OEM Soft Top Ambulance Doors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Peter ....Question....

is your rear doors (the upper frame) all silver? not just hinge correct?

'tlaporte' ...yes the bows them selves are definatly the color of the truck

'Splangy' .... the bows and hinge have the canvas sandwiched between them....basicly two holes thru the canvas to put the bolts thru to attach the bow to the hinge....no pic here....maybe at work...monday?

not sure if this brings it into perspective but the tops of the doors are like the bows themselves the channel that the weatherstripping slides in clamps down on the canvas to keep it tight - you just make two cuts and fold in the canvas where the door hinge is
IMG_1226.JPG

well then that sheds a lot of light on things...the ones that i have seen on file...photos only...not lit...the rear door tops are silver....the whole upper frame is silver/gray...so in turn the hinge sticking out will also be silver/gray sticking out and attaching to the bow on the outside of the vinyl....

but...this was not the case for all years...what years and/or what regions Toyota did this i can quite figure out...some 79+ cruisers have the silver top doors...and some are body color....

some pre79 trucks have silver top rear doors and some dont....i have not seen a single pre75 with the rear doors silver....they were all body color.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out what body color is going to be, then!

For what it's worth, the paint code on the plate on the firewall is 000. I was hoping that Toyota might have been a bit more specific in their Army green designation.

ID plate photo

- Tom

I paid $220 for the pair. $120 for the complete one and $100 for the partial. They were in their clearance section and had been for a while so they were under the "make us an offer" heading. It's funny that they went to $120 for the complete door, but wouldn't go below $100 for the partial. $220 seemed very fair for both of them, but I would have thought the breakdown would have valued the complete door a bit more than the partial.

In any case, I think I've got a good starting point. I don't have a barn door to compare it to, but what I remember from the '72 FJ40 that I had the barn doors are a bit more substantial than the bottom half of the soft top ambulance door. Otherwise I would just be able to grab a spare barn door off of somebody and drill the appropriate holes for mounting the upper amby door frame.

Seems like a good deal, I would have snapped it up too.

Seems like a good deal, I would have snapped it up too.

Yeah, I was a little surprised at how long they stayed on the clearance page. Figured somebody would have bought them in order to do something with them.

I think that one reason is that they were all listed as right side doors, but after staring at the photos for long enough, I determined that unless they'd reversed the negative (which didn't seem likely in the digital age) that one of the fragments was actually a left side door.

...the rear door tops are silver....the whole upper frame is silver/gray...so in turn the hinge sticking out will also be silver/gray sticking out and attaching to the bow on the outside of the vinyl....

but...this was not the case for all years...what years and/or what regions Toyota did this i can quite figure out...some 79+ cruisers have the silver top doors...and some are body color....

some pre79 trucks have silver top rear doors and some dont....i have not seen a single pre75 with the rear doors silver....they were all body color.

Some news Johnny ... pics of not silver frames please, :D
otherwise the color must be silver on a resto ;)
Cheers
Peter

here are a few i found in lit.....its hard to see ...but...easyer on the pdf...the rear upper hinges are yellow not silver...a 1975 Jp lit

second is a 1974 lit...upper frame is blue not silver

third it also a Jp lit and from 1977 yellow upper hinge
1975_02.jpg
1974_04.jpg
1977_08.jpg

Thanks .... hope they came not in pinc :D.... all I can say the body color on the abulance frames are not my taste ;)
Cheers
Peter

Sometimes the early Toyota factory reminds on
the Morgan Motor Company in Malvern they painted parts with the nearest paint pot they could find ;)....
by the way Morgan goes back to the roots and developed a new three wheeler .
You can buy it in 2011 ... great !!!!
see link
The Morgan Motor Company
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Not to side track...however...i like the morgans alot...aka porsche eaters in UK...sorry Peter...i didnt makeup the name :)

worked on a few and drove a Morgan Plus8 ...they are fine automobiles!!!

didnt you have one...or had one? or am i thinking of somebody else?

Not to side track...however...i like the morgans alot...aka porsche eaters in UK...sorry Peter...i didnt makeup the name :)

worked on a few and drove a Morgan Plus8 ...they are fine automobiles!!!

didnt you have one...or had one? or am i thinking of somebody else?
you are not thinking of somebody else ;)

Anyone have detailed photos of the latches? (the links to Flickr are blocked, I'll check them from home later) Mine have been chileno'd (if it broke the Chilean P.O. just welded it)

The upper handle on mine is not attached to anything. Theres a slide-bolt that keeps the left side shut and the right side latch is welded to an inner latch, it's functional, but not serviceable.

Rear Soft Doors.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom