Rear Suspension Question: Does a lift result in an offset rear axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've been replacing rear-end components damaged by a former owner to get the truck straight and level.

After replacing a bent trailing arm and a leaking KDSS cylinder ($$$) the alignment tech noticed the rear axle is offset 1" to the side. Factory spec allows for 1/2" with stock configuration.

I was wondering if perhaps the OME BP 51 suspension lift could be responsible for the change in the axle location? Makes sense if you start playing with geometry things would reposition.

If not, time to inspect more components. :cautious: Anyone with experience in this?

after my lift install Mine was out by 1/2"-1". I ordered from marks 4wd in Australia an adjustable rear pan hard bar. Shipping was like $60 and DHL had it to me within three days of ordering it. That part got my rear straightened back up.
Good luck

Last edited:
I've got an adjsutable rear panhard waiting to go on that I got from Trail Taylor - it was for sure needed on my 100.... I actually was surprised it wasn't included in any of the current kits....

Cheers

after my lift install Mine was out by 1/2"-1". I ordered from marks 4wd in Australia an adjustable rear pan hard bar. Shipping was like $60 and DHL had it to me within three days of ordering it. That part got my rear straightened back up.
Good luck
Thanks brother, just last night I was searching for an adjustable panhard, love this forum!

IMG_0094.GIF

I have a few 200 adjustable bars remaining. More will be here in February.

Ready to ship.

Jason
What kind of bushings are on the ends and is the adjustment off that sleeve with those two jam nuts to lock it down?

What kind of bushings are on the ends and is the adjustment off that sleeve with those two jam nuts to lock it down?

OE style bushings and here is a pic of how installed on my 100. Adjustment is on the end with double jamb nuts. These bars are solid bar stock, not hollow tube.

J

IMG_20161227_101415736.jpg
IMG_20161227_100350392.jpg

Wow! Those things are the beef!

Is this necessary for all lifted 200s? Mine doesn't seem to suffer from this drastic off set or any really and i haven't heard of many complaining about it and there are a lot of us lifted.

Just a thought. While correcting the axle offset at neutral is a good fix, at more extreme lifts, the panhard link is still operating at a more aggressive angle. This will cause the axle to displace more side to side as the suspension is being cycled. Is there any kits out there that offer a bracket drop (from the frame), or bracket lift (from the axle)?

Offroad at low speeds is probably not an issue. But I imagine the higher speed on road handling to be sloppy with the panhard more extreme angles. With a bracket fix, the panhard potentially wouldn't need to be adjusted at all.

Just a thought. While correcting the axle offset at neutral is a good fix, at more extreme lifts, the panhard link is still operating at a more aggressive angle. This will cause the axle to displace more side to side as the suspension is being cycled. Is there any kits out there that offer a bracket drop (from the frame), or bracket lift (from the axle)?

Offroad at low speeds is probably not an issue. But I imagine the higher speed on road handling to be sloppy with the panhard more extreme angles. With a bracket fix, the panhard potentially wouldn't need to be adjusted at all.

Great idea. I wonder why no one seems to offer that work-around.

Assuming you start with a centered axle, any lift on a track bar equipped vehicle is going to cause some offset, a gent name Pythagoras said so. The more lift you have, the higher the offset. Now, many choose not to worry about it as the offset is small. For those that do choose to change, you have many options to choose from. Most are not only adjustable but stronger material then stock. For the standard 2-3" lift, the offset isn't enough for most owners to do anything about it and downsides outside of asthetics are minimal.

...the offset isn't enough for most owners to do anything about it and downsides outside of asthetics are minimal.

Is there any chance the offset could cause premature wear on connected components? Mine is about 1/2" beyond the 1/2" spec'd variance. I just replaced a leaking KDSS cylinder and can't help but wonder if the out-of-alignment rear end didn't put strain on the cylinder.

Ordered up an adjustable panhard, and now considering adjustable trailing arms too!

Just ordered min as well. Looking forward to getting the rear axle centered! :)

We have been using a blackhawk adj for the 200 as it has double lock nuts and fine thread and oe supplier bushes and doesnt stand out from OE being black.

Redline has some panhards and HD control arms leaving from here currently.

The problem when you lift the 200 is not only that the axle becomes offset, but because of the rear arms being closer together on the diff than the chassis, as the rear diff moves over, the straighter arm pushes the diff backward on one side, while the other pulls it in as it angles more, so th car ends up with a longer wheelbase on one side and a shorter wheelbase on the other.

The 4 wheel alignment would show the toe being pos one side and neg the other normally when being done when its out.

even at a 50mm lift it alters the wheelbase side to side and you have to stagger the front to stop the vehicle wanting to crab down the road.

It also can effect when hard braking, making the vehicles rear want to head out to the side.

The only way to overcome this is to use an adjustable panhard rod.

at 3" lift 8-12mm is the perfect extra length.

social-feed

195_zpsjjqhlmxi.jpg

I'll have the Blackhawk installed in mine in a weeks time, I'll put up some photos then. Also allows for any slight twist in the bush so it's nice and relaxed.

TOUGH DOG says you do not need UCA or a PANHARD BAR due to the lift being 40mm up front and 20 in the rear.
In the big picture UCA's and a PANHARD BAR are not that over the top expensive so I think it's good insurance. Don't cheap out on your LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom