Proud New Land Cruiser Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings All,
My name is David and I first want to say man o man what a great resource this forum is.
I have read so many articles on the 80 series here and they along with all of the members of course, are great resources and seem like great people.

So lets dive in...
I am the proud new owner of a dark grey metallic 1991 LC with grey/blue cloth interior.

I have been looking on craigslist for the past 6 months or so and found what would end up being my lifelong companion about a week or so ago.

My LC has 333,000 miles and I drove the old guy home over 50 miles without needing a tow. Keep in mind my LC cost me 1,500 american.

Making it home in a vehicle that has THAT many miles (My old 560sel MB had 250k and I thought that was alot) under it's own power is incredible.

And my LC has not been maintained properly and still fires up no problem, amazing! I am still driving the old tank around and havent put a dime in yet other that wiper blades!

I will post pics asap but to give you guys and hopefully some gals a visual:
Paint is faded, needs to be reshot but hey alteast I dont have to worry about bird crap and shopping malls lol.
Interior is actually very clean, dash is very cracked though.
Has some offbeat 15in wheels with 33' tires that I will be putting new ofroad tires on the front as the tread is almost gone.

What I have to do this week is install the new front passenger window regulator and motor I bought as the window wont go up or down at all. Passenger side door panel switch wont work (no motor noise in door panel as well) and the drivers switch for the passenger front window wont work either, however the drivers window does work.

The window stays in place in the halfway down position until you go and close the door and it falls down almost all the way down which I am sure is bad.

I have spent hours researching the window motor and regulator replacement...door panel removal.
I have also read about the rubber that apparently slows the window's operation due to old age and dirt.
Thought about buying new one on TPD but I have Seal Feed from SwissVax (pricey but goes along way) and I plan on using that on that seal and cleaning properly.

Once the motor and regulator come in I plan on changing the spark plugs, egr valve, have the cat replaced and probably muffler, and all fluids flushed and filled.

My tank didnt pass the strict CA emissions so tags are out of date by a year but theres worse out there and I will address the emissions once i do the basic stuff Ive listed already (2 front tires, fluids, window motor, etc..)

I am honored to be a Land Cruiser 80 series owner especially cause I have one of the "black sheep" 3FEs which I find has plenty get up and go and mine has issues and 330,000 miles on it and my old car had 400hp...its all part of the experience imho

Anywho, Im glad to be here and if anyone has any suggestions on getting that window to "stay up" for the meantime and what they think the problem is with the window just "falling" (as rains are coming) Id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!
PS Ill post pics up asap :)

Welcome!

Some gorilla tape will hold it for a few days - until it gets hot. Buy some adhesive removal stuff at the same time. It's no fun fishing one of those big glass panels out when it falls down into the door.

330K miles isn't THAT much.. Theres a couple 3FE guys on here in the 600-700K mile range. If taken care of properly..

Dave-- I'm right there with you. Just got my Cruiser this week. A million things to do. So excited. I will follow with interest as you keep posting about your experiences. Thanks!

Welcome to the land of misfit toys!
You'll never have nothing to do now.

Thanks for all the warm wishes and greetings guys I appreciate it!

So on my way to work the passenger window fell all the way down into the door panel so that should be fun to deal with this weekend.

I also need to get 2 front tires for my tank this weekend (33x12.5x15) Super Swamper SSRs.

Congratulations! Should be fun. These trucks are comfortable to work on imo--:rimshot:

Thanks for all the warm wishes and greetings guys I appreciate it!

So on my way to work the passenger window fell all the way down into the door panel so that should be fun to deal with this weekend.

I also need to get 2 front tires for my tank this weekend (33x12.5x15) Super Swamper SSRs.
Someone suggested to me once to use some flexible rubber door stoppers (the wedge kind) to hold a window in place. You'd have to remove the trims to get enough room, and I've never tried it, but I think it could work. Or tape it in place like the other guys suggested.

And welcome to the group. Your truck could have driven to the moon and part way back already!!

Just an update everyone.
So I read, then re resd, then re read some more all the super helpful posts about the door panel removal as my front passenger side winodw doesn't work at all (the glass has fallen all the way down into the door and neither the drivers door panel switch or passanger window switch are working)

I have a new window switch and window motor assembly with the regulator ordered that I will be installing this weekend and it wll be my first somewhat large fix (don't laugh lol) on my new LC and I was hoping some of you guys could give me some pointers or suggestions on how to get the window motor and regulator replaced once the door panel is off.

Obviously I have to unbolt the motor assembly and take the glass off and reinstall but if someone here could kindly post a sequence of the uninstall/reinstall process I would not only love you but so would my Cruiser :D

Does this new to you Land Cruiser really exist? Because I don't see any pictures of it posted....most of us around here like seeing pictures of your new land cruiser!

Don't know if this will help, but on my 60, the rear DS window had fallen down into the door. It had come off a metal track that was attached to the window regulator. Was pretty easy to get back on with the door panel pulled off and the rubber window runs removed as well. Just remove all the door accessories (handles, speakers, armrests, etc..) and unplug motor assembly, pop the clips around the door panel edges, and lift the top of the panel up and out (as there may be a lip that hooks onto the door where the window comes out), and pull the rubber channel runs out of their little grooves and lift out (clean them really well with soap and water when you have them out). Again, this was on my 60, but I would bet the process is almost the same on your 80.

Last edited:
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Welcome to the 3FE 80's series club! I see you want to freshen up your EGR system? Good luck, the EGR valve is discontinuedas well as many other parts. As someone already mentioned, you'll never have nothing to do again!

Also search this forum for the FSM (Factory Service Manual). You will definitely need one.

Or just ask for stuff over and over and never do a search. That always makes people happy to help.......

I have my LR window zip-tied up and the complete regulator out of the truck when I was diagnosing it 4 years ago. Haven't got back to completing that part of the project.

Good Luck and welcome to the madness! :flipoff2:

Listen to and read everything by @jonheld . Read a lot of the stuff by @LS1FJ40 , but only believe part of it, because HE thinks the 3FE is the greatest ever made, and to me, it's just too slow, but so is he........:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::rofl:

I came, I scrolled, and found nothing to see :(

Like mentioned above..... Jonheld is "the man on the silver mountain" when it comes to the 3F..... when he responds, you've been graced with the most knowledgeable 3F mastermind alive. And yes, the 3F is the BEST of the Cruisers..... slow and mighty!

Like mentioned above..... Jonheld is "the man on the silver mountain" when it comes to the 3F..... when he responds, you've been graced with the most knowledgeable 3F mastermind alive. And yes, the 3F is the BEST of the Cruisers..... slow and mighty!

PS.... if you don't post pics soon.... you'll be tarred and feathered, and thrown to the heep crowd!

Hello Everyone I picked up the window motor and regulator assembly from the auto parts store.
I have removed the door panel and have taken out the old regulator and assembly (and a piece of wood...shameful to do to a LC)

Anywho...I have bolted the assembly in (4 bolts) and then there is sort of a mini arm that takes to bolts, thats in as well. The FSM says to only temporarily tighten those, so do they eventually come out? I mean the old assembly had that little mini arm/track bolted down.

Also, I cant find the holes in the door where the 2 bolts that attach the glass to the window go as the largest arm wont reach 2 matching holes (or so it seems)

On the old large arm that the window glass bolted to there was sort of a extra guide to keep the glass in place, my non oem new assembly doesnt have that, is that a problem?

Lastly, the connectors dont seem to be matching up to power the whole thing.

I am outside working right now and will be posting pics in the next 15 minutes.

I would greatly greatly appreciate any and all help i can get as I have my fingers crossed that this will be a successful install.

Hope to hear from you guys and gals soon :)

Stanby for pics

Here are the pics of what Im talking about.
1. Look at the connectors, that cant be right?

2. Its hard to tell but there are 4 main bolts that hold the regulator assembly, those I believe I have correct but then there is that "mini" swinging armature that the FSM says should be "temporarily" bolted down, lost on that...Im assuming those 2 bolts stay in.

3. I got a shot of that little guide attached to the big armature, my new unit doesnt have that, is that a problem

4. I cant locate the bolt holes in the door for the large armature the window attaches to. I know you insert the glass in, and then bolt the glass to those holes but does the actual large arm bolt down anywhere...sorry if that sounds stupid.

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2814.JPG

Ok...just cut the wires and use the old plug...you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time...if you did it right, the window will roll up and down as it should, otherwise you will notice that the switch is "reversed" ...dude, play with it, love it, enjoy it...is a Land Cruiser for God's sake, you are to do all this and more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom