Safari intercooler pics and bushing dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, if anyone has a safari intercooler would you be so kind as to post pics of the mounting setup and basic support bushing dimensions? I am trying to see if these will work on my US petrol 80 with NLA Safari intercooled turbo with rotted intercooler support bushings. Feel free to post here or email me at theonlysubzali@gmail.com.

This is somewhat urgent.

On a related note, does anybody know the part number and whether they can be ordered separate from a full intercooler kit? Any contacts in Australia? I've been chasing my tail on this for months and cannot get a hold of Safari.

For reference I am needing 4 bushings of the approximate dimensions below - these I'm hoping are the same as what the diesel intercooler uses.

attachment.php

Thanks

Last edited:
No affiliation .. but these guys are Safari dealer ..

http://www.rocoperformance.com/

I am in contact with the U.S. distributor, MZM Performance, but they are telling me that Safari will not confirm if the diesel parts will cross over to the petrol parts. All I can do is order them through the dealer (if they are available) and hope that they fit. No option for returns, it will be at my own risk. Just trying to do a little research before I plop some money down.

I have been working on this since January (granted off and on since I have a day job and life has gotten in the way a couple times), but here's the deal: they say on their website and it was true when I called them as well that they sell through dealers and act as an OEM. Kinda like if I were to try to call Toyota they wouldn't give me the time of day because they go through their dealers. I have called Oz a couple of times to try to talk to ARB (who is one of their dealers) and to Safari and I have sent emails to both as well (per the suggestions of the people on the phone) but those have gone off into the ether with no response and no follow-up. I'm not going to push a rope but before I spend some money on non-returnable parts from Oz I'm just trying to see if my idea will work. I figure Safari still makes intercoolers for diesel 80s so why would the mounting design be any different from my petrol 80?

It's just frustrating to take the time to call when they are actually open for business on the other side of the world, then be told to email, and send an email and never get any sort of response or acknowledgement. I'm not asking for detailed dimensional drawings, I'm just asking if it would work.

You're in luck. All diameters posted are correct. However, thickness 0.5800 = 0.6050 and 0.9050 = 0.9200. I'm assuming this would be from wear if you measured the old ones? Try posting on LCOOL for replacements....

My work has made alot of rubber stuff for Safari over the years, had a quick look couldnt see a specific P/N for that type of part. Probably just a off the shelf bush. Check these links for something close.

http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/pdf/flex_I_pages/plainbushes.pdf

http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/pdf/vibration-isolators/mobile-dual-compression.pdf

http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/products/

Wow, thanks for that!

You're in luck. All diameters posted are correct. However, thickness 0.5800 = 0.6050 and 0.9050 = 0.9200. I'm assuming this would be from wear if you measured the old ones? Try posting on LCOOL for replacements....

Well, wouldn't you know it, after posting up here I contacted Safari again and got a response! The sales manager confirmed that the bushings are the same between the diesel and petrol versions, so that sounds encouraging. My card is being processed and the bushings should be on their way soon! I'm hoping this will be the best solution. I will check with Mackay tomorrow and see how their prices compare to the "OEM" ones for future reference!

Too many mindless drones attached to phones and email machines.

Glad you found what you needed after so long.

Price: $15AUD each, shipping to my address in CO via Australia Post was $34AUD. The same shipping cost would basically be able to cover 4 sets of 4. I am waiting to receive the bushings to check if they indeed are the same.

The contact is here for future reference:
Bryan McMeikan
Sales Manager
Safari 4x4 Engineering
73 Merrindale Drive,
Croydon South, 3136,
Victoria, Australia
Ph: +61 3 9761 7244upload_2015-4-17_9-33-36.png
Fax: +61 3 9761 7665upload_2015-4-17_9-33-36.png
bryan@safari4x4.com.au
www.safarisnorkel.com.au

I win :cool:

On April 14 I placed my order. On May 11 they arrived in my mailbox.

Beauties ain't they:

image1.jpg

As stated above they are for the diesel intercooler application but they looked and measured the same as the ones for my petrol intercooler. As I suspected. Bwahaha.

So I promptly went about installing them, and here is the final assemblage:

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image5.jpg

image4.jpg

It turns out they are made of black polyurethane, so if I ever need to fabricate new ones it shouldn't be too hard for a performance/speed shop to help me with such a task.

To that end I took some measurements and drew up a sketch for posterity:

bushing mm.jpg

I had my cooler apart the other day, and noticed the bottom bushes were noticably softer/more degraded than the top ones. All 4 were replaced about 3 years ago... so something to keep an eye on. I just swapped them top for bottom. I have seen people suggest trimming up rubber shock bushes to use too :)

3679C34F-E8C3-4815-B330-69F85E68EF70.jpeg
I machined my ones out of a bit of red urethane and still have some left over to make more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom