Oil explosion in engine compartment...What the H&@¥! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving down the highway in my DD, a 94 FZJ80 (rebuilt engine 3 years ago) when my oil pressure suddenly drops and the oil light comes on. I get off the next exit and pull into a gas station. When I open the hood, oil is everywhere and looking under the engine I can't pinpoint the source because everything is dripping oil. I finally get it towed to my trusted mechanic and today he says it's difficult to say exactly what the problem without actually opening things up. He suspects it's the harmonic balancer and more specifically a gasket or seal that's located behind it. Cost of job is $1500 and he says he can't guarantee this is the problem. He says we do this, fill it up with oil, crank it up...and then look, listen, and feel.

I wish I had taken a picture of the mess but I was too preoccupied with arranging for a flatbed. The most difficult repair I have tackled to date was to rebuild the front axle knuckles so when it comes to engine work, I haven't a clue as to what's the best course of action. I'm asking Mudders do I have any choice?

I mean, you should be able to at least zero in on some area of the engine that you think it originated from?

Its tough for anyone to guess without either having the exact thing happen or a few pictures. Good luck I hope you trust your mechanic a lot.

Did you lose power steering? That would be a sign from what i've read of the crank bolt loosening and allowing oil past the front main seal, unless the seal just blew out. It should not cost $1500 bucks to pop off the crank bolt/pulley and pop a seal on there. Changing it should take < a few hours.

Look at the oil pressure sensors first. If a sensor was cracked or broken, that's about all there would be that would spray it externally enough to get it everywhere.

We need pics to armchair diagnose.......

Oil cooler connection?
Oil pressure sender?
Oil filter gasket?
Rock hit the oil filter and poke a hole?
Oil pump O-Ring blow out?

Wompom,
No it wasn't even making any noise. It wasn't until I opened the hood did I truly suspect something was wrong. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on removing the crank bolt and I think I could do it, but I am old and it looks like a job for someone a little more limber. By the way, he had it on the lift and showed me a seal that looked like it was blown out.

Getting the vehicle up on a lift/rack...cleaning the engine as well as possible, filling with oil than start it up and let it idle should reveal any significant leak pretty quickly.

If a front main seal (at the harmonic balancer) it should be easy to see. Your fan is probably blowing the oil all over the engine and undercarriage. There is very little pressure in the crankcase and only a few other places where pressurized oil could actually spew from.

I can tell you this much: Any 'good' mechanic will able to at least eliminate a lot of the possibilities without having to 'open things up'. Only AFTER you have failed to find the leak/failure externally would 'opening things up' be warranted. A burst oil filter or gasket could easily cause what you describe. Happened to my Daughter's Firebird when she was in high school.

Quick lube place when replacing the filter failed to notice the gasket from the previous filter was still on the oil filter boss. So the new filter got screwed onto the old gasket (filter now double gasketed). Of course, that is a failure waiting to happen...which it did about a week later. Engine was covered in oil, immediate loss of oil pressure. I found the double gasket.

So...just give it a good 'look' before letting anyone tear into it.

BILT4ME,
I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures. I will admit to something else that was probably stupid...i adjusted the timing about two months ago without using a timing light. Adjusted it by sound and feel. Drove it, heard pinging adjusted it back a little, and did this two more times until it was running smooth and peppy. Do you think could have hastened this problem?

On my phone without glasses so if i missed something be kind.

Sounds to me your pressurizing the block. Either a bad pvc valve, vent or blocked valve cover passage. This pressure will force oil out of any and all holes including the dipstick

Goid luck

Clean the engine with a pressure washer or engine degreaser and garden hose.

Then take a good look around.
If that doesn't give any ideas then crank the engine over and then look again.

How much oil did you loose?

Couple of quarters at the car wash to clean it up? Add some oil anfvfire it up. Oil source should be obvious. IF It is crank seal then $15 for seal and an hour or two for labor.

45Kevin,
When I checked the dipstick the tip had a touch of oil on it. It looked like maybe a quart or two were on the stations tarmac. Must have only been a quart or two remaining in the engine.

Shouldnt need to open up anything to find an external oil leak. Maybe to fix it but... needs more info. Take it to a second shop.

45Kevin,
When I checked the dipstick the tip had a touch of oil on it. It looked like maybe a quart or two were on the stations tarmac. Must have only been a quart or two remaining in the engine.

If touch of oil on the dipstick, you lost about 2 qts (if even that) and 6 qts are remaining in the engine. Add 2 qts and start engine as others have mentioned to verify where the leak is coming from. No need to open things up and even trust the mechanic that wants $1500 and thinks he knows what he is doing. Idiot mechanic.

So, add 2 qts to fill. See if the mechanic wants to verify where the leak is coming from. Once confirmed, get a price to fix or call someone else to get a quote and have the vehicle towed there. Right now you're at his mercy he thinks.

Last edited:
$1500 for a front main seal?

You need to find another mechanic.

I was thinking the same thing!

Like others said, steam clean motor, start it up and find leak then get quote for work...oh, and lose that mechanic ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom