you will do even more then you think!

I havent run all of the trails but plenty of our club members have and will be running them this year as well so I am sure you can find a seat if you get there and decide you dont want to risk your rig right then!
But yeah the youtube never does a trail justice for sure.

As you have surely seen on this thread we are a sociable bunch and enjoy relaxing after the trails are done... cooking ... fire... and drinking. SO again looking forward to meeting you !!
I hadn’t thought of those towing or driving 40s down there and backroads are more enjoyable anyway.

Appreciate the assessment! Looking forward to testing the rig out and seeing what all it can do. When I did Panther Rock and a few other trails at Windrock I had some great spotting and found out what a difference that makes. Would be cool to ride with some folks and learn a bit more too.

I got to meet some members last year during the Flagpole run and everyone was really cool. Looking forward to meeting you and hanging out with everyone. I’ll be sure to bring some bourbon.
I can vouch for the Husky boxes referenced above...they seal nicely and stack securely. We didn't have any issues at FC rain wise, but I could see them being nice and water tight if needed. Cooler wise, I got one from West Marine that is built similarly to the Yeti, but far cheaper for the same size...held ice for days which was nice. I kept my food in this one and use a neat product for caterers (I'm in the biz), that is basically a blister sheet of water that you can freeze in a mat and layer between your food. When it melts, it stays self contained and doesn't saturate everything in there except for a little condensation.

Cooler that I'm very happy with:

I buy a case of these each year to refresh my stock...you can cut to fit your cooler which is nice!

Caravan location to meet up...I can be flexible on my timing...as @Svensk120 mentioned, I plan to head down on Wednesday to take full advantage of the time there and would prefer to be set up before dark. If I leave Annapolis by 9:30-10:00 a.m., that gives plenty of time to meet somewhere along the way to meet others. Just keep in mind, the 80 is a solid rig, but does chug a bit up the big hills! I can usually run 70+ on the flats, but it takes more than the blink of an eye to get there! Feel free to PM me for cell contact info to get something organized. :steer:

Edit/Update:
If anyone wants to go in on a case of the ice sheets, I'm happy to buy and distribute. I usually get 35 "sheets" that are perfect for the cooler out of a 50 lb case, so about $5 per sheet with shipping costs. I use 8-10 sheets per cooler load, staggering underneath, in the middle, and on top of your grub.

I will be out of town, leaving on Thursday this week and returning on April 8th, so it would be sometime the week before Relic that I could get these out to people. In fact, I think I'll order 2 cases today for work (usually next day shipping from ULine), so I'll have in hand when I return. Happy to keep both cases, or whatever is left from those that want to buy from me "per sheet". ❄️❄️❄️
I appreciate the recommendation and link for West Marine! I’ll send you a PM with my cell info so we can coordinate on the sheets and meet up!

The reason I asked about leaving a cooler while on trails is that I didn’t want the cooler just sloshing around the whole time on day two or three so these sheets sound great to prevent that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom