Procedure for replacing 100 series(98 and up) starter contacts (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2000 100 series 7/00 manufacture date with a 28100-50100 starter and had read that the part numbers are different after 3/00
can someone provide the part numbers for contacts on my starter? it would be greatly appreciated

Terminals for 2000/03-2002/08 are:
Plunger is the same until from 1998-2002: 2823554380

Just did mine over the weekend.

That Driver side starter bolt is a pain, but I just used a deep socket 14mm, 3 inch extension and my ratchet.
Feel for the bolt with one hand, push wires aside and place the deep socket on the bolt real good. then attach the extension, then attach the ratchet. I left them all in place after I removed the old starter and just lined up the new starter with the driver side bolt. I didnt have to fish around again to mount the new starter.
366yGvY.jpg

wOoWjj1.jpg

and this is invaluable to remove the manifold bolts/nuts. just loosen them with the 12mm and use this after to take them out. use this also for resintall.
7qmHOJI.png

Looking back, it is more intimidating than it is.

for taller/bigger dudes, I think taking the hood off would help with the install.

Last edited:
Just did mine over the weekend.

That Driver side starter bolt is a pain, but I just used a deep socket 14mm, 3 inch extension and my ratchet.
Feel for the bolt with one hand, push wires aside and place the deep socket on the bolt real good. then attach the extension, then attach the ratchet. I left them all in place after I removed the old starter and just lined up the new starter with the driver side bolt. I didnt have to fish around again to mount the new starter.
366yGvY.jpg

wOoWjj1.jpg

and this is invaluable to remove the manifold bolts/nuts. just loosen them with the 12mm and use this after to take them out. use this also for resintall.
7qmHOJI.png

Looking back, it is more intimidating than it is.

for taller/bigger dudes, I think taking the hood off would help with the install.
Did you replace the gaskets?

Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum - such a wealth of information!

I'm replacing the starter contacts in my 2000 LX470 and am wondering who you would recommend purchasing them from - based on this post it looks like CDan may have retired?

Here's the parts I believe that I'll need:
28226-50080 Motor Terminal
28226-50070 Battery Terminal
28235-54380 Plunger with new contact ring

Anything else that I may be missing - I replaced the starter with an OEM reman about 40k miles ago (currently at 145k miles).

Thanks in advance!

Awesome post. Just changed out my starter and I had no major issues. My biggest headache was the fuel rails - the passenger side was a breeze but the drivers side tested my patience. I would recommend changing out the rubber fuel injector seals while you have everything out as half of mine was worn out and the rubber was starting to deteriorate. I did over tighten my intake manifold bolts and snapped the bolt off but those studs unscrew easily and can be replaced with a 1.25 stud from autozone without breaking out the welder.

Mine started showing symptoms about 4 months ago. I replaced the battery for a more powerful one and all was good until last week. Today has been the worst day. It takes about 30 tries to get it started. I just ordered a new starter from McGeorge Toyota for $167 w/ a $60 core charge. But I'm still not sure if I want to tackle this job myself.

Mine started showing symptoms about 4 months ago. I replaced the battery for a more powerful one and all was good until last week. Today has been the worst day. It takes about 30 tries to get it started. I just ordered a new starter from McGeorge Toyota for $167 w/ a $60 core charge. But I'm still not sure if I want to tackle this job myself.
It will be well worth it. I had a local shop do mine the week before the world shut down. Cost me $1200 (starter can be found on RockAuto and others for around $140 no core) and a day an a half (they got wrong gasket) but that was with me keeping old. I would have rather saved the money and done myself had I only held out a little longer.

Thats a lot of coin. We’ll see what happens in the next coming days with my adventure of daiky trading. If I get lucky I will pay someone else to do it.

It's a PITA job, but due-able. The big thing is to clean the top of engine paying special attention to area between heads and intake manifold. All to often, grim (sand) from not cleaning well, falls into intake ports of head. So whether DIY or having done by a shop: CLEAN IT UP!

It's a PITA job, but due-able. The big thing is to clean the top of engine paying special attention to area between heads and intake manifold. All to often, grim (sand) from not cleaning well, falls into intake ports of head. So whether DIY or having done by a shop: CLEAN IT UP!
^^THIS^^

The most unfortunate thing about this job is not that it's that hard, it's just the uncertainty about how to accomplish it the first time. Truly, once you do it, you could do it the second time in less than half the amount of time. It also is a big help if you can get someone to help you lift off the intake.......................

Is it my truck or does this happen more often during cool weather? Truck was really bad a couple of days ago when in was high 50 / low 60s bur has been flawless in the past 48 hours with over 75 degrees weather.

Is it my truck or does this happen more often during cool weather? Truck was really bad a couple of days ago when in was high 50 / low 60s bur has been flawless in the past 48 hours with over 75 degrees weather.
I feel like mine was worse when the temps dropped below 40* at night. PO that I purchased from said that he almost never had the issue (only happened to him once or twice but dont know how much I believe that). He did live in a warmer climate than me so it could definitely have been.

When the nights weren't quite that cold the truck had no issue starting in the morning, though the nights it got below that line, or close to it, I would have issues the next morning.

My dealer just did mine. They did it in 2 hours and charged me $470. I was a bit worried after reading on here it was a 6-7 hour job.

Is that too quick? Should I be worried? I have the old starter and the engine turns a lot quicker. So I know it was done.

My dealer just did mine. They did it in 2 hours and charged me $470. I was a bit worried after reading on here it was a 6-7 hour job.

Is that too quick? Should I be worried? I have the old starter and the engine turns a lot quicker. So I know it was done.
If they are familiar with the job, not necessarily. Usually the 6-7hr job is just an estimate for most of us to take care of it or for shops that don't do it on a regular basis. If you received the old one back, then there is a chance they could get it done quickly with multiple tech's working on it.

If they are familiar with the job, not necessarily. Usually the 6-7hr job is just an estimate for most of us to take care of it or for shops that don't do it on a regular basis. If you received the old one back, then there is a chance they could get it done quickly with multiple tech's working on it.
Yeah, like @gregnash said, it's all about familiarity. This is not a tough job, but had you done it, it may have taken you 6 hours. If you then did another one for a friend, it may have taken you 2-3. My first one took me ALL DAY, yet a friend of mine and I changed one not long after at an off road event in less than 2. It's only because we knew what had to be done and the quickest way to do it.

Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum - such a wealth of information!

I'm replacing the starter contacts in my 2000 LX470 and am wondering who you would recommend purchasing them from - based on this post it looks like CDan may have retired?

Here's the parts I believe that I'll need:

Anything else that I may be missing - I replaced the starter with an OEM reman about 40k miles ago (currently at 145k miles).

Thanks in advance!

So I have been looking through this thread - I wanted to get the parts list. I can't believe no one had the parts list with numbers. Anyways I found to threads that shows parts list. its post number #116 (Linky) and this post above. post #325 (linky). The both have different part numbers. I am not sure why they are different. But I bet its Toyota vs Lexus part numbers.

From Post #112
Long contact (battery cable side) Part # 28226-54412
Short contact (starter motor side) Part # 28226-72010
Plunger unit Part # 28235-54380

From Post #325

Hope this helps if someone is looking for the "Starter Contact" for replacement.

post #116 = Procedure for replacing 100 series(98 and up) starter contacts
post #325 = Procedure for replacing 100 series(98 and up) starter contacts

PN #'s, vary by year and model. Also whether looking at Toyota Denso or Denso starters. Best is to use your VIN # when looking up and/or ordering parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom