Question about 40 Series Hunt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Edit: I finally purchased a 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40. You can check out my build thread here: 1977 Freeborn Red FJ40 Patina Build

Big thanks to all of the members who helped with my search!!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As some of you already know, I've decided to sell my '93 FZJ80 and start looking for a 40 series. Ultimately, the 40 series is what I always wanted, but I convinced myself that an 80 was better due to "comfort." Realistically for me they would both be toys, so I might as well get exactly what I want if I'm going to have a weekend-toy Land Cruiser.

Anyway, I'm having trouble in how to approach the search for my 40 series Land Cruiser. Ultimately I would like to own or build the following truck:

• Freeborn Red Paint Color
  • Hardtop
  • Rust Free or Low Rust
  • Diesel
  • 5-speed
  • LHD
  • Decently well-maintained
  • Relatively stockish (no SOA, custom bumpers, swapped axles, custom roll cage, etc.)

Someone way more knowledgeable than me once advised, "Look for a rust-free Land Cruiser. You can perform all of the other mechanical work yourself." I think that's good advice because I can't do paint and body work, and finding people who are good at it is expensive.

In my opinion, if someone is selling a "rust free" 40 series, it's one of five scenarios:

1. True frame-off restoration for $80k to $100k, which I can't afford, and would be afraid to drive anyway
  2. Aqualu Tub (which I don't know much about, but would consider)
  3. "Lipstick on a Pig" truck with pretty paint and bodywork but tons of other issues
  4. It has a realistic amount of rust and is otherwise a well-maintained 40 series
  5. They're lying

What type of truck should I be looking for? A southwestern truck from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California with a reasonable amount of rust? Import with a factory diesel (but probably lots of rust) and unknown history? Something else entirely?

Thanks for your help!

BJ40.jpg

1978-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40-153068177289cc14862c-BJ01-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to mod and customize the 40 like you’ve done your 80 (absolutely love your 80 and wish it fit my plans for family camping)?

What’s the “plan” for your future 40?

All rust is not equal. There are a couple of threads on here about maintenance of patina
in the presence of rust. I tend to think at this point that even the arizona trucks (if original)
are going to have rust. So my thoughts are gauge how much time you can put into it first,
then judge what you can do with that time...mechanical...cosmetic....just drive it. If you can't
spend much time on mechanical..then focus on finding solid mechanical. At least you can
drive it if it solid in that dept.

A minimal rust factory diesel 40 series are very hard to find, and/or very pricey.

If you can do all the mechanical work, then 100% yes go for the best body you can find...and if you aren't afraid that might be a non-runner no engine. Which could be OK if you want to swap to diesel.

LHD diesel will mainly be Canada...big rust issues, but there are other places to look.
Are you set on diesel?
Would you consider a swap?
There aren't many (no factory I"m aware of) 5 Spd US Market FJ40's

Toyota Diesels are great, but they can be pricey. Ask me...I just rebuilt my 13BT, new turbo, rebuild Injection pump, injectors everything. Injection Pump and Injectors alone you are looking $1,500+ on the low side. The non-turbo 4 cylinder Toyota diesels are quite slow and usually by this age are in need of some maintenance.

This all depends on what exactly you HAVE to have. diesel? 5 Spd?
Me, I would start with the cleanest, least rust FJ40 body I could find. Then at that point decide if I"m going 2F, hi-po 2f fuel injection, diesel swap, V8 swap whatever. The h55F 5 Spd is a great transmission from Toyota.

Are you going to mod and customize the 40 like you’ve done your 80 (absolutely love your 80 and wish it fit my plans for family camping)?

What’s the “plan” for your future 40?

Thank you for the compliment!

Yes, I would most likely customize it like I did my 80. I have realized that I enjoy wrenching on Toyota 4x4s just as much as I love driving them.

Depending on the state of the truck when I get it, future mods might be:

• Air Conditioning
  • Power Steering
  • 2.5" OME Lift
  • 33" BFG Tires on OEM steelies
  • Toyota diesel swap (if not factory diesel)
  • 5-speed transmission
  • Orion transfer case
  • Harrop E-Lockers
  • Front Disc Brakes
  • On Board Air
  • Rear axle swap to full-float and rear parking brake
  • Factory-ish stereo system

All rust is not equal. There are a couple of threads on here about maintenance of patina
in the presence of rust. I tend to think at this point that even the arizona trucks (if original)
are going to have rust. So my thoughts are gauge how much time you can put into it first,
then judge what you can do with that time...mechanical...cosmetic....just drive it. If you can't
spend much time on mechanical..then focus on finding solid mechanical. At least you can

I agree, there is a difference between surface rust "patina" and a rust-bucket that is falling apart. My thing is, I have plenty of time to wrench on the truck, and can do anything mechanical. But I cannot do paint and body work. That's why I think it's important to get a relatively rust free truck in the correct color, and then do everything else myself.

As you're looking for a pretty specific set of options; Diesel, 5 speed, hard top....

Why not buy this and drive it for a while?

You could always do a proper color change to Freeborn Red down the road...or even better drive it and fall in love with the blue and don't paint it! Then you could buy another no roof having Freeborn Red FJ40 for around town.

Good luck on your quest!!

I'm going to throw some thoughts your way... but go ahead and also tell us what you want to do with your 40.

I'm a 40-owner and recovering-80-owner. I'm still not over the loss of my 80. Honestly, you're gonna regret letting it go. The 80 really is hard to beat. I replaced my 80 with a 75-series Troopy on the way out of the Middle East and I'm still not sure I made the right call. But I didn't have to pick between my 80 or 40... so not in your shoes. =)

You say this truck is going to be a weekend toy Land Cruiser. The 40 could fit the bill. Is it just you? You and a spouse? You and a full family? Trails only? Trails and camping/overnighters?

If you want a 40 with diesel and want to make treks to places around Texas and outside Texas, you're gonna want that 5-speed and you're gonna want something more than a B-engine. Honestly, based on how you did your 80 I'm thinking you are going to want more than just a stock drivetrain 40. You're gonna want a 1HZ swapped in. You CAN cross-country and go camping/overnighting in a stock drivetrain 40... and may even enjoy it... but a more modern and powerful drivetrain will give your more options/flexibility/adaptability.

I'd also add a few things to your list... AC, at least front discs, power steering.

All this said @cbmontgo is a wonderful example of a stock drivetrain, no AC, manual steering weekend toy that is perfectly daily-driver reliable. His truck makes me wish I hadn't body-off restored my 40.

I'd take a hard look at where you want to end up with your 40... and then a good starting point to get you there. Perhaps a red, low-to-no rust truck with blown engine. But that's getting pretty picky. =)

A minimal rust factory diesel 40 series are very hard to find, and/or very pricey.

If you can do all the mechanical work, then 100% yes go for the best body you can find...and if you aren't afraid that might be a non-runner no engine. Which could be OK if you want to swap to diesel.

LHD diesel will mainly be Canada...big rust issues, but there are other places to look.
Are you set on diesel?
Would you consider a swap?
There aren't many (no factory I"m aware of) 5 Spd US Market FJ40's

Toyota Diesels are great, but they can be pricey. Ask me...I just rebuilt my 13BT, new turbo, rebuild Injection pump, injectors everything. Injection Pump and Injectors alone you are looking $1,500+ on the low side. The non-turbo 4 cylinder Toyota diesels are quite slow and usually by this age are in need of some maintenance.

This all depends on what exactly you HAVE to have. diesel? 5 Spd?
Me, I would start with the cleanest, least rust FJ40 body I could find. Then at that point decide if I"m going 2F, hi-po 2f fuel injection, diesel swap, V8 swap whatever. The h55F 5 Spd is a great transmission from Toyota.

Yessir, I'm set on a diesel. The main things I want are:

• Freeborn Red (rust free)
  • Hardtop
  • Diesel
  • 5-speed
I'm not opposed to a diesel swap and I think I could do it myself if it was a Toyota motor. So probably my best bet is clean, "rust free," US spec truck in Freeborn Red, then do everything else myself.

As you're looking for a pretty specific set of options; Diesel, 5 speed, hard top....

You could always do a proper color change to Freeborn Red down the road...or even better drive it and fall in love with the blue and don't paint it! Then you could buy another no roof having Freeborn Red FJ40 for around town.

I saw that truck and was VERY interested in it. But I've never purchased online from an auction site, and I assumed it had more rust because Canada.

What's you price point? That sounds like an expensive rig.

I was talking with my son last night and realized for all the money I've spent, I could have bought a frame and body from Acqualu and assembled a virtually new truck for less than I've got into mine - which is still very much a project and falls into the 'pig with lipstick' category.

I'm going to throw some thoughts your way... but go ahead and also tell us what you want to do with your 40.

I'm a 40-owner and recovering-80-owner. I'm still not over the loss of my 80. Honestly, you're gonna regret letting it go. The 80 really is hard to beat. I replaced my 80 with a 75-series Troopy on the way out of the Middle East and I'm still not sure I made the right call. But I didn't have to pick between my 80 or 40... so not in your shoes. =)

You say this truck is going to be a weekend toy Land Cruiser. The 40 could fit the bill. Is it just you? You and a spouse? You and a full family? Trails only? Trails and camping/overnighters?

If you want a 40 with diesel and want to make treks to places around Texas and outside Texas, you're gonna want that 5-speed and you're gonna want something more than a B-engine. Honestly, based on how you did your 80 I'm thinking you are going to want more than just a stock drivetrain 40. You're gonna want a 1HZ swapped in. You CAN cross-country and go camping/overnighting in a stock drivetrain 40... and may even enjoy it... but a more modern and powerful drivetrain will give your more options/flexibility/adaptability.

I'd also add a few things to your list... AC, at least front discs, power steering.

All this said @cbmontgo is a wonderful example of a stock drivetrain, no AC, manual steering weekend toy that is perfectly daily-driver reliable. His truck makes me wish I hadn't body-off restored my 40.

I'd take a hard look at where you want to end up with your 40... and then a good starting point to get you there. Perhaps a red, low-to-no rust truck with blown engine. But that's getting pretty picky. =)

Thank you for your insight!

I agree with most of your analysis. But the reality is, I didn't really drive my 80 like I thought I would. I would take day and weekend trips in the truck, but would mostly just drive it out to the lake (an hour away). I never took it camping or on a long road trip. It was truly a weekend truck for coffee runs or short drives. If I had to take a long road-trip, I would probably take my new Tacoma.

So, if I'm not using the 80 series as a "highway" truck and taking long road trips or going camping with it, then what am I doing?

I saw that truck and was VERY interested in it. But I've never purchased online from an auction site, and I assumed it had more rust because Canada.

It looks pretty straight and has been in the US for 16 years. As you live in a dry climate you can likely take your time with any rust abatement. The panels are all available and truthfully it doesn't look that bad as it sits...

BAT is a reputable site and the truck you're looking for isn't that common in the US.

:)

What's you price point? That sounds like an expensive rig.

I was talking with my son last night and realized for all the money I've spent, I could have bought a frame and body from Acqualu and assembled a virtually new truck for less than I've got into mine - which is still very much a project and falls into the 'pig with lipstick' category.

Budget is $25k to $30K, but I would go as high as $40k for the right truck.

Yessir, I'm set on a diesel. The main things I want are:

• Freeborn Red (rust free)
  • Hardtop
  • Diesel
  • 5-speed
I'm not opposed to a diesel swap and I think I could do it myself if it was a Toyota motor. So probably my best bet is clean, "rust free," US spec truck in Freeborn Red, then do everything else myself.

So with this, I still agree on finding the nicest body you can find.

That BJ42 looks pretty nice and solid but I'm sure there is more rust hiding, then again they pretty much all have that. I'd make sure to get photos of underneath and axles. There is evidence of SOME repaint/overspray on the door striker on the drivers side. I also would want a cold start video and compression if possible. In that video that engine is fully up to operating temp it looks like according to gauges. Overall it looks like a pretty solid candidate from what I can see from the limited pictures.

Importing could get you what you want, but add $3-$4k to the price unless its Canada.

You WILL want a turbo lol. My BJ74 drivetrain wise is exactly want you want. Factory turbo diesel, 5 speed, split case, lockers on 255/85r16's. (33's) On the highway at 65mph, I'm turning 2350rpms. Averaging on a new rebuild (3 tanks) 20.5mpg. I wouldn't want any less power.

I've had 6 80 series from stock to really built. They are fantastic all over. But they are not a 40 series. I completely get wanting a 40 over an 80. IMO, it is THE land cruiser. I have a sweet BJ74, but I would trade it for the right, nice 40 series.

Buy the BJ42 on BAT and worry about the color later. It's the easiest thing to change if you really, really, really have to have red.

i wanted green or blue... bought white... been driving it for 28+ years white

Had the opportunity to change it several times... never did... you will love the truck for what it is ... any color

IF you do not like the truck for what it is ... you will most likely sell it :meh:

So with this, I still agree on finding the nicest body you can find.

Agreed. I think the lynch-pin issue is the paint and body work. I can do everything else myself.

You WILL want a turbo lol. My BJ74 drivetrain wise is exactly want you want. Factory turbo diesel, 5 speed, split case, lockers on 255/85r16's. (33's) On the highway at 65mph, I'm turning 2350rpms. Averaging on a new rebuild (3 tanks) 20.5mpg. I wouldn't want any less power.

What engine code is your diesel BJ74? 13BT?

I've had 6 80 series from stock to really built. They are fantastic all over. But they are not a 40 series. I completely get wanting a 40 over an 80. IMO, it is THE land cruiser. I have a sweet BJ74, but I would trade it for the right, nice 40 series.

Agree 100%. Every time I tell someone that I own a Land Cruiser, there first question is, "Oh cool! The old 40 series???" Even if they don't know anything about Land Cruisers or 4x4s, they know about the 40 series. It is the epitome of Land Cruiser. I just don't want to compromise. Maybe I'll own another 80 series one day (potentially for my 6BT/NV4500 diesel swap).

But for now, I want a 40 series.

Buy the BJ42 on BAT and worry about the color later. It's the easiest thing to change if you really, really, really have to have red.

Really? I think paint and bodywork is the most difficult thing to change. "Professionals" just rattle can something on and call it done. It's a service industry that I am not comfortable with.

You are correct all original AZ FJ40 have rust. Stay away from AZ. Original FJ40s are hardest to hide rust. Fancy new paint job hard to tell what's been hidden. I passed a beige 77 or 78 FJ40 in the Phoenix area for years. Sitting in a driveway and paint keeps fading. But no signs of rust and rust stains on the paint. Few years ago another beige 77 or 78 showed in the same neighborhood. First time I noticed this had to double check it wasn't the same one. This one is covered most the time. Some times behind a fence and some times parked next to the garage. This one is at least as nice as the other one. Haven't inquired about either since I already have two AZ rust free beige FJ40s that don't exist.

While the 83 should be new enough to have a Carfax history not sure if it's time in Canada will be there. Also saying it only has a five digit odometer is a red flag. 81 plus models had six digit odometers even in other markets. I won't even consider buying this one without doing a personal inspection. Again who knows what is really under that new paint. Canada is not know to be kind to cruisers as far as rust. Imported 2003 still spend twenty year there. Not saying it couldn't be rust free just would need to inspect it personally since odds are against it being rust free.

Color isn't the easiest thing to change. At least not if you want it done properly.

My take...
Get picky and be patient. Look for an honest, original-paint, Freeborn Red FJ40. If you find one that's a tired old 2F just snag it and do the engine swap. On the side I'd be accumulating what you need to put a nice 1HZ and H55 in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom