Public Service Announcement; De-Chroming Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Manuchao, did the PC shop blast them to de-crome or did you have a Chrome shop take it off? I appreciate the advice, I'm new to messing with chrome and PC.

Here are the handles powder coated in flat black.....

They came out pretty nice..

I'll be parked for a while so I'll have plenty of time to have them installed and black out the rest of my rig....

Manu....
P1010768 (Medium).JPG
P1010769 (Medium).JPG
P1010770 (Medium).JPG

Here are the handles powder coated in flat black.....

They came out pretty nice..

I'll be parked for a while so I'll have plenty of time to have them installed and black out the rest of my rig....

Manu....

Those look really great. Do you mind sending my a pm with the info about the powder coat place you used, they should be close to me. :cheers:

Close up cross section of the window lock strip.

On the left is the correct one, almost a perfect "D", on the right a similar but different and WRONG version, whose sides are, well...plump. I got three bags and one was incorrect, but it had the same item number (WLS466) and manufacturer (Precision) on them. The bag was a little different and had a cardboard insert. If you see cardboard, you likely have the wrong item. Further, not only is that type the wrong shape, but the wrong material. It is stiffer and more PVC-like and not particularly workable. I think it is teflon or vinyl-based, not rubber like the correct version.
P1010001.jpg

I just bought a 100 foot roll from my glass shop. $65. Its for an 848 windshield is what it says on the invoice. The lady at the glass shop knew exactly what it was right away. The windows look SIGNIFICANTLY better with this.

You did all 4? Two side, windshield and hatch?

You did all 4? Two side, windshield and hatch?

Yeah i did all of them. Probably used 50 feet. Im about to just buy a whole new windshield gasket though as i noticed some cracking and crap starting to get below it. Toyota sells a gasket without the chrome strip part.

BTW-- the windshield was a giant PITA to do, the corners are a bitch.

I also got rid of that stainless/chrome crap on all the doors. You CAN get rid of all of it with no issues. Including the stuff on the base of the window attaching it to the window felt. I like the chrome door handles and logos- just all that other crap was too much.

You can? I thought the chrome strip was a necessary part of the weatherstripping at the bottom of the window?

You can? I thought the chrome strip was a necessary part of the weatherstripping at the bottom of the window?

Its not. I just did it. It seals up fine. Theres some window felt thread on here you can look at. Apparently there are part #s for window felt that doesnt need the chrome piece but they look EXACTLY the same as the normal ones. And they fit EXACTLY the same after looking at the pics. The only thing i did was order 22 (@2.50 apiece:doh:) of the plastic clips from sor to replace the metal ones that were rusting.

GLTH- Im about to head to work Ill PM you back later

Its not. I just did it. It seals up fine. Theres some window felt thread on here you can look at. Apparently there are part #s for window felt that doesnt need the chrome piece but they look EXACTLY the same as the normal ones. And they fit EXACTLY the same after looking at the pics. The only thing i did was order 22 (@2.50 apiece:doh:) of the plastic clips from sor to replace the metal ones that were rusting.

GLTH- Im about to head to work Ill PM you back later

Now I understand. :cheers:

was there paint under the chrome strips on the door frame? How did you pry them off? Thanks

was there paint under the chrome strips on the door frame? How did you pry them off? Thanks

There is paint under the chrome of the door. I pulled all mine in prep for paint. I'm not putting any of it back on. The top corners of hte window frame are a bit rough edged, so probably smooth out with some filler before primer/paint. I think it will look way better! I need to order the black window squeegie bits next...

So many projects so little time!

rob

Still working on this (not incredibly hard I'll be the first to admit ;p) but my window guy has been a bit impossible to get a hold of, and to get him to actually send me the roll he has.

Also no luck finding the actual distributer, so does anyone have the packaging or label from the 848 stuff? Maybe we can find the manufacturer and I can just bring in a huge roll of it to send out as needed. It seems that the local window places are about 50-50 as to being helpful on this, so there are still a lot of folks that need to get their hands on some.

KR

I got 4 strips from my local glass shop. I think they were $10 each. One strip for each window--the windshield, rear window, and two side cargo area windows. The part number is WLS 466 and on the label it also says REF DLS848/853. The bag has a logo on it that says "Precision Replacement Parts Corp", and "The First Word in Windshield Installation Parts".

Here is their website.

http://www.prp.com/

Last edited:
I got 4 strips from my local glass shop. I think they were $10 each. One strip for each window--the windshield, rear window, and two side cargo area windows. The part number is WLS466 and on the label it also says REF DLS848/853. The bag has a logo on it that says "Precision Replacement Parts Corp", and "The First Word in Windshield Installation Parts".

Here is their website.

Precision Replacement Parts - Welcome

thank you for the info, i was able to call them and use my business info and buy a roll. i can not wait to install it . killer pricing too..

:clap:

I have heard that removing the chorme around the roll-ups was easy. Is there anything that can be put thier place once removed? Is the only solution to paint the metal underneith?

hey by the way your welt job looks awesome.

Sorry if I hi-jacked.

I have heard that removing the chorme around the roll-ups was easy. Is there anything that can be put thier place once removed? Is the only solution to paint the metal underneith?

hey by the way your welt job looks awesome.

Sorry if I hi-jacked.

The chrome around the windows in the doors? You don't need to replace it with anything, simply remove. The metal behind will have paint on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom