Question about 40 Series Hunt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys I’m new here and came
Across this forum after one of my friends told me to try listing the FJ40 for sale here.

I have a 1968 that needs work which I’m willing to let go for less than 5,000 dollars. I’ll look for the classified section on post there with pictures.

Good luck on the red FJ, that thing looks awesome!

Agree 100%. Yes it has rust. But owner is fully disclosing it and isn’t trying to hide anything. I’ll probably get a better feel for it in person. About to hit the road. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Take plenty more pics and let us know how this turns out. Don't let your emotions get ahead of you. Offer what you consider a fair price and don't be afraid to walk. If it was a really good deal, it would have sold immediately.

Well I wouldn't pay over $15K for that but maybe that's the market....... Good luck.

I was looking at the 84 FJ40 LX that you linked in 43 thread. I see it has sold. There were a few things I thought were odd for a 84 LX but at around $15K plus shipping made this 77 look mighty pricey. Since the OP has opened up to the idea of petrol models and looking at $20K cruisers would think it would be a good idea to explore the Middle East market. As time goes by thinking of trying to get a title for a 82 tub and frame I have. Have enough loose parts around to complete it. Compared to the rust I'm seeing on cruisers and prices being asked it's not that bad.

I was looking at the 84 FJ40 LX that you linked in 43 thread. I see it has sold. There were a few things I thought were odd for a 84 LX but at around $15K plus shipping made this 77 look mighty pricey. Since the OP has opened up to the idea of petrol models and looking at $20K cruisers would think it would be a good idea to explore the Middle East market. As time goes by thinking of trying to get a title for a 82 tub and frame I have. Have enough loose parts around to complete it. Compared to the rust I'm seeing on cruisers and prices being asked it's not that bad.

That one sold before I could make a deal. I think he used my interest in the vehicle to finalize the deal he had going with another buyer. It went to someone in the UAE for 48k SAR. That's $12,800 US. I offered him 50 but the deal with the other buyer was already done.

I continue to look. Saw a 1982 with factory AC and PS. Looked OK but only one photo. From the same area as the LX (high elevation and bone dry). They are asking 68k SAR for it which is probably a bit high but I am trying to get more photos/information. They are here and I think reasonably priced but it's not an easy market to navigate.

That one sold before I could make a deal. I think he used my interest in the vehicle to finalize the deal he had going with another buyer. It went to someone in the UAE for 48k SAR. That's $12,800 US. I offered him 50 but the deal with the other buyer was already done.

I continue to look. Saw a 1982 with factory AC and PS. Looked OK but only one photo. From the same area as the LX (high elevation and bone dry). They are asking 68k SAR for it which is probably a bit high but I am trying to get more photos/information. They are here and I think reasonably priced but it's not an easy market to navigate.

What I thought was odd about the 84 LX was it have a four speed. Thought all 83/84 LX models would have the five speed. It would have a H41 and the five speed is the same gearing with a overdrive. The H42 is a friendlier pavement transmission but not that common in most other markets. It also had the old style knob on the glovebox door. I know RHD did not get the 8/80+ twist knob but seen Middle East 40 series with the twist knob.

There’s a lot to be said about a truck that hasn’t been monkeyed with. With the red one, you may be paying a small premium but you know what you’re going to get. I would be happy with a purchase price in the high teens on that one.

Love the statement "this has to be one of the nicest cruisers left" Looks to me like the Ambi door header is badly rotted and was repained a long time ago. Looks like parts of this rig were repainted. Current owner probably was told paint is original when he bought it last year. We all have stacks of receipts, doesn't mean someone will give us a refund when we sell the rig.:lol: I wouldn't go off what he says on the paint being factory original. Bring a good flashlight and magnet.

As Geezer said, post up some pics for us:popcorn:

I can't imagine paying $20K for a rig that needs at least $15K+ in bodywork. All doors rusted through is spots. Hard top shot. Hard sides completely rotted in spots. The dreaded tub rail is rotted. Ambi headed rotted about gusset. I see rust bulging on the rocker. Bet those rear quarters are hiding a surprise.

@Living in the Past was this seam caulked like this from the factory?
99FAEA74-60B6-481D-9688-571A951C9AD4.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s a lot to be said about a truck that hasn’t been monkeyed with. With the red one, you may be paying a small premium but you know what you’re going to get. I would be happy with a purchase price in the high teens on that one.

Totally agree. PO’s do some of the worst things sometimes. Wiring rats nest, bondo, using beer cans and signs for patches, stop-leak, upside down bezel.

I ended up purchasing the Freeborn Red 40. I drove it home from Longview yesterday (which was exhausting!).

After checking it out in person, it is incredibly well preserved. Only a couple of small rust areas that the Seller fully disclosed. I went all over the truck for over an hour with a magnet and electronic paint gauge. Plus a thorough test drive, including some light off-roading.

Yes, I paid a premium for the truck. Probably more than most people on the forum would advise. But as @fireball mentioned, worth it for a truck they you know hasn’t been monkeyed with.

I’ll start a separate build thread soon.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!

BEECB2-CB-300-E-4380-AE6-B-304-A1-ED68232.jpg

99-D420-F8-DA7-C-43-B4-BEED-98-A0-A3924-F23.jpg

I ended up purchasing the Freeborn Red 40. I drove it home from Longview yesterday (which was exhausting!).

After checking it out in person, it is incredibly well preserved. Only a couple of small rust areas that the Seller fully disclosed. I went all over the truck for over an hour with a magnet and electronic paint gauge. Plus a thorough test drive, including some light off-roading.

Yes, I paid a premium for the truck. Probably more than most people on the forum would advise. But as @fireball mentioned, worth it for a truck they you know hasn’t been monkeyed with.

I’ll start a separate build thread soon.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!

BEECB2-CB-300-E-4380-AE6-B-304-A1-ED68232.jpg

99-D420-F8-DA7-C-43-B4-BEED-98-A0-A3924-F23.jpg
Congrats! Like he said, if you had a magnet and paint gauge and didn’t find any big messes then that’s a good thing. Very hard to find rigs not totally hacked anymore.

New suspension will help with that ride.

Love the statement "this has to be one of the nicest cruisers left" Looks to me like the Ambi door header is badly rotted and was repained a long time ago. Looks like parts of this rig were repainted. Current owner probably was told paint is original when he bought it last year. We all have stacks of receipts, doesn't mean someone will give us a refund when we sell the rig.:lol: I wouldn't go off what he says on the paint being factory original. Bring a good flashlight and magnet.

As Geezer said, post up some pics for us:popcorn:

I can't imagine paying $20K for a rig that needs at least $15K+ in bodywork. All doors rusted through is spots. Hard top shot. Hard sides completely rotted in spots. The dreaded tub rail is rotted. Ambi headed rotted about gusset. I see rust bulging on the rocker. Bet those rear quarters are hiding a surprise.

@Living in the Past was this seam caulked like this from the factory?
View attachment 2015768

Funny never got this alert yesterday. Yes Toyota did use seam sealer.

I just caught this thread and have to say, nice move on buying it. That is very minimal rust. Also I would strongly consider preserving the existing finish and let it look old and cool, especially if that's original paint. Spend your money on the mechanical stuff and enjoy it.

I just caught this thread and have to say, nice move on buying it. That is very minimal rust. Also I would strongly consider preserving the existing finish and let it look old and cool, especially if that's original paint. Spend your money on the mechanical stuff and enjoy it.

Thank you!

I have seriously considered your suggestion about preservation. I just want to repair the rust because I don't want it to get any worse.

But I really like the patina look.

Also, you can check out my build thread here: 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build

Hard top corners...
2594-D982-F79-C-49-BD-9153-886-F32-B31-AE2.jpg

27-DA2-B4-A-BCFD-49-EC-BBDC-D2-F8-F94036-D7.jpg

Maybe someone more familiar with rust can explain why this location rusted? I was given a pair of hard top sides years around. The passenger's side is rusted here. Other side is fine and area along the top where it bolts to the cap is fine on both sides as well.
IMG_20190520_135244201.jpg
IMG_20190520_135934742.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom