Builds Project Which Pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya know, I wasn't going to say anything because the PO always gets reamed, but for the life of me, I don't understand why someone would fill the top rail of the tub with bondo..... What the heck?

Ya know, I wasn't going to say anything because the PO always gets reamed, but for the life of me, I don't understand why someone would fill the top rail of the tub with bondo..... What the heck?

I completely agree. The top rail was the least of it though. That could have been cleaned up honesty. It was the bondo over sheet metal over bondo over OEM tub in the rockers that was beyond repair.

I so badly wanted to salvage the OEM tub but there was nothing to salvage besides the cowl and even that seems to be a stretch.

Engine/tranny/tcase are out. Had a buddy who with a hoist that swung by and got right to it. Whole thing took about 45 mins (plus all the time spent spraying the bolts with wd40 every time i walked in the garage).

Its sitting a bit more precariously than i would like but it is certainly secure.

Any recomendations for engine cradles for the 2f with tranny still attached?

Next up is all the steering components. Hopefully will get to it this Sunday.

20200716_135440.jpg

20200716_134202.jpg

20200716_135441.jpg

Steering components out. Came off easy with the help of my $20 Amazon pickle fork set.

Wheels off and surprise! I have disc brakes in the front. Never thought to check. U bolts nuts are siezed but hit them with wd40 and will fight with them tomorow.

Side note - got a new ryobi wired sawzall and it has balls. With the help of Diablo metal cutting blades, it chopped off the bent engine mount bolts like butter. Way better than the battery powered one i had, and cheap too.

Should I be concerned about having bent engine mount bolts?

20200723_184519.jpg

20200723_193635.jpg

20200723_194332.jpg

20200723_202835.jpg

Frame went off to the welder today. He was a recommendation from a few people up here so I feel pretty good about it. Also was able to sell the old swampers and MT's to a kid who will get way better use out of them than I will. With the frame out of the garage I'll have some extra space to clean up the axles and other parts before it gets back.

Will also be ordering suspension soon, and was thing OME. It seems to be popular for the FJ40's and I ran their suspension on my FJ Cruiser for years. (I know the setup is very different of course) Open to recommendations, however.

Hoping to have a rolling chassis with the engine in by the first snow fall so i have the space to garage the FJ Cruiser during winter.

Frame has been welded, blasted and powdercoated. I got a bit ahead of myself with the PC timing and i still have some broken bolts to drill out. Going to have to be careful to not mess up the powdercoating but that's what I get, I guess. **the frame is now on jack stands, just needed to make some space on the other side of the garage.

Took the engine mount brackets off and wire brushed, wheeled, degreased, wire brushed some more. Hit the flat areas with a grinder then painted with high temp primer and paint.

Will be cleaning up the axles and looking for wheels and tires this week. Not sure if i want to splurge on new tires or try and find some used ones for the rig to sit on for the rest of the build up.

I ordered suspension and new engine mounts from cruiser corps. OME medium duty setup with all new bushings, shackles, the whole 9.

I missed my "first snowfall roller" timing. Now i am hoping before Christmas.

20201120_173914.jpg

20201204_184331.jpg

edit - after some more research there look to be some decent after market options. Went with the Warrior 1760/1765 U Bolt Skids. The 1765 has the rear shock mount needed the 1977 axles.

TLDR I made a rookie mistake and need to find a full set of 4 spring seats/plates for my 1977 axles.

Story time

I ordered my suspension on Black Friday from Cruiser Corps. I was a bit disappointed it took 7 weeks to get here but the pandemic is forcing us all to be a little more patient. Anyway its here, the frame is all ready so I bundled up and ventured out to the garage in 25 degree upstate NY weather.

I was sorting through the suspension parts which are all there when i realized something was missing. I was missing the spring seats that keep the suspension connected to the axle via the u bolts.

Rookie move on my part, the PO had them welded to the stock suspension which I didnt remove when I scrapped them.

Now I need to find new spring seats for this which I believe need the shock hanger on the rear.

They seem to be crazy expensive/hard to find for the FJs. Does anyone know if i can use universal/CJ/maybe the ones from a 1984 pickup for the rear then a different model for the front which seems to be a simpler design?

I have considered the u bolt flip which will be expensive and I think unnecesarry as i don't really plan on wheeling but if its my only option I will commit. Looks like it'll run me 275 for the rear and 250 ish for the front?

Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_20210117_072810_207.jpg

20210113_132049.jpg

SmartSelect_20210117-073038_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Had to wait a painfully long time for spring plates after waiting a painfully long time for suspension and finally had the time to get the plates mounted this weekend.

The front shocks seem to be sitting kinda cockeyed putting stress on the bushings. I followed the directions (i think) but it looks like the axle is sitting really far forward. The shock mount is hitting the plastic of the shock. Maybe thats what its there for?

When i put the wheels on and engine in, will the weight force the frame down thus axle back or did i do it wrong?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did some looking but all the videos/threads that i found had body or engine already on so it doesnt directly correlate.

Thanks in advance.

20210320_115543.jpg

20210320_115537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom