Builds Project Which Pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this rig today! Been an fj cruiser guy since I started driving (2012) and have been eyeing 40s for a few years. Wanted a running driving project and got one.

The project name comes from us backing the rig off the trailer. I told my girlfriend to hit the brakes and she yelled "which one theres 3 pedals here!"

Anyway im gonna document the project here. I want to get it road worthy (it was a trail rig) but not perfect.

Looking forward to learning from yall.

First thing to do was pull seats to clean the interior. Got the seats out then the bracket bolts started fighting with me so I called it a night. Figured bringing the grinder out the first night was too much.

20200301_172216.jpg

20200301_172225.jpg

20200301_193050.jpg

Welcome to the newest love obsession of your life. The wooden roll cage is well... let’s say different. Get used to grinders, cutting disks, propane torches, and BFHs. It’s the FJ40 way. Getting close to wrapping up my frame off resto on my ‘77 and I’ve used all 4 methods at one time or another! Had to cut and melt the body mounts off to remove the tub.

Anyways glad to see you’re willing to get your hands dirty on these old rigs. They are special and deserve every dollar we spend on them.

Welcome to the newest love obsession of your life. The wooden roll cage is well... let’s say different. Get used to grinders, cutting disks, propane torches, and BFHs. It’s the FJ40 way. Getting close to wrapping up my frame off resto on my ‘77 and I’ve used all 4 methods at one time or another! Had to cut and melt the body mounts off to remove the tub.

Anyways glad to see you’re willing to get your hands dirty on these old rigs. They are special and deserve every dollar we spend on them.

I looked through your build thread in preparation for this one. I am sure i will be studying it a bit harder as i progress. I had the BFH and breaker bar out already yesterday.

Mine is a '77 also under all the spray paint and wood that is in there.

An oxygen/acetylene torch would come in handy for your new project. Heat those rusted bolts until they're cherry red, that'll break the rust bond. Big, "time consumer" is snapping bolts then having to remove the broken chunk.

Yes that is on my short list of things to buy. I have a little torch that i have used on my '10 FJC but it will be time to bring out the big guns for this rig.

List what your plans are for this project. That way, those who specialize in one list item or two will keep an eye out. You said it "was" a trail rig. Will it be a daily driver only? A mild two track excursion driver? Do you want to keep the rock crawling nature in it? Those types of things. You don't want to fix things twice, it's expensive enough as it is...

Best of luck. You started the job right. Admitting the need for help. It's all here on Mud.

And: Edit your thread and change it to "Builds."

List what your plans are for this project. That way, those who specialize in one list item or two will keep an eye out. You said it "was" a trail rig. Will it be a daily driver only? A mild two track excursion driver? Do you want to keep the rock crawling nature in it? Those types of things. You don't want to fix things twice, it's expensive enough as it is...

Best of luck. You started the job right. Admitting the need for help. It's all here on Mud.

And: Edit your thread and change it to "Builds."

Thanks, Rainman. I will get my plans up in the top post. It was a trail rig, yes. I think a mild excursion rig is a good way to put it for what my "plans" are now. My daily commute is 1.5 miles so DD can be in the plans for whatever i choose to do with it.

Another night of teardown. Got the wood and metal roll cage off. Theres no weld nuts on the underside of the tub (idk if theres supposed to be) so everything required a wrench on one side and impact gun on the other.

2 questions for you mud folks:
1. The gas tank location which appears to be under the passenger seat - is that right for a 77? The pics ive seen have it in the back
2. Are those visors OEM for a '77? Theyve seen better days and i probably will toss them if theyre not oem.

Next project is to get the winch/bumpers/lights off then move to the dash. Was toying with if I need a new tub or not... i think I do.

20200303_192707.jpg

20200303_185540.jpg

20200303_184658.jpg

20200303_184407.jpg

20200303_184412.jpg

Gas tanks in the rear are after market. Every time. Your tank is in the correct spot.

Visors are original. New, they don't look much better...

The roll bar was out of a jeep. Melt it.

Captured nuts on the under side are original. Should be located in different places than where you pulled out the existing one.

Last edited:
Gas tanks in the rear are after market. Every time. You tanks is in the correct spot.

Visors are original. New, they don't look much better...

The roll bar was out of a jeep. Melt it.

Captured nuts on the under side are original. Should be located in different places than where you pulled out the existing one.

Interesting. Okay. I am still waiting on my Haynes repair manual which should prevent newb questions like that.

Noted. Will keep the visors.

Lack of captured nuts makes sense if the roll cage was from a Jeep... Guess that means I have way more holes in the tub than I should too.

Thanks, Rainman.

FYI, you can find digital copies of Toyota manuals here

Good luck! Looks like you found yourself a project!

FYI, you can find digital copies of Toyota manuals here

Good luck! Looks like you found yourself a project!

Woah... The more you know. Thanks Kris. The Haynes one obviously isn't OEM but it said "based on complete tear down and rebuild" and I thought "Hey, that's what I'll be doing."

Really like the name!
Maybe for the younger girl friend helpers, someone should design some pedal covers with raised letters stating their function: BRAKE CLUTCH GAS :grinpimp: Of course then you would have to explain what a clutch is...

Take some of the info in the Hayes manual with a few grains of salt... The FSM is a far superior manual.

When it comes time for the electrical work, check out my website (in my sig) for wire, terminals and connectors.

Really like the name!
Maybe for the younger girl friend helpers, someone should design some pedal covers with raised letters stating their function: BRAKE CLUTCH GAS :grinpimp: Of course then you would have to explain what a clutch is...

Take some of the info in the Hayes manual with a few grains of salt... The FSM is a far superior manual.

When it comes time for the electrical work, check out my website (in my sig) for wire, terminals and connectors.

Her face when she looked at the 3 pedals screamed "im gonna be ok being passenger in this vehicle"

Noted on the manual. Ill read both, and of course all the Mud info will be helpful.

We are way away from wiring but I will check out the website and bookmark it in my "FJ40" folder on google chrome. Thanks, Coolerman.

Great stuff, man! This is an amazing group of folks. Keep up the awesome work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom