Replacement bushing for Safari intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Safari intercooler is held in place with 4 hard rubber shoulder bushings. The bushing dimensions are:

1.2" (30mm) major OD
0.795" (20mm) minor OD
0.475" ID to go around a 12mm(?) stud
0.580" (15mm) length of shoulder
0.905" (23mm) overall length

Checked McMaster and I don't think they have anything with a large enough ID, at least with their push-in bumpers. Any ideas?

I was able to contact Safari and they are sending me replacement bushings. This wasn't really straightforward as they act like an OEM and typically only sell through their dealers. I realized, however, that even though the petrol turbo and intercooler is discontinued, Safari still offers a diesel intercooler kit for the 80 series Land Cruisers. I figured the likelihood of the designs being the same between the diesel part and petrol part was high, and was finally able to contact Safari's sales manager directly. He confirmed that they are the same, so I am waiting to receive the bushings to confirm this. Should be a 7-10 days.

Price: $15AUD each, shipping to my address in CO via Australia Post was $34AUD. The same shipping cost would basically be able to cover 4 sets of 4.

So for those others running Safari turbos, the contact is here:
Bryan McMeikan
Sales Manager
Safari 4x4 Engineering
73 Merrindale Drive,
Croydon South, 3136,
Victoria, Australia
Ph: +61 3 9761 7244
Fax: +61 3 9761 7665
bryan@safari4x4.com.au
www.safarisnorkel.com.au

Other options include getting the bushings custom made by a performance shop or using shock bushings from a car application and doing a little massaging to the bushings to make them exactly the right shape and size. I wanted to try the OEM route first.

I win :cool:

On April 14 I placed my order. On May 11 they arrived in my mailbox.

Beauties ain't they:

image1.jpg

As stated above they are for the diesel intercooler application but they looked and measured the same as the ones for my petrol intercooler. As I suspected. Bwahaha.

So I promptly went about installing them, and here is the final assemblage:

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image5.jpg

image4.jpg

It turns out they are made of black polyurethane, so if I ever need to fabricate new ones it shouldn't be too hard for a performance/speed shop to help me with such a task.

To that end I took some measurements and drew up a sketch for posterity:

bushing%20mm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom