Project Blanca 1974 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so the purpose of this thread is to show off what all I’m doing with this FJ40 and to keep track of everything.
So over thanksgiving I bought my FIRST LAND CRUISER, a 1974 Fj40 from my dad who traded a Scrambler Jeep for it.
It has the 6 cylinder 1.5 F motor I was told and the engine build date is within a month of the frame build date (need to verify myself). It runs and drives nicely ( I think, first one Ive ever driven), it has disk brakes all the way around and a rushed restoration job (I will explain in a later post about that with pictures), but I've found very little rust on it. It is a Texas FJ and I live in the Davis Mountains where the rainfall is 10" a year so rust isn't a problem.

It does have the webber carburetor conversion but it doesn't seem to be quite right. When starting the electronic choke makes it idle high and won't back down even after it warms up unless you feather the throttle. After it idles down and you give it gas it'll rev back up to high idle. So, I need to figure that out.

Also I guess from the disk brake conversion the new master cylinder runs on a vacuum as does the carburetor so when you push the brakes hard the engine lugs down and has even died from a hard stop ( only made it happen once and I was standing on the brakes.

The hard top is rhino lined a gloss black and the flat fender flares under the doors are also. The interior has a rhino lining on it and it looks like the previous owner cut that carpeted floor mat you can buy on the rolls at Lowes or Sams Club and formed it to the floor. It doesn't look bad I guess and the bed mat isn't screwed down like the ones under the seat are.

I can hit 60mph according to the speedo but I’m running 31 X 10.5 X 15 tires and there is a small lift but I’m not sure what kind. The shocks are a silver color with a black boot if that is a specific brand, I’m not sure and I haven't studied them yet. However, this sucker is LOUD. I’m going to see what I can do about changing that.
IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1807 2.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG

Welcome. Congrats on the new 40.

The PCV hose in the front of the engine is supposed to attach to the manifold, and the barb under the air cleaner is supposed to go to the valve cover, where there is currently a filter. Braking shouldn't stall an engine, you might have some issues with the booster? Is the Weber running from the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the motor, or an external electric pump? The choke can be adjusted by turning the housing where the electric wire is attached.

Welcome and that is a clean looking cruiser. You are in the right place to own this 40.

That flat "fender flare under the doors" you talk about are called running boards. Not besting you over the head, just want you to know since you're new to this game. That does look like a nice FJ40. Congrats. Most first timers start with much less. The 1.5F is a good motor. The Weber carb is good too. Get it figured out and you'll have a strong running engine.

Awesome thanks for all the response!

So Yesterday I took it out for a quick spin on the ranch Since I’m gonna be gone for a few days Pheasant hunting. I found A few “interesting” things about it.
CDDDF53B-7A3E-4D4F-BE1F-50E70341A1FC.jpeg
879FA1E9-4352-4CDB-B0BB-593A340A4389.jpeg
D47A52D6-62F6-486E-92EF-8434CF1E1A3E.jpeg

The floor is bed coated but like I said it doesn’t appear to be hiding rust when I crawl underneath it, and then the PO made mats from what appear to be industrial carpet mats.
727AF139-FE67-42C3-A5BE-1DA813D1E45E.jpeg

And then it gets real interesting with this
30C66F27-5995-4C4B-AFBD-3D71523A19BD.jpeg

I assume this is the resistor for the coil and it’s missing the cover. I’ve seen I can get a coil with an internal resister for the 2F but I’m not sure if it’ll work. This is also my first large carbureted vehicle, I’ve had four wheelers and dirt bikes but a lot of this is new for me.

Also @Dizzy i was going to check on what you said in your post when I get back but Im sure I’m going to need some more guidance

@Dizzy So when I got back I checked the fuel pump, it’s running of an electrical 12v 2amp in line fuel pump. Is that a bad thing? I haven’t gotten to mess with much, been busy with work and such.

It could be on the right track, but the Kyosan pump that comes with the Land Cruiser might be better, but it might deliver too much pressure for that carb.

I had read where the Weber carbs needed around 3 psi and people have had issues with high idle because an in-line was 5-8psi. So I thought I might try to track down a cheap in line or go to factory mechanical pump.

Well its been cold and wet so I pulled Blanca into the barn to try to get the carburetor tuned right. As it turns out it has a weber 32/36 not the weber 38 AND it was full of sand and junk. After figuring all that out I decided to just buy a new carburetor all together. I ordered the Weber 38 kit from manafre FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 Carburetor Conversion Kits for F / 2F Engines with Stock Air Cleaner Weber 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 - Landcruiser Parts. I really like how the riser is all billet instead of the bolt together pieces I have now.

Sweet rig (But then...I’m partial to white ’74 40’s). Looks like a twin.
congrats. Enjoy the ride.

25E5E4D0-31A3-4DE2-B6E4-C8648B2D7A50.jpeg

3B5AF733-CF7D-4695-A455-3631D1E9621C.jpeg

It’s finally starting to look clean! I got the new Weber 38 carb installed and I have a few gripes about the kit from ManAFre. Their website wasn’t great at explaining the differences between the 3 kits they had so I had to call, and the carb kit that was set up for factory rod throttle linkage Came with studs and the adapter for the factory air cleaner which I don’t have so I found some bolts and made it work. Also they mount that they show in the pictures for the linkage is from a later year I think because it’s designed different and I had to bend and slot mine, not a big deal just had to make it work. HOWEVER, the billet spacer is pretty cool I think! It sits taller than the previous two spacers combined. While everything was a apart I took the liberty of hitting the intake with some brake clean and a wire brush. After all that Now it runs and idles and doesn’t die! Makes the drivability go WAYYYY UP.

Next up is the QuickHindges I saw A member here on mud makes. They are ordered and getting a powder coat right now.

Alright so I did a thread on my Quik Hinge install so maybe other people like me can search and find more threads on what was a relatively easy project. Here is the link if you want to check it out Quik Hinge Install
And here’s some photos of the completed project and the IMMEDIATE wheeling on the ranch afterwards
ECD98528-8A11-449A-9534-78BEF36292C3.jpeg
712CD6E0-8566-4988-BFBC-C5D18421D274.jpeg

9557C74B-D569-4E78-93BB-642B0FA25086.jpeg

Well haven’t been on here in a while. Been busy on the ranch and doing other things. I bought a soft top Doors and back doors from @bmoonhajjar. I drove to San Diego go get it and got it put on yesterday.
I also found out that I burn coolant, I’m not sure how much but we did get it pretty warm the other day

05E7FC49-D7E6-4CE6-B570-00CDC61ABEB0.jpeg

Well haven’t been on here in a while. Been busy on the ranch and doing other things. I bought a soft top Doors and back doors from @bmoonhajjar. I drove to San Diego go get it and got it put on yesterday.
I also found out that I burn coolant, I’m not sure how much but we did get it pretty warm the other day

View attachment 2334512
That was fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom