Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I have found with rust converter is that it will change the color of the paint where it creeps under it. On a floor that’s not a big deal.

I’d do both. Convert them film
Original interior is cleaning up nicely. Actually tempted to leave the old original Toyota mat out to avoid covering up the transmission tunnel! Forgot to ask - what is your go to converter?

1E58CBBF-3509-43DC-B367-997982BCEAB2.jpeg

Seconded to penetrol, it also smells much better than fluid film imo. I coated my air filter and valve cover. Next stop will be entire body.

Penetrol works better than rust converter in my experience, it eventually soaks into the metal without any residue (takes time though), does not make the steel black and I have not had discoloration issues on remaining paint.
Thanks for the tip! Already treated the front but will check it out next time I treat spots in the back

Well, did half the car today with clr. No one talks about how much work it is. Holy moly. Very happy with the results though, really astonishing.

After scotch bright, I noticed that it removed oxidation but there was more potential, so I switched to 0000 steel wool.
4FFA3E83-EDA3-43A3-B4C5-D5E3B96BF510.jpeg

The start:
846d827b-d285-40db-a19b-6bdd78ddf9e9-jpeg.3213148

Which ended up like this - note that only the side and hood are done and that it is covered in water, having just been rinsed. I’m hoping the penetrol will make it pop like the water does.

A2C2A3D7-8E36-43B2-B6F6-143F33FD6BE1.jpeg

846D827B-D285-40DB-A19B-6BDD78DDF9E9.jpeg

Well, did half the car today with clr. No one talks about how much work it is. Holy moly. Very happy with the results though, really astonishing.

After scotch bright, I noticed that it removed oxidation but there was more potential, so I switched to 0000 steel wool. View attachment 3213149

The start:
846d827b-d285-40db-a19b-6bdd78ddf9e9-jpeg.3213148

Which ended up like this - note that only the side and hood are done and that it is covered in water, having just been rinsed. I’m hoping the penetrol will make it pop like the water does.

View attachment 3213150

View attachment 3213148

Looks great. Yeah it's a helluva forearm workout shinning these things up.

Quick question for everyone/follow up to previous post. I finished up the clr process, before I move onto penetrol or fluid film (currently leaning towards the penetrol route), should I do anything else to try and clean up the paint?

I washed it down, I think I need to wash it a few more times, as there is still residue. Should I be concerned with removing streaks or water marks before penetrol, or will that be nonexistant once applied? Sorry if this is a silly question..

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 8.34.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 8.34.26 PM.png

Quick question for everyone/follow up to previous post. I finished up the clr process, before I move onto penetrol or fluid film (currently leaning towards the penetrol route), should I do anything else to try and clean up the paint?

I washed it down, I think I need to wash it a few more times, as there is still residue. Should I be concerned with removing streaks or water marks before penetrol, or will that be nonexistant once applied? Sorry if this is a silly question..

View attachment 3216082

View attachment 3216083
I would compound and polish the paint instead of penetrol. You will get better results IMO.

View attachment 3216082

View attachment 3216083

FWIW - Maybe try this stuff in the yellow bottle with an orbital.

IMG_2316.jpg

YMMV
IMG_5399.jpg

Wow thanks for the feedback everyone, makes me excited to think I can get that pop! I’ll look into the griots stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom