Builds Project Which Pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More teardown. Took me quite a while to get the front and rear bumpers off. Got the bezel and bib off too. A few holes in the frame from the PO winch mount. Will figure those out when I put it all back together.

Tomorrows project is to clean up the garage to get the FJC back in.

20200307_135231.jpg

20200307_140313.jpg

20200307_162452.jpg

20200307_140036.jpg

20190630_171422.jpg

More teardown. Finding some parts I don't recognize but my haynes manual has come in so I will spare everyone the dumb questions until after I read it.

Found out the front of tub had been welded over which doesn't necessarily surprise me given the gaping hold in the back.

Snapping off more bolts than I'd like in the frame but I guess I will have to drill them out and retap? To be determined after sandblasting. Frame needs some repair anyway but particularly the brackets that hold the fenders in place... the back of the bolt seems to be hidden by the engine mount.

Pretty sure the welding on the front of the tub is hiding the back of one of the fender brackets which is frustrating but straightforward to figure (cut) out.

This has been quite the learning process.

20200319_183853.jpg

20200319_164059.jpg

20200319_190812.jpg

Got the gauge cluster, all switches (only broke one) out and, i think, everything off the tub from the engine bay. Next is the steering wheel assuming Autozone is open to get a puller and figuring out what to do with a half full gas tank.

I'd like to thank YouTube, random Mud threads and WD40 for getting me through this section of the teardown.

20200329_172421.jpg

20200329_172415.jpg

A pox on the Previous Owner! And what is that shiny thing sitting on top of that cruddy engine? :flipoff2:

So much filler. Any tips on getting it off besides chipping away? I saw maybe a heat gun would help, don't really want to sand it as I think it'll take forever and will throw dust everywhere. As i continue to find more rust on the tub its increasingly tempting to just go aluminum or new steel.

Still cant get the damn windshield bracket screws out so I'll be investing in some new screw extractors this weekend before I resort to drilling

I think im pretty close to being able to lift the body off the frame. My current goal is frame blasted, repaired and powdercoated by Memorial day assuming those businesses are open.

20200408_192907.jpg

20200408_192737.jpg

I used a propane torch on the bondo on my rig, with a scraper. Wear good heat protectant gloves, hot bondo is a good burner.

Back at if after some quarantine home renovations. Got the tub off and it is beyond unsalvageable. Some parts were OEM metal, bondo with oem paint, sheet metal, bondo, paint then rattle can in that order. That plus the holes all over the tub made it scrap.

I have saved the cowl and windshield frame but am not optimistic about those as the patchwork seemed to continue onto the cowl as well.

Frame is in good shape but needs a little repair after sand blasting.

Still thinking full aluminum tub unless i can find a decent steel tub in the northeast which I am guessing is near impossible. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Hoping to have the frame to the blaster in a few weeks and get back to building it up.

Some pics attached of pre power wash and post.

20200531_093529.jpg

20200531_110302.jpg

20200531_115645.jpg

20200531_115652.jpg

Wow. You are moving fast.. I have seen this rig for sale a few months ago. I also in Upstate NY, 100mi from you. Congrats and good luck with you project.
BTW.. In text "..its a Toyota" (on your windshield glass) is missing beginning of the original sentence..:)

I think i found a decent tub on the east coast about 3.5 hours from me. I know its rusty but looks repairable versus a new tub for $$$. What do y'all think? Looks to be hacked up a bit on the rockers and fenders. I have good front aprons i salvaged from my rig so that can be fixed. I keep going back and forth with a buddy who's telling me its a POS. Selling it for 1k, its a 78 and I have a 77 frame.

Thanks for any input

SmartSelect_20200708-103801_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20200708-103732_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20200708-103716_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20200708-103709_Facebook.jpg

That tub looks like it needs some work. It looks like the rockers are cut off and has rust. If you plan on putting it back to stock, and repairing rust, you can make your own panels or purchase replacement body panels and weld them in, but do the math and see if by the time you fix that tub, maybe you could have saved that money, added it to the purchase of a nicer one. You are tackling a major project, that's cool. Also, I would probably replace the front crossmember, looks pretty chopped on, pretty sure you can get replacements. Can't wait to see the rest of the project, cheers -Matt

That tub looks like it needs some work. It looks like the rockers are cut off and has rust. If you plan on putting it back to stock, and repairing rust, you can make your own panels or purchase replacement body panels and weld them in, but do the math and see if by the time you fix that tub, maybe you could have saved that money, added it to the purchase of a nicer one. You are tackling a major project, that's cool. Also, I would probably replace the front crossmember, looks pretty chopped on, pretty sure you can get replacements. Can't wait to see the rest of the project, cheers -Matt

Thanks, Matt. Noted on the crossmember. I am not going back to stock. I am trying to get it back on the road (which it hasnt been since the 90s) the quickest i can without half assing it. The cut out rear and rockers doesnt bother me (now) but i still have some time until im ready to drop a tub on

That tub is definitely better than the old one and I can tell a little hard work doesn't scare you, I love it when a Cruiser is spared from obscurity, so all the power to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom