Events/Trails Official 2019 Fall Crawl Information Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 days! I'll post this over in Keystone's forum but I see a lot of those guys here - Anyone coming from up north that wants a super questionable FJ40 chasing them? The plan is to drive this thing 160 miles to Gore, drag it across some rocks and drive it home - but it's always less of a white-knuckle experience if there's a bail out vehicle.

For those folks wanting to do green trails - sign me up.

Question for those of us who get 3MPG off-road - is there gas available locally or should I plan on loading myself down with extra gas cans?

Agreed. Why no advertisement for our event?
I thought we chose for it not to be publicized like that since there was a cap, and wanting to be Toyota community.

"BIG DOGS OFFROAD provides experienced trail guides, plenty of action, and a good time with good "wheelers". Limited number of vehicles at each event, first-come-first served."

Can't pre-register for them? I'm just asking and was assuming on why we didn't share

At Expo East when I was talking to vendors trying to get more free stuff and mentioned our fall crawl some thought it was that event. Shared stories of past experiences and how it was just a bashing of vehicles where people were breaking rigs, going out late night drunk wheeling and didn't plan to go back due to their experience

Sounds like jeep owners to me... :meh:

I wouldn't jump to bashing Jeeps. The Cove doesn't have the best reputation...
But I think that has to do with have public site info like that. You'll get more immature people that just beat rigs and could ruin the environment for others.

Compared to posting on a forum that from what I've seen has a good group of people looking to help others out and encourage, keeping a family friendly place. (I have seen people on the forums that aren't that way)

Another benefit I see to not posting on their site is everyone had to register ahead of time. Giving us a proper head count, what size shirts are needed instead of over ordering, along with a budget on prizes, and when they registered they saw an inspection sheet so they knew their rig had to be to a certain level or they wouldn't be allowed to wheel

I have to disagree that it's "public site info" and hardcore wheelers that contribute to their less than desirable reputation. From what I've heard (from first hand experience) over and over, is it's their questionable pricing and haphazard attitude towards wheelers.

Did you hear the pricing was ridiculous/rip off? I have heard the big dog event is pricey.

But would there have been any benefit for our event to be posted up onto their website? We did hit our cap before registration ended

C'mon, man... The venue not promoting our event is not about supporting sales, it's about supporting the event. What if we didn't hit our cap? Would you be supporting them?

I've heard first-hand experiences of drivers coming in with local plates and getting one price, while other drivers with the same driver/passenger ratio for the same time frame but out-of-state plates getting charged much higher. Just sayin'...

I definitely misunderstood your original post. I thought you were asking why we didn't have them share it.
And I was under the impression we did not ask them the promote it. Or told them not to share on their site and that's why it wasn't there.

10 days! I'll post this over in Keystone's forum but I see a lot of those guys here - Anyone coming from up north that wants a super questionable FJ40 chasing them? The plan is to drive this thing 160 miles to Gore, drag it across some rocks and drive it home - but it's always less of a white-knuckle experience if there's a bail out vehicle.

For those folks wanting to do green trails - sign me up.

Question for those of us who get 3MPG off-road - is there gas available locally or should I plan on loading myself down with extra gas cans?

There's a gas station within 5mins if I remember correctly

1. This is a private event that we promoted and did not want a bunch of Yahoo's coming to, although we have a few and maybe one from NC. Ha! I did not ask them to promote our event nor did I want them to.

2. I would bring fuel with you. It is a long twisty drive to get more and it is easy enough to bring an extra 5 gallons.

3. Big Dogs has been doing events there for over 20 years. They are in and helped start the off-roading there, including trail building. John puts on a "BIG SHOW" at his events. I have been to a few. I have friends that go. It is a different group of people that go to that event. I did have fun, I did wheel at night, I saw a lot of stuff. One event had over 300 rigs, too many for my taste in that venue. It was not and is not a bad event. They have entry level trail rides, instructional events, and go do whatever you want events.

4. The Cove is on private property. They can and do what they want. If we want to go play in their playground, I suggest we go with the flow. One may not like the prices but that is what they charge. They make money at big events and a little during the week and other times. This is their JOB, career, their income stream. We live on the East Coast, it was settled first so people lived here. They bought land. We do not have many options to wheel, much less public land to wheel on. IF we lived out West, settled later on and not as lush and green as the East, there would be more open less populated areas that you could wheel on. Most people do not want to live in the places that people wheel on and by then public land and parks where in play. It is a hole different ball game.

Rant over...lets look at the pos side of us getting to go wheeling in our own state in the East and it will happen next weekend!

Rob

Could be Big dogs Fall Crawl, which is a different event.
Agreed. Why no advertisement for our event?
Can't pre-register for them? I'm just asking and was assuming on why we didn't share
At Expo East when I was talking to vendors trying to get more free stuff and mentioned our fall crawl some thought it was that event. Shared stories of past experiences and how it was just a bashing of vehicles where people were breaking rigs, going out late night drunk wheeling and didn't plan to go back due to their experience
Sounds like jeep owners to me... :meh:
But I think that has to do with have public site info like that. You'll get more immature people that just beat rigs and could ruin the environment for others.
Compared to posting on a forum that from what I've seen has a good group of people looking to help others out and encourage, keeping a family friendly place. (I have seen people on the forums that aren't that way)
Another benefit I see to not posting on their site is everyone had to register ahead of time. Giving us a proper head count, what size shirts are needed instead of over ordering, along with a budget on prizes, and when they registered they saw an inspection sheet so they knew their rig had to be to a certain level or they wouldn't be allowed to wheel

So, the answer to most of these is pretty simple: I don't know that we asked them to, nor do I know if we have control of what they post, since it is their place and their website. Also the Cove does not update their website very often... case in point, there is also apparently a classic Broncos event the same weekend, unbeknownst to me until last week. It is only like 24 trucks, so it won't be a big deal, but a surprise none-the-less.

I don't really care if our event is advertised, or not, on the Cove's website. The only potential drawback to not having our event on their site is that people who are not aware that our event is on a particular weekend may make plans for that weekend, only to get there and find out there are 90 trucks and 100+ people running around.

I don't know much about Big Dogs, though I think some of the stories are dated and have been exaggerated over time.

And while the BBRC has had the Fall Crawl name for 16 years, which may be longer than Big Dogs has had an event of the same name. It is not likely that BD will change the name of their event.

Let's all just take a step back, take a breath and keep it civil.

Not everyone has the historical perspective of how things used to be, they only know what they are told by others, or hear through the rumor mill. Perception becomes reality and is usually based on a certain amount of fact, though, like I said, likely exaggerated over time.

Last edited:
...did not want a bunch of Yahoo's coming to, although we have a few and maybe one from NC. Ha!...
I'm gonna keep my eyes open for that guy. I've heard some things that scare me. :hmm: :lol:

Hey guys - Please let me know if anyone would be willing to lead/follow me into the Cove from Winchester either Thursday night or Friday morning. I'm having a flat bed installed on my Dodge (tow rig) Friday morning at Anderson Truck Equipment in Winchester. I plan on leaving the Dodge and trailer at Anderson all day Friday (not opposed to dropping it Thursday evening), off-loading my Cruiser from my trailer, then drive the Cruiser into the event. It's been about 15 years since I've been to the Cove and the Cruiser is more less a buggy with a liscense plate. I street drive it a few times a week so I don't have reasons to think it won't be fine but I'd better be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance. -Andy

Last edited:
@LowDown I’m local to Winchester 2 min from Anderson. I’m probably going to the cove Thursday Afternoon mid morning. I’ll drive by Anderson’s on my way to 50. I’ll stop in and see if you are there when I come throw. I’ll PM you my number you can give me a call if you get into trouble.

@Jakes40 Thanks man - I'd really appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom