Rebuilding My Engine! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

Today was day 2 of taking the 80 apart and stripping the engine. As I mentioned in my other post, I am having a shop do the actual engine build. But I am removing it and reinstalling it. To be honest, I feel a little overwhelmed right now and wish I didn't start this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Vdyi1laPtIth4qm2

Most of the stuff is off now, except for the exhaust manifold. I have some questions and would love some experienced answers!

1. The passenger side of the bay is great. Down to the headers and a clean shot at the motor mount. But the driver side is a mess! It is hard to see what exactly I need to disconnect. Any ideas?

2. I removed all the hoses including ALL the little vacuum lines. I'd like to replace them all. Are there complete kits for these? Or am I just going to buy rolls of line and make my own? Some of those vac lines look custom fit. I looked online and in Mud and only saw mentions of kits with major radiator hoses.

3. How many bell housing bolts are there? I loosened all the visible ones (and it looks like I am missing one on top).

4. Any other wisdom?

THANK YOU!!

Scott

Also any lists of all gaskets?

Hey everyone!

Today was day 2 of taking the 80 apart and stripping the engine. As I mentioned in my other post, I am having a shop do the actual engine build. But I am removing it and reinstalling it. To be honest, I feel a little overwhelmed right now and wish I didn't start this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Vdyi1laPtIth4qm2

Most of the stuff is off now, except for the exhaust manifold. I have some questions and would love some experienced answers!

1. The passenger side of the bay is great. Down to the headers and a clean shot at the motor mount. But the driver side is a mess! It is hard to see what exactly I need to disconnect. Any ideas?

2. I removed all the hoses including ALL the little vacuum lines. I'd like to replace them all. Are there complete kits for these? Or am I just going to buy rolls of line and make my own? Some of those vac lines look custom fit. I looked online and in Mud and only saw mentions of kits with major radiator hoses.

3. How many bell housing bolts are there? I loosened all the visible ones (and it looks like I am missing one on top).

4. Any other wisdom?

THANK YOU!!

Scott

1. Disconect radiator, remove starter, disconnect wiring harness, engine mount.

2. I hope you took lots of pictures, otherwise your going to have a hell of a time getting that mess back together. I bought surplus hose from the parts store and would remove a hose, cut a new one, and install one at a time.

3. There are two super secret ones on the top of the housing that are a pain to get to. Don't forget to remove the flywheel bolts and I would also loosen the big bolt on the harmonic balancer with the motor in the vehicle.

4. I'm already getting the sense you've bitten off more than you can chew. Make sure to take your time, ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures of everything and from all different angles. Edit : just looked at your post with all the pictures of things in bags and all hoses labeled, your doing fine !

Last edited:
Also any lists of all gaskets?

It used to be you could call @beno or @cruiserdan , tell them what you were up to, and they would take your credit card info and a few days later a shiny new box would show up with everything you needed. I read that Beno isn't taking anymore new customers and Dan is retired. I'm really not sure who is taking there place now. I know there is a part number for a kit that has a lot of what you need. Otherwise I would suggest using search to root out the numbers the hard way.

Just call @beno and get out your check book. He'll take care of you.

@half k cruiser thanks! I have never removed an engine before. But I relied on organization and over documentation. TONS of photos. I also labeled EVERY hose with a letter, and a corresponding worksheet that tracks them (so I dont forget any). All marked hoses are in a bag for comparison, measuring (if needed) and verification.

Last, every component has a ziploc bag that is marked, and has a note in it for bolt placement, size, etc.

25552335058_27669ca25d.jpg

27645449899_bb3a5232b7.jpg

@offroadvegan thats how I organize all my swaps and motor work etc... good luck with your rebuild.

Just call @beno and get out your check book. He'll take care of you.

Correct. Just contact @beno. He’s being selective whom he does business with. There are a lot of tire kickers and cheapskates on Mud. People not willing to pay for his expertise. He’s worth the few bucks more.

I have a PDF file made by Onur in 2012 that gives lists, part numbers and diagrams for a complete rebuild. I lifted it from a thread I found here a while back. Not sure how to load a PDF here though.

Found it ... here you go.

1FZ-FE Engine Rebuild Parts List

No worries your on the right track. lots of picks & label everything

@half k cruiser thanks! I have never removed an engine before. But I relied on organization and over documentation. TONS of photos. I also labeled EVERY hose with a letter, and a corresponding worksheet that tracks them (so I dont forget any). All marked hoses are in a bag for comparison, measuring (if needed) and verification.

Last, every component has a ziploc bag that is marked, and has a note in it for bolt placement, size, etc.

Yep, your doing fine. Watch out for the wiring harness, they are a pain in the ass due to the routing, and several of the connectors might be brittle. You can get them also if you break one. Once the motor is out you can easily pull the harness off and inspect for damage / re-wrap everything. @Cass007 did you a solid with that link.

The hose in the top pic on the far left side is the wrong hose, not a stock part. I can tell because I did the same with that hose on my LX and it has the same exact wear spot where it hits the hood insulation.

This go round, I chose to use a trusted mechanic for removal and rebuild, though we worked together on parts of the job. But when I was younger, I’ve done a couple engine rebuilds and you are WAY more organized than I ever thought about being. WAY more organized! It’s impressive. If you focus on just doing what you are doing, one part at a time, rather than rushing to “finish,” you’ll be more than fine.

One thing I wish I had done while we had the engine out is send out my injectors for testing and rebuild. It probably wasn’t and isn’t necessary, but would provide further OCD PM peace of mind.

Hey I have pulled a couple out, I could pop by and give you some pointers/help send me a PM and go from there

Wow Shock tower that is awesome and would be a HUGE help! I'll Venmo you money for gas and can have pizza, etc! I am thinking next weekend might be the next day I really dive in. I'll PM you.

Are you really a vegan?

i suggest you follow the FSM and pull the entire thing out with the transmission and tcase but thats just my .02

i have done several and would be more than happy to help if you message me.

With respect to vacuum hoses, you can buy individual hoses. They come marked with the labels on them, so you know where they go. The hose routing diagram is on a sticker on the underside of the hood. If yours is missing, you can still buy them from Mr. T.

The reason yours look made for the location is that they've been bent that way for years. When they were new, they kind of looked loose.

You can also buy the rolls the dealerships use. They are available in 3' and 6' lengths, but you have to mark them (with a Sharpie or something similar) yourself. You need 6'+ a little for the entire engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom