Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quite a bit of fine tuning left to do, but she is up and running. The engine had the classic runs-only-with-choke syndrome, which turned out to be a combination of no power to the idle solenoid, a blocked idle circuit, necessary idle speed adjustments and mixture adjustment.

It is clearly a very solid engine. Purrs.

Pulled the spider web-infested rear brake drums and took them to get turned at O'Reilly. Also picked up new brake shoes, but no one had the cylinders in stock. I'll have to get my hands on some this week.

Also confirmed electrical to the rear brake lights after replacing a glass fuse.

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1025.PNG

Wheel cylinders came in today at Napa, but traffic was so bad due to weather that I skipped out and drove straight home after work. In the spirit of keeping things moving forward, I removed the crusty old hard top. Folded down the windshield as I held my breath, and was pleasantly surprised to see very clean and rust-free steel underneath the gasket.

IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG

Ordered a new brake booster from @Racer65. Pulled all of the old rubber brake lines and picked up everything that I need for the rear brakes today as well (new wheel cylinders, shoes, etc.). I need to decide whether to order extended lines to accommodate the upcoming HFS 4" lift.

Here is the front end. Guess I will replace the calipers, pads, and rotors up here too? This looks functional, but nasty.

Lord, the blank checkbook that an old FJ40 requires.
IMG_1057.JPG

Ordered a new brake booster from @Racer65. Pulled all of the old rubber brake lines and picked up everything that I need for the rear brakes today as well (new wheel cylinders, shoes, etc.). I need to decide whether to order extended lines to accommodate the upcoming HFS 4" lift.

Here is the front end. Guess I will replace the calipers, pads, and rotors up here too? This looks functional, but nasty.

Lord, the blank checkbook that an old FJ40 requires.
View attachment 1379291
Depending on what your goal is, the front brake parts look salvageable.

Rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes are installed. The Napa wheel cylinders seem very well made.

IMG_1074.JPG

Extended 22" rear brake hose is installed from CCOT. I ordered the fronts from Cruiser Corps and hope to have them by early next week.

IMG_1075.JPG

Optima Yellow Top battery en route from Amazon.

Looking good!
Looking over your posts get me excited and motivated to get back on mine.

The racer brake parts look like a great thing for all of us trying to keep our 40s running correctly he has a nice online store and kurt at cruiser outfitters was great to get parts from.
I have that same husky tool chest, Ive been pretty happy with it, i cut some liners for each drawer to try and keep my tools organized which works sometimes the top is so nice I haven't wanted to use it I would like to build a workbench just taller than the chest to wheel it under and mount things on the workbench above like vice and bench grinder.

I may be asking you for brake part numbers soon if I can get in gear on my already long checklist, I keep telling myself no more parts can be ordered until I install the ones I have already but that doesn't go well with my schedule. I think my drivetrain is in simlar condition to yours where the front disk function but could be better so some replacements may be best.

You have a good looking land cruiser project going and the updates you are doing are awesome keep the updates coming.

Looking good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom