Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And she runs

Have a lot of things to work through. Having never worked on a smogged truck I’m learning a ton. After I get some fuel in the tank I’ll start working through to verify there’s no more leaks and all the smog parts are functioning properly. And of course triple checking my work to make certain all those dam vacuum lines are in the correct locations

Have a lot of things to work through. Having never worked on a smogged truck I’m learning a ton. After I get some fuel in the tank I’ll start working through to verify there’s no more leaks and all the smog parts are functioning properly. And of course triple checking my work to make certain all those dam vacuum lines are in the correct locations
When you deliver it to Ft Collins, swing by my place for a vac line double check if you want! 🤣

When you deliver it to Ft Collins, swing by my place for a vac line double check if you want! 🤣
Hell yeah. Don’t know how you guys (and those in CA) deal with this smog stuff. But good to know folks that know their way around this system.

Hell yeah. Don’t know how you guys (and those in CA) deal with this smog stuff. But good to know folks that know their way around this system.
I moved from Colorado to Montana because of the smog stuff. Sure the logical thing would have been to get a new fancy vehicle, but I’ve hit my head too many times on the ground in my life.

Small update. Spent around 20 days in the CO San Jauns this month so not a lot of progress. I have the motor running pretty smooth. Will hold idle off choke but down to one vacuum leak that I found doing another smoke test. It’s the big ferrule nut on the EGR system. Smoked was strong coming out the tube side of the nut. Trying to figure the best material to use to seal the threads. Then I’ll fine tune the timing and do the lean drop on the carb. Vacuum is holding steady at 17 but hoping to get it above 20 (I’m at 1100’ elevation). Also straightened and cleaned up the front bumper, added new OEM end caps and put on the dealer installed bumper guard. It’s pretty sweet looking IMO.

IMG_1844.jpeg

71513753166__12009E36-408E-4D40-A41F-B70EF05E2E5F.jpeg

71513755959__EA5885FA-C2C1-49DB-B3B3-7B8F0C0DD414.jpeg

71513759346__EBDBCFA7-9F82-4AEB-BF89-8D986912A67C.jpeg

71513761282__A9673BF5-73BB-4BCC-B07A-BDC0A5681F5B.jpeg

Small update. Spent around 20 days in the CO San Jauns this month so not a lot of progress. I have the motor running pretty smooth. Will hold idle off choke but down to one vacuum leak that I found doing another smoke test. It’s the big ferrule nut on the EGR system. Smoked was strong coming out the tube side of the nut. Trying to figure the best material to use to seal the threads. Then I’ll fine tune the timing and do the lean drop on the carb. Vacuum is holding steady at 17 but hoping to get it above 20 (I’m at 1100’ elevation). Also straightened and cleaned up the front bumper, added new OEM end caps and put on the dealer installed bumper guard. It’s pretty sweet looking IMO.

View attachment 3415818

View attachment 3415819

View attachment 3415820

View attachment 3415821

View attachment 3415822
You might check to see if the EGR tube itself isn't cracked, assuming you haven't already. I've had to weld cracks in a couple of EGR tubes on 4AGE's. Lots of heat, and lots of vibration, plus 30 or more so odd years!

You might check to see if the EGR tube itself isn't cracked, assuming you haven't already. I've had to weld cracks in a couple of the EGR tubes on 4AGE's. Lots of heat, and lots of vibration, plus 30 or more so odd years!
Good call Allen. I actually stripped the original one (steel male/aluminum female connection) so I pulled this one from another motor. Those are a PITA to remove and mount.

View attachment 3415818

View attachment 3415819

View attachment 3415820

View attachment 3415821

View attachment 3415822
Are you getting the engine up to temp before you smoke test it? If I’m not mistaken that connection has a ferrule that expands with heat to seal the joint. They will leak water when the EGR box fills with condensation. Fwiw, I used extreme temp rtv from permatex on those threads before I deleted it.

@CenTXFJ60 I think @cps432 is on to something. In any case I had a machinist making those ferrules for me a while back. The smaller upper one is available from Toyota but not that big one for the j-pipe. I don’t think I have any extra leftover since they sold out every time I had a batch made, but I can check. I’m unable to find anyone to make them these days - if somebody has a lathe and wants to bust some out I’ll gladly work a deal. I want to get them back for sale on my website.

Also, paging @joesfj40: how many of those did you squirrel away?

A few pics to document washing her :). Still have low vacuum (16-17). Have tested the EGR with neg vac applied while running the engine shuts her down. Got the ferrule nut secured and smoke is coming out in areas other than the nut. Nate (@mattressking ) and Jim (@CruiserTrash )have been awesome teaching a Texan how to diagnose a smog system. Really appreciate their help. Will keep plugging away at it. Ordering a new grill badge and will clean/paint the grill and headlight covers (leaving the plastic chrome in place). Hope to get those on in short order.

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

Some interior work (front door panels and a factory console that I cleaned and painted with SEM) as well as put in a new OEM PCV and grommet. No pics on the PCV but weird enough it does not stay on the grommet. Just pops it. May try hitting it with a nylon hammer and see if that helps.

71547467057__C1ABD4CE-048A-462F-ABC0-D243890EF86A.jpeg

71547463037__3366CA48-1693-46E0-A02A-8E08BC42D954.jpeg

@CenTXFJ60 I think @cps432 is on to something. In any case I had a machinist making those ferrules for me a while back. The smaller upper one is available from Toyota but not that big one for the j-pipe. I don’t think I have any extra leftover since they sold out every time I had a batch made, but I can check. I’m unable to find anyone to make them these days - if somebody has a lathe and wants to bust some out I’ll gladly work a deal. I want to get them back for sale on my website.

Also, paging @joesfj40: how many of those did you squirrel away?

Yep @CruiserTrash I have a few hoarded away. @CenTXFJ60 let me know if you want me to pop one in the mail for ya.

I was also able to source them from my local contractors maintenance shop that rebuilt air compressors , generators, pressure washers… Didn’t know their source or a part number sadly.

Photo of Jim’s vs random contractor shop…

IMG_9198.jpeg

IMG_9199.jpeg

Some interior work (front door panels and a factory console that I cleaned and painted with SEM) as well as put in a new OEM PCV and grommet. No pics on the PCV but weird enough it does not stay on the grommet. Just pops it. May try hitting it with a nylon hammer and see if that helps.

View attachment 3419275

View attachment 3419276
I had that issue with the PCV. I think the grommet I used was a aftermarket. It wouldn’t fit the Toyota valve. I paid the $12 plus shipping for the Toyota grommet and it fits perfectly.

I don’t recall if I tried this, but perhaps pull the grommet out of the fitting and install the valve into the grommet and then try to install them both into the fitting? Seems like I would have tried that before I spent $12+ on a tiny rubber donut.

Yessir, tagging along.

Jim, I believe you offered me the loan of your knuckle centering tool a few months ago, I ended up getting that job done but (if it was you) may take you up on that as I have another one to do on my 40 soon.

Great stuff here…

Ian

Yessir, tagging along.

Jim, I believe you offered me the loan of your knuckle centering tool a few months ago, I ended up getting that job done but (if it was you) may take you up on that as I have another one to do on my 40 soon.

Great stuff here…

Ian
Absolutely Ian. You’re welcome to it

Have put in a couple hours over the last week detailing the grill and headlight doors. Mounted the grill this evening and hope to get the doors on manana. This cleaner someone recommended a while back is some good stuff. Took a while as this truck is worthy of a new grill badge. Ordered a few from overseas so it took a while to get here. The one upclose pic shows the dirty vs cleaned area.

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom