Plunger on 2LTE throttle body / oil in turbo couplings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
two questions that are probably simple for you more experienced guys.

My LJ78 has some oil leaking around the top of the engine. I see this plunger on the throttle body and it seems to be coming out there, at least partly. Can anyone explain the function of this and potential fix?

Also, some of the rubber couplings connecting the turbo to the throttle body were cracked and leaking. I replaced the bad ones yesterday. There was oil laying in the bottom of the tubes, my assumption is that it was accumulating there because of the cracked leaky rubber couplings losing airflow and not carrying the oil residue through properly. Any other thoughts? I don't get any smoke except for less than five seconds after a cold start and it runs perfectly.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

That oil looks like PCV buildup. If you haven't run your PCV hose to atmosphere/through a catch can I would recommend it. Basically it is just pumping oil mist from the valve cover into the intake. The plunger is the shaft for the small butterfly plate in the throttle body. If the butterfly plates haven't been removed that would be a good thing to do as well.
The other possibility is that your turbo seals are going, but I don't think that is as likely since you say that there is only smoke at startup. Start with the easy stuff first: take care of the PCV and clean the oil out of the intake, then check back after a week of driving to see if there is still oil collecting.

^^^What he said.

I've sprayed carb cleaner into the turbo compressor with the engine idling before to help rinse the oil out of the intake. Engine surges a bit but doesn't hurt anything. Went through most of a can I think.... :lol:

Thanks guys. You two always jump right in to help and I appreciate it so much. I have it all cleaned up and it seems that replacing all of the cracked connectors stopped the oil that I had leaking. Since I don't experience any smoke at all I'd say it isn't very much oil coming through there.

But two follow up questions:

1. Recommendations on a catch can, and where to install it, etc.?
2. How do you remove that butterfly plate?

Also, GTSSportsCoupe, I just picked up a pyrometer but it looks pretty tricky to get to the exhaust manifold. Did I see correctly that you drilled yours into the downpipe?

For the catch can I would recommend a Mann Hummel ProVent200. I installed mine on the LH side of the engine bay and routed the hoses behind the fuel filter.
Probably the best way to remove the butterfly plates is to remove the throttle body and drill the screws out. The smaller plate comes out easier, but the screws on the large plate are mushroomed on the backside.
Here is the ProVent I installed:
IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Also, GTSSportsCoupe, I just picked up a pyrometer but it looks pretty tricky to get to the exhaust manifold. Did I see correctly that you drilled yours into the downpipe?

Yes, I did put mine in the factory cast dump pipe. This is not ideal, but better than nothing. Ideal is to remove the turbo to give access to the exhaust manifold, and install the pyro in the manifold right before the turbo.

If you do put it in the dump pipe, make sure it is right in the the exhaust stream about an inch or two from the turbine outlet. This will yield the best possible temp results.

Got it. And where is the best place to run through the firewall?

Got it. And where is the best place to run through the firewall?

I think there are a couple spots in the firewall behind the washer fluid reservoir that are pretty easy to get at. Most direct route too. Just poke it through next to the wires in one of the existing cable holes.

Thanks for your help guys. I got it all hooked up and functioning well post turbo, except that I have it wired wrong so it only works when the headlight show are on. I'll figure that out tomorrow. I need to work out what fuse to wire the constant power to.

I'll review posts to see what are acceptable temps post turbo and when I should be worried. Heading out for a few thousand miles of highway driving with some mountain trails at my destination. Putting a 2 1/2" exhaust with no muffler on today.

Thanks for your help guys. I got it all hooked up and functioning well post turbo, except that I have it wired wrong so it only works when the headlight show are on. I'll figure that out tomorrow. I need to work out what fuse to wire the constant power to.

I'll review posts to see what are acceptable temps post turbo and when I should be worried. Heading out for a few thousand miles of highway driving with some mountain trails at my destination. Putting a 2 1/2" exhaust with no muffler on today.

Look for the auxiliary power box that Toyota thoughtfully provided as a power source under the hood. It's one of the best things I've discovered about landcruisers. It has constant 12V, Accessory 12V, and On 12V. I've posted a picture below of what the box looks like.

Regarding EGT's, I always tried to never let mine get over 1000F post turbo. Stock it would go to 1150F+ if I lugged it up hills. Once intercooled, higher boost and bigger exhaust, it is a struggle to get it to 900F now under worst case conditions in summer. Even with as much fuel as I can pump into that little motor....

dscn0176-jpg.417289

D-Buck,
I am having the same issue with the oil collecting on top of the intake. I vented the PCV overboard at Nick's recommendation and it stopped it to a fraction of what it was, but it is still occurring. Mine is not leaking at the pivot point for the TB plate as yours is, but below at the gasket to the intake manifold. I am going to remove and put some RTV on the gasket. Hopefully that helps.

If you decide to remove your butterfly valve/plate, I would RTV the holes where plate pivots.

Just curious, did you use fuel hose for the new cross over tube? Very slick.

R/
Don

Unless you think that there is a substantial leak in the intake I would concentrate on taking care of the source of oil. I think you mentioned elsewhere that your turbo might be going out. That would definitely be worth checking out as it is the only source of oil in the intake once the PCV has been removed. If the turbo is making noises it shouldn't then it is very likely that it is leaking oil as well.

D-Buck,
I am having the same issue with the oil collecting on top of the intake. I vented the PCV overboard at Nick's recommendation and it stopped it to a fraction of what it was, but it is still occurring. Mine is not leaking at the pivot point for the TB plate as yours is, but below at the gasket to the intake manifold. I am going to remove and put some RTV on the gasket. Hopefully that helps.

If you decide to remove your butterfly valve/plate, I would RTV the holes where plate pivots.

Just curious, did you use fuel hose for the new cross over tube? Very slick.

R/
Don

Yes, that's fuel hose. Soft and pliable and works great. Thanks!

Unless you think that there is a substantial leak in the intake I would concentrate on taking care of the source of oil. I think you mentioned elsewhere that your turbo might be going out. That would definitely be worth checking out as it is the only source of oil in the intake once the PCV has been removed. If the turbo is making noises it shouldn't then it is very likely that it is leaking oil as well.

My turbo is working great actually. And I get no smoke through the exhaust except for the black puff when I punch it hard. And no noises coming from the turbo, just the sweet whistle at low speed through the open exhaust. And I'm no longer leaking oil at the top of the engine, so I'm happy as a clam. And clams, as I understand them, are almost always real happy.

My turbo is working great actually. And I get no smoke through the exhaust except for the black puff when I punch it hard. And no noises coming from the turbo, just the sweet whistle at low speed through the open exhaust. And I'm no longer leaking oil at the top of the engine, so I'm happy as a clam. And clams, as I understand them, are almost always real happy.

I should have been more specific, I was meaning @Dprio34 regarding the turbo. Fantastic that you have solved your oil problem, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom