Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carson
that's awesome
i love that right andirection funny thing is I saw that video on YouTube the other day when your buddy drove it off the trailer and laughed

I'm following for sure
I loved that old green one and it ran awesome
we all move on

New radiator hoses and fuel pump came in the mail today.

IMG_0944.JPG

Subbed. What part of TX? I have a 77 but it's not quite as clean as yours.

New fuel pump and all 5/16" rubber fuel lines completed on Pikachu last night. I'm going to order a carburetor rebuild kit and fuel filter tomorrow. That should nearly complete the fuel system.

Decided to work on a little outdoor bar project today, as a side note.

IMG_0949.JPG

Yanked the fuel brain. Will begin disassembly and rebuild this weekend.

My brother and I had a 1946 Willys CJ2A back in high school that had the same varnish smell. This ole thing has been sitting for a while.

Intake manifold has no cracks and looks good. Note the air rail "modifications".

IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG

Superb.

What parts did it need?
All of the usual internals, plus various parts that were terribly crudded up. Cleaned out both venturis, both slow jets, primary/secondary jets, and total replacement of the power valve. The accelerator pump had about 1/2" of dirt in the barrel. The usual chemical dipping and compressed air cleaning didn't get it. Guess that gas tank had been bad for many years.

When I pulled the diaphragm, a nest of dead spiders fell out.

Oddly enough, the idle solenoid was clean as a bean.

Nice 40 Carson , great score !

Heater and heater core are disassembled and getting a quick and dirty makeover.

Heater control valve is dipped, cleaned, and reinstalled with new connector hose.

All heater hoses are removed and all but one 5/16" section has been replaced.

Decided to remove the alternator and bracket for easier access.

It looks like the water pump and radiator are new-ish, but I probably should replace the thermostat just due to the nastiness inside the old lines.

IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom