Public Service Announcement; De-Chroming Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have searched a few different Glass shops in Denver, even E-mailed a Shop manager, the picture from the top of this thread and STILL can't find this stuff!

Edit -

Kevin, Since you have a little business going maybe you should sell this stuff too!!! Please?

I have searched a few different Glass shops in Denver, even E-mailed a Shop manager, the picture from the top of this thread and STILL can't find this stuff!

Edit -

Kevin, Since you have a little business going maybe you should sell this stuff too!!! Please?

Are you talking about the welting stuff around the windows? I found of shop here in tucson that I bought the stuck by the ft. (the had it on a spool), there's two different sizes. The ones for the side and the front and rear window are small size. I'll try to find there number and the part# or a way to ID the product. They might do phone orders?

Are you talking about the welting stuff around the windows?

yeah, I can't find it anywhere, and the glass shops around here are no help.

the welting on a 73-87 gmc truck looks very similar. Your local shop might be able to look it up using that truck.

the welting on a 73-87 gmc truck looks very similar. Your local shop might be able to look it up using that truck.

Pretty sure that is what I was told it was from.
I have more info written down about it somewhere, someone PMed me about helping them find some of this years ago and I lost the PM, now lets see if I can find the info. :doh:
The stuff was pretty cost effective, maybe I'll see if I can find a whole roll to divi up.

That would be sweet!

I would be your first customer.

Any word on this trim ??

Yes, please.

It's always looked like old Dodge Ram windshield gasket lock strip. My guy had to pull my back window out a couple years ago when I locked the keys in my '84 at Vato Zone, & the bottom chrome strip didn't make it back in. So I'm somewhat motivated to find the lock strip (got my Aussie sliding quarter windows in yesterday so I don't need any there - had the frames powdercoated black).

Kevin, if you could chime in here & let us know what they sold/gave you I'll check with my suppliers (I'm a PPG auto glass dealer). Also, I need your door sealing trim, including the hatch, so don't forget me.

Tip on painting the chrome belt moldings: Morton's black. It'll cover anything & stick. Used to be able to get it at auto paint stores (no rattle cans unless they make 'em up special - you need a compressor & a paint gun). Scuff the surface 1st with steel wool or a "green scratchy" (ScotchBrite).

5280 - Ever get to Rastle Cock? I'm right off I25 at exit 184. 84Cruiser is next door. 2BadFJs used to be across the alley. We can change your lock strips out if you don't want to. Even give you the Cruiser Bro rate!

Kevin, if you could chime in here & let us know what they sold/gave you I'll check with my suppliers (I'm a PPG auto glass dealer).

Also, I need your door sealing trim, including the hatch, so don't forget me.

I'm having trouble finding the stuff as well. As best I can remember, they told me it was for an older US auto maker, Chevy or GM, and that it was "very common, all auto glass place should have it" This was years ago, in a more rural area and there may just not be much of a demand for this older stuff anymore.
However, as I was reading your post, I somehow remembered the name of the guy that originally helped me out with this stuff, Joel, I will dig up the shop number (this was back home were I used to live) and see if I can get a hold of that him.

And Tinker, I just got in the fresh boxes or door seals, haven't divided them up, but there is a set there for you.
:cheers:

I had already removed my back window to address some of the rust which had developed under there and didn't want to put the chrome back in. I was thinking I would have to get new seals, but this saves the day. Like the look a 100% better

Hey Kevin is it too late to get on the door seals- I got the rear hatch and it works perfect.
thanks

well!

Was going to sand and paint mine, want the shiny gone. But am waiting to see if anybody comes up with a part numbed or something. :hmm:

Joel's not with that shop anymore. He either went on his own or is with somebody else now. I had/have his new contact stuff here somewhere. Call me in a couple of days.

Pops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom