Radio Delete Fender Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I don't want an antenna - just bluetooth and XM.
Rumor has it, when a Pickup was ordered without a radio, there was still a hole in the fender... just plugged with a little black, rubber plug.
So now, I'm trying to find a "radio delete fender plug" and having no luck. Any idea where I could find that thing?
My ebaygoogle searching has failed me.

IMG_6429.jpeg

I really don't want put an antenna there just to keep the fender from filling with water.

Not much help on that particular plug, but i got my antenna cord delete plug at the stealer. I just run that hole open. (you should've had the body shop fill it :flipoff2: )

Last edited:
should've had the body shop fill it
Body guy: I couldn't find your antenna when we were assembling...
Me: Oh, I'm not going to use one
Body guy: If I'd known that, I'd have filled it

Still think the hole should be there. If nothing else, the next owner may want to run an antenna.

Ooooh... My daughter is in AP trig and calc... I'll have her measure the oval and tell me what size circle has the same circumference... then I'll heat and reshape a round plug... Yeah, I'm sure that'll work.

@FishTacos thanks. Even if that one doesn't work (looks kinda big), the idea is good - other cars with radio delete plugs. I bet the import street/drift guys are doing that... you know, like adding the big red tow ring 'cause it's a race car now. Another category to search!

I've made a lot of block off plates out of 1/8" aluminum or steel...then have had it painted to match or powdercoated. Aluminum is cool to use as it allows a really nice radius on the edge...looks good when painted. We've even done some and put a small logo or design in them. That hole is pretty big though.....might be tough to cover it from the outside.

Do one on both sides....then nobody would know :)

I'd take a piece of sheet metal painted body color and seam seal it on from the back side. Make it a smidge overlapped and then you can tell people it's a factory punch out option for a antenna :rofl:

Legit didn't even read the thread before replying. Nice idea c2dfj45! ;)

Both solid ideas... but really, there is supposed to be an O.E. fender delete plug. Clearly, I'm going to have to get in the wayback machine to get one. If this thing is more myth than legend, I'll just put an antenna in there and tuck the cable behind the dash. Or, maybe a CB mount.

The factory plug being there is a moot point if the truck shipped with a radio. If it didn't ship with a radio, then the plug is definitely worth 99.9% of the resale value (tongue in cheek) There's a whole bunch of things that go along with the purest mindset that I don't reckon this truck meets in order for the plug to be worth it. If one day you find a plug, reverse whatever you did and slap it in there but it's not worth losing sleep over. just my .02 cents, lol...

Well, yeah... sure. When you put it that way. ;)

Both solid ideas... but really, there is supposed to be an O.E. fender delete plug. Clearly, I'm going to have to get in the wayback machine to get one. If this thing is more myth than legend, I'll just put an antenna in there and tuck the cable behind the dash. Or, maybe a CB mount.
I did just happen to see a shorty TRD carbon fiber antenna on eBay for less than ten bucks. You would still have to make a little stand-off or it would stick out at a dumb angle.

Black Carbon Fiber TRD Sports Style Short Antenna for Toyota 4.7" Inch | eBay

There are a bunch of listings for that item. Obviously not period correct but at least it's kind of minimalist.

Thanks @FishTacos. I may put one of those eBay short antennas (or even a factory one) there for a while. It's funny how I was so focused on the big parts when doing all the bodywork, door and fender swaps, that I really didn't pay much attention to the little things like the antenna, door lock pulls/buttons, etc. Now that the truck is sitting in the garage I'm dwelling on minuscule details - I considered getting new Philips head screws for the shifter bezel... yeah... I know.

Drove Patty to a meeting Friday. Not far - 30 minutes there and back. It was more of a "proof of concept" trip, e.g. can she hold her own in Atlanta traffic (a 14-lane, aggressive, lane-switching, 75 mph battle) with a bunch of the normal office park kinda stuff. Gotta say, this could be come my daily driver once it has a bed. I really do love driving this old truck.

IMG_6525.png

Waze had my speed at 75 when the truck's speedo showed 65. Really, she felt fine at that speed. 5th gear was perfect - didn't feel the need to downshift on (very slight) hills or like it was revving too high. I did feel more comfortable around 65 mph though. No bed = almost useless rear brakes. The truck just needs more weight and/or a leaf pulled from the packs - it's riding high and too stiff.

can she hold her own in Atlanta traffic (a 14-lane, aggressive, lane-switching, 75 mph battle)

Long ago I used to spend a fair amount of time in Atlanta launching products at the now gone Ford plant. All the peeps wanted stay in Buckhead for the night life. Since people in factories start early (6:30 ish) the morning drive wasn't bad. But the afternoon rush hour :mad:

Speaking of Buckhead circa 1999 - Me "I can't believe they just sold me beers at 4:45 AM." Co-worker drinking buddy "I can't believe you ordered beers at 4:45 AM!"

Ha. Even in my newer, faster, safer 100, I avoid Atlanta traffic - morning rush hour starts a 6:30am, ends at 10:30. Lunch rush starts at 11am, ends at 2pm. Afternoon rush starts at 3pm, ends at 7pm.

By the way, meant to post the "proof of concept" trip in my build thread. Oh well.

I did buy a plug this morning. Thanks @yotadude520 and @FishTacos for the links... those led down some rabbit holes to a Mustang plug that looks like the Honda plug that is the shape and size of the Toyota hole... maybe. I'll know in a couple days. Solving the critical problems here.

Thanks @FishTacos. I may put one of those eBay short antennas (or even a factory one) there for a while. It's funny how I was so focused on the big parts when doing all the bodywork, door and fender swaps, that I really didn't pay much attention to the little things like the antenna, door lock pulls/buttons, etc. Now that the truck is sitting in the garage I'm dwelling on minuscule details - I considered getting new Philips head screws for the shifter bezel... yeah... I know.

It's all relative. I take pride in the fit and finish on a project.....the last 10% of a project is as noticeable as the first 90%.

If i see a truck that's 90% with arb's and duals and all the bells and whistles but the interior/exterior is trash or it rides like a haywagon that's the 10% that gets noticed.

If you see a bone stock truck with a mint exterior/drivetrain and the interior is trashed, that's what you notice.

If you see a $200,000 resto mod car that is absolutely mint and susp. Engine. Everything done out and you pop the hood and it doesnt have 300 hours of wire tucking, that's the 10% you notice.

When certain things are done, I get a sense of expectation of other things to be done.

On one hand I appreciate the time and energy and the quality of whats there... but on the other hand is a deeper appreciation for whats not done but should get done.

The main thing to keep a project on track is having a defined outcome. Of course with a trailer bush buggy the outcome is differemt than a highway truck that sees an FSR....... may never get to the finer details because the truck only sees 100km a year in double low range bouncing around and youre constantly repairing or upgrading major components. Smaller details dont matter so much.

Like I said, it's all relative. I swapped out my split and worn out pedal pads for Bnew ones and my quality of life while driving my truck went up... my trucks a daily driver. I notice that kind of sh!t.

Last edited: