Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_2997.JPG

So, I got sideswiped by a drunk driver on my way home on eastbound Rt. 50 at the exit for the Annapolis Mall. A Chevy Silverado blew by me in the exit lane and then just smashed into my passenger side. He lost control, spun right in front of me as I laid on the brakes, and he came to a stop pointing the wrong way. He then took off down the exit ramp and disappeared.

I called the police, and two other motorists who witnessed it stopped to give statements. Then a woman pulled up who had seen the incident, followed the truck off the exit, and took a photo if its license plate. Fifteen minutes later, the State Trooper asked me to follow him to a Shell right around the corner where they had caught the guy.

IMG_2998.JPG

He did not pass the sobriety test.

Anyhoo, my dilemma now is that I am sure that my insurance company is going to total to my car as it is not worth much. But I love this car, and I have a put a lot of work into it including turbocharging the motor. It seems to me the only way to keep my handiwork is to buy it back.

Any advice on how to handle the insurance company here?

Last edited:
So i've never been in that situation before, but it looks like just the passenger fender needs repair/replacement. I figure people part/scrap these cars a lot so could you just find the part and swap it out without getting insurance involved? Or is there subframe damage? Sorry if this doesn't help, just trying to put some perspective.

Let the insurance adjuster look at the car and see what he/she says. Tell them you want to keep the car and see what the "buy back' is if they total the car out. It may be around 10% of value of the car. You may get a branded title at that point. There may be ways around that depending on if they say it is totaled.

Do not hand over the title to anyone and make sure you are comfortable with the settlement before you sign anything.

View attachment 2082124

So, I got sideswiped by a drunk driver on my way home on eastbound Rt. 50 at the exit for the Annapolis Mall. A Chevy Silverado blew by me in the exit lane and then just smashed into my passenger side. He lost control, spun right in front of me as a laid on the brakes, and he came to a stop pointing the wrong way. He then took off down the exit ramp and disappeared.

I called the police, and two other motorists who witnessed it stopped to give statements. Then a woman pulled up who had seen the incident, followed the truck off the exit, and took a photo if its license plate. Fifteen minutes later, the State Trooper asked me to follow him to a Shell right around the corner where they had caught the guy.

View attachment 2082125

Anyhoo, my dilemma now is that I am sure that my insurance company is going to total to my car as it is not worth much. But I love this car, and I have a put a lot of work into it including turbocharging the motor. It seems to me the only way to keep my handiwork is to buy it back.

Glad you’re ok Bart! That coulda been really bad.

Let the insurance adjuster look at the car and see what he/she says. Tell them you want to keep the car and see what the "buy back' is if they total the car out. It may be around 10% of value of the car. You may get a branded title at that point. There may be ways around that depending on if they say it is totaled.

Do not hand over the title to anyone and make sure you are comfortable with the settlement before you sign anything.

Thanks Rob. He comes on Monday morning--we'll see what he says. It's a shame I can't make one of those 62 doors I got off you fit...

Glad you’re ok Bart! That coulda been really bad.

Glad you are ok Bart. My cousin and her husband were killed by a drunk driver. Made 6 young kids instant orphans. Hope you can sue him for all he is worth.

Yeah, one of the risks of a small car. If he had come over on me with his center of mass more towards the rear I would have been much worse. I was definitely fortunate.

My sliders are supposed to be delivered today... so I took time out of my busy vacation to check the tracking information.
It says that they left California and made it all the way to New Mexico before going back to California... I guess I'll contact White Knuckle and see what's up.

Screenshot_20190913-145419_Chrome.jpg

Glad you are ok Bart that could have been a lot worse!
@Von Hayek
Just sayin!
3677BD03-1880-4D5D-982A-A74C8C35CB6E.jpeg

View attachment 2082124

So, I got sideswiped by a drunk driver on my way home on eastbound Rt. 50 at the exit for the Annapolis Mall. A Chevy Silverado blew by me in the exit lane and then just smashed into my passenger side. He lost control, spun right in front of me as I laid on the brakes, and he came to a stop pointing the wrong way. He then took off down the exit ramp and disappeared.

View attachment 2082125

I still miss my old turboed NA Miata. One of the most fun and reliable cars I ever owned. It got sideswiped pretty bad as well but not totaled out.

Depending on your adjuster, some of them can be more lenient in the totaling out/value department. A few years ago a similar type of damage was done to one of my parents cars while I was borrowing it. I let him know my parents had recently done a lot of maintenance on it and my parents scanned over some receipts. He cut them a check for about $1500. It was an older scion with about 260k on it. I pulled the fender out with my hands! They kept the money and my dad continued to commute in a clean titled car.

Showing the cruiser and Mother Nature some love. Changing the oil pan gasket after 3 years of leaking.
06D4CC30-DA7E-4390-B59B-2EB7D18A8A84.jpeg

I forgot to take the back flywheel plate off so it bent the back of the pan.

I still miss my old turboed NA Miata. One of the most fun and reliable cars I ever owned. It got sideswiped pretty bad as well but not totaled out.

Depending on your adjuster, some of them can be more lenient in the totaling out/value department. A few years ago a similar type of damage was done to one of my parents cars while I was borrowing it. I let him know my parents had recently done a lot of maintenance on it and my parents scanned over some receipts. He cut them a check for about $1500. It was an older scion with about 260k on it. I pulled the fender out with my hands! They kept the money and my dad continued to commute in a clean titled car.

That is kind of my plan. @Cruiserdrew knows the adjuster and says he is fair and knows what he is doing so I have high hopes.

1) Glad you are Ok Bart. Stick it to the other guys insurance company.

2) all car dealers suck. I had to take a Chebby truck to Country Chevrolet in Warrenton VA in for a service issue on the diesel DEF system. The truck sat for 5 weeks while there was a national back order on the part. I got the truck back the Tuesday after memorial day finally after complaining to GM corporate.
3 days after I get the truck back I start getting letters from the VDOT hot lanes about all the fines the truck racked up over the Memorial day weekend, than about a week after that get letters from DC about the red light camera tickets it got in DC......
I go to the dealership and was shown the video where it "disappeared" during a power outage in the lot Friday then "reappeared" early tues AM after Memorial day.
They have no idea who took it...I told them to go impregnate themselves and then start off by paying every ticket it incurred.
Onstar was able to tell me the key that was dropped off at the dealer was the key used to drive the truck all weekend and while they could not say where the truck went it had 17 hard braking events over that weekend where the brakes were applied more than 60% and was run at 100% throttle position for a total of 17 minutes.
I complained to GM corporate and they called and offered a baseline of every fluid brake pad and serpentine belt and 3 years of free maintenance.
I took them up on the offer and then took it to the Chebby dealer in Culpeper and they then sent the bill to Country chevrolet with a smile.

2019-06-03 21.56.19.jpg

Last edited:
Buellering it must not have been enough.

For you youngsters, that is a reference to the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off where they take his buddy's dad's vintage Ferrari out for the day then put it on blocks, in reverse, and try to roll back the miles...unsuccessfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom