Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jimmy, tack weld a washer to pull dents instead of drilling holes. much better. You guys are so lucky to have these rigs with no holes, please don't make some ! Haha.... :flipoff2: :cheers:

Jimmy, tack weld a washer to pull dents instead of drilling holes. much better. You guys are so lucky to have these rigs with no holes, please don't make some ! Haha.... :flipoff2: :cheers:
Great call Pete and I was going to do that. Even talked with @dogfishlake about it when he was down last month. I just got lazy.

Great work, Jimmy!

When I had Krusty ( also a copper 60), I was thinking of painting him a cool Cerakote Burnt Bronze or Coyote Tan.

Great work, Jimmy!

When I had Krusty ( also a copper 60), I was thinking of painting him a cool Cerakote Burnt Bronze or Coyote Tan.
Thank you Dave. I’m looking forward to getting some color on it fairly soon. Maybe shooting the roof, A-pillars and wiper valence this weekend or sometime next week. Depends on the weather and my timing on prep work. If the above are perfect then I’ll include the rest of the tub. Will depend on the timing of the paint flashing.

Thank you Dave. I’m looking forward to getting some color on it fairly soon. Maybe shooting the roof, A-pillars and wiper valence this weekend or sometime next week. Depends on the weather and my timing on prep work. If the above are perfect then I’ll include the rest of the tub. Will depend on the timing of the paint flashing.
Jimmy, if you are thinking of going custom, the coolest thing going right now is non-metallic colors. They are a great look and honestly an easier avenue from an application standpoint. No metallic to stripe. Even a simgle stage looks great in non-metallic. The big downside is jambs and such. If I had to paint jambs anyway I would totally consider a non-metallic,

Win-win

Jimmy, if you are thinking of going custom, the coolest thing going right now is non-metallic colors. They are a great look and honestly an easier avenue from an application standpoint. No metallic to stripe. Even a simgle stage looks great in non-metallic. The big downside is jambs and such. If I had to paint jambs anyway I would totally consider a non-metallic,

Win-win
I don't know how far paint technology has gotten these days, but every older vehicle I've seen with a single stage paint job fades badly over time. My 60, for example - somebody tried to match the Freeborn Red and painted it with the doors shut (no jambs). Now it looks like an orangey-red tomato, and the jambs are the shiny multi-stage original Freeborn.

Dam…it’s always worse than you think it’s going to be. Cleaned off some cracking bondo and found a few holes. Taking donor metal off my Euro 61 (the tub is toast and I have a dry 62 tub to replace it). Will go fat so I can weld on flatter surfaces. Welding is not my best skill so I need to ensure I can get to it with a grinding pad.

View attachment 2969668

View attachment 2969669

View attachment 2969670
I am about to fix this exact area on my 85 of the same color as yours.

I am about to fix this exact area on my 85 of the same color as yours.
Very cool. There are many ways to go about it. I chose the full cut only because I had a good section off a truck that otherwise is scrap due to rust. I’ve cut up a few 60’s but save any good sections for situations like this. Hindsight I would have gone with a smaller patch as this job was more welding, filler etc than I would have liked. As I always say…I try to learn something new every day. This hobby presents many opportunities to do just that. :).

Pleased with this patch in the passenger front door jam. This was where one of the plastic plugs covered a hole drilled to apply some type of rust protection at the dealer or distributor. Many other plugs but for some reason this one was impacted with rust around the plug. Actually cut some donor metal from @CaptClose ‘s rolled 80 that @samc2447 and I cut up last month. I’m keen on recycling :).

CEB05ADC-D1F1-450E-9A13-3731AE46E36F.jpeg

C7D6CCDE-8DC0-4E25-8436-D3D06864290F.jpeg

0E06EAD1-011A-449C-87DD-C6A53C0F3B5F.jpeg

CD7AC83A-2CC3-4C25-AC3B-91FDA13A773D.jpeg

DD55561A-1B53-4E40-BFBC-21E4DEBD9538.jpeg

Other body work. Finishing up a handful of applications of body filler. Each coat gets smaller and smaller. Should be applying the final glazing coat tomorrow.
26DF25F3-140A-4378-9037-D4D42B8923AD.jpeg
8628997C-EA8E-4177-9211-F608CEB869EA.jpeg
551FDA44-B30C-43B6-BD01-AAABACB5977F.jpeg
DDBD76FB-C4FC-4A63-9B7A-7EE522279765.jpeg

Some progress since getting back from CO. Hope to finish prepping the tub from below the rain gutter and shoot it next weekend. Pleased how the metallic turned out. Don’t believe I suffered from the “tiger stripe” syndrome. Will know for sure when I get it in the sun.

CD67F001-2C41-49EC-B38F-10C9A84E0AD8.jpeg

48A22B30-1CE8-4F0E-BE56-278158515B99.jpeg

A1D55540-7EC9-4339-B3C3-3C7A49FC3B31.jpeg

4C22BAC8-3A09-4675-9017-239EC8520A38.jpeg

5A65ACC0-8A05-4180-8A29-D1BDDD7A8F51.jpeg

Anyone wanting to paint their own truck I can tell you the gun makes a huge difference. I’ve had this one for about 3 years and todays job took 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear. When I used a Harbor freight economy gun on my blue 60 years ago it was almost double the coats to get the material I needed on the panels. And still had to do twice the work wet sanding and buffing to get all the orange peel out.

D22A2EFD-1C48-4585-9DF4-06CF8FB56845.jpeg

7F21A6DD-C904-4A50-A71F-AFF48318A64D.jpeg

Man, paint's looking good from here !! 👍
Thank you Pete. I’m pleased with how it laid. Was racing against a potential storm as well. Shot the first coat of clear when this was bearing down on me. Luckily it split at the last minute and went around my place. We have not had hardly any rain in 6 months and need it, just not today

9F5EC964-8CE2-4984-906A-A2BA6088E309.png

Haha, I swear I was gonna ask if you had an Iwata now !!!
Yes sir. Not many games where the arrow helps the Indian. But it does here.

Anyone wanting to paint their own truck I can tell you the gun makes a huge difference. I’ve had this one for about 3 years and todays job took 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear. When I used a Harbor freight economy gun on my blue 60 years ago it was almost double the coats to get the material I needed on the panels. And still had to do twice the work wet sanding and buffing to get all the orange peel out.

View attachment 2984725

View attachment 2984726
As a woodworker, I can attest to this statement. My 60 is this same color and I wasn’t crazy about it when I bought it. It’s grown on me and I don’t know that I would change it now. I would absolutely love to do what you’re doing here some day and hope to do so at some point. I’m very interested to see how this turns out for you. I’ve not got any experience spraying colors on cars. But if you can spray nitro on guitars I think you can spray metallic on cars.

As a woodworker, I can attest to this statement. My 60 is this same color and I wasn’t crazy about it when I bought it. It’s grown on me and I don’t know that I would change it now. I would absolutely love to do what you’re doing here some day and hope to do so at some point. I’m very interested to see how this turns out for you. I’ve not got any experience spraying colors on cars. But if you can spray nitro on guitars I think you can spray metallic on cars.
Absolutely you can. If you’re already handling a gun on the guitars this is just a bigger product. I learn something every time I shoot and this one is no different being a metallic. It really does look pretty in person. Hard to see the flakes in the pics. Just took a closeup so you can see. Wish I had access to a booth so I could shoot it all at once.
E7FAD6F5-3F27-4958-8C63-17543595C533.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom