Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are going to be driving that around Dallas much, can I buy Ad Space on that billboard you have in the front?
Ha!

Actually, Perry is attacking it as we speak. Billboard rents aren't what they used to be.

IMG_5858.JPG

So a HUGE thank you to @40's rock for his work with the plasma cutter today. He cut the bulk of the bumper off, and I'll get the rest with my grinder at the house.

Unaware of their own impending demise, you could hear the front leaf springs breathe a momentary sigh of relief when it fell away.

IMG_1156.PNG

So cool. Glad you went with those tires and wheels.

Why not use your soft doors?
Thanks. I'm impressed with how quiet these KM2s are.

Soft doors were my intention, but I haven't come up with a solid solution to deal with the early pillar vs. late pillar issue and the gap that is left if they are mixed. I was bs'ing with @kcsmithson on this topic recently and decided to look for a hard set that is period-correct. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Spent some time on this yesterday. Grinding sucks. This part is gonna take way more time than I thought.

Anyone know of a magic way to speed up this process? I'm cutting the P.O.'s welds off of the frame and gussets. Right now, I'm using a 7" Dewalt high-speed grinder plus my Sawzall and it's very slow going.

IMG_5915.JPG

Well, if you got a big chunk left (not just old weld) I like to zip that stuff off as close as a can with a cutoff wheel. It'll make the grinding go much faster. Other options would be torch or plasma cutter of course but cutoff wheels are usually more readily available. Lowes or Home Depot has 10 packs of Dewalt brand wheels, they work pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom