For Sale OEM FJ40 Soft Top, Bows, back doors, great condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI all, I am looking to sell my OEM FJ40 soft top with all of the accessories to include bows and rear doors. I bought my 1982 FJ40 Soft Top in Indonesia, but since I much prefer the look of a hard top, I had a hard top built for it and installed. I have moved back home and am now in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and am new to the FJ40 ownership community. Now that I have the hard top on, I don't think I'll ever put the soft top back on. I purchased the FJ40 from a collector (he has 12-15 Land Cruisers) and the top is in great condition. Not sure how much the soft top is worth but am open for discussion. I assume since these are rare in the U.S., and mine is in excellent condition, it may be of interest to someone that really likes the classical look. Attached are some photos. I also have more photos and a video if anyone is interested in other views. These photos were taken in March, before I put on the hard top and imported it to the U.S.
20200313_082015.jpg
20200313_082028.jpg
20200313_082138.jpg
20200313_082358.jpg

20200313_082324.jpg

That‘s a really cool set up.
Folks are going to want to see an asking price.
Good luck with sale!!
Thanks. I just added some photos of how it looks now that I have redone the interior and added the hard top.

Since I am new to this, not sure what it is worth. I guess I should have done more homework first so I could figure out what to ask, but in the research I did, I haven't found any for sale that were OEM in this good of condition and included the bows. I'll have to put more thought into this.

I’ve only seen a couple set ups like this for sale but never this nice, so agree it’s rare and hard to price.
My guess would be between $3500 to $4000.

hopefully others will chime in

To confirm what's included:

All bows and attachment hardware to tub.
Front door framing parts and attachment hardware.
Rear door framing parts and attachment hardware.
Rear door upper and lower portion. Both metal frame and canvas.
Windshield channel and attachment hardware.
Any additional straps and hardware needed for install.

Anything I'm missing or that is not included in sale?

Great set up. I have one similar, but your soft top is nicer. 4k seems like a reasonable price
Good luck with the sale. Oh and welcome to MUD!

4K if all OEM is a very good price.

It looks like your rear bow is aftermarket, and also your top, despite the “teq” stamp in the vinyl. Can you also confirm what the top is made of, and where the materials were sourced?

my honest two cents isthat you will only get $3-4k for it all if you find a buyer that has the same color truck. I think $2-2,500 is the best you’ll do.

It looks like your rear bow is aftermarket, and also your top, despite the “teq” stamp in the vinyl. Can you also confirm what the top is made of, and where the materials were sourced?

my honest two cents isthat you will only get $3-4k for it all if you find a buyer that has the same color truck. I think $2-2,500 is the best you’ll do.

I’m curious what it is about the rear bow that indicates aftermarket to you? Not disputing the assertion, just wondering.

To the PO, GLWS, nice piece of kit you are selling. Should generate lots of interest.

I’m curious what it is about the rear bow that indicates aftermarket to you? Not disputing the assertion, just wondering.

To the PO, GLWS, nice piece of kit you are selling. Should generate lots of interest.
It’s possible it is just the photo angle, but Tto me it looks to be flat on top. Or at the very least, much less curved than the others, and also much less the OEM bows do. Replica bows virtually never have a curve in them (helps with water run off & prevents pooling). Bows that have been repaired by welding anew cross bar, rarely have the curve in them either. As a reference go look at real steel’s page. It is usually an instant giveaway for replica bows. Again in this case, it could be the photo angle, but that’s what it looks like to me.

best
Abe

It’s possible it is just the photo angle, but Tto me it looks to be flat on top. Or at the very least, much less curved than the others, and also much less the OEM bows do. Replica bows virtually never have a curve in them (helps with water run off & prevents pooling). Bows that have been repaired by welding anew cross bar, rarely have the curve in them either. As a reference go look at real steel’s page. It is usually an instant giveaway for replica bows. Again in this case, it could be the photo angle, but that’s what it looks like to me.

best
Abe

Looking at it on my computer (bigger screen) I could be wrong on that. It could be OEM, and just a little flattened on one side, which does happen from time to time!

New aftermarket unpainted parts (bows and top) are $2500+. They don't come with the rear doors either (lower part and frames) Why would this sell for less than that?

I have an original set of FST bows from a 65 and I know there were slight differences in the design over the years.

New aftermarket unpainted parts (bows and top) are $2500+. They don't come with the rear doors either (lower part and frames) Why would this sell for less than that?

So this is my thinking/opinion on it, so people are free to take it or leave it obviously. Bow/top combos don’t mostly sell for $2,500+. Yes, if you are talking real steel plus what’s it’s name (used to be Marshall’s but can’t think of the name now off hand). But you can buy a complete soft amby combo with new top for $2,500 as a combo. As to this offer, for starters, the bows are only painted for someone looking for this exact color & level of patina. Otherwise they need to be painted, etc.... likewise, the top is only an asset for someone looking for this shade of white bow, with a tan top. It will be almost impossible to re mount the door skins if removed, so you can’t simply take them off & paint then remount, nor can you sell to someone else to recoup some costs if you want a black top. The market for this exact combo is small. Then, you are ultimately buying a used top. It looks to be in nice condition, but it is used, and what’s more it is used & of unknown provenance. If it is local market zippers, hardware, etc... they will likely need replacement at some point. So people are going to look for a price adjustment for these things. Although I’m not holding inventory now, when I am up & running, I sell this exact combo with OEM bows/doors & my colorado made, super premium top for $2,800. And it takes me forever to sell more than just a couple. The market is just not super large, and although this set looks sweet, it is only an asset to an even smaller group of people. Knowing the limitations, I just don’t see $3-4k as a realistic value. Again, that is literally just one guy’s opinion, and I’ve underpriced things on lots of occasions, so take it with a grain of salt. I hope they sell for a fortune! It’s better for all of us in the parts hobby!

As Abe mentioned... This is a pretty specific setup... I think someone interested will be looking for a period correct setup which was extremely rare, if not ever imported to the US for this year (I think FST was done by 1975 in the us?) That being said I think the price of $2500 is realistic due to competition for similar style tops with modern and new materials, and upgraded fit and design...

To be clear, this is awesome, but you have a very small target audience so pricing will be based on what people will pay, not on what it is "worth". I think it's worth $4000 due to rarity and condition of full OEM, but I sadly don't think anyone will pull the trigger for that price...

I even was toying with making a offer on this setup until I thought about how I want to use a soft top. Taking down the rear doors looks a lot harder than the roll up versions that are being made nowadays.

This is just chatter from the peanut gallery... If your not in a rush, hold out for the right money and someone may decide they really need this. With all the newfound interest in investor restorations (that's what I call them to differentiate from the enthusiast resto) of 40s, there may be that buyer out there now more than ever. Either way, GLWS!

As Abe mentioned... This is a pretty specific setup... I think someone interested will be looking for a period correct setup which was extremely rare, if not ever imported to the US for this year (I think FST was done by 1975 in the us?) That being said I think the price of $2500 is realistic due to competition for similar style tops with modern and new materials, and upgraded fit and design...

To be clear, this is awesome, but you have a very small target audience so pricing will be based on what people will pay, not on what it is "worth". I think it's worth $4000 due to rarity and condition of full OEM, but I sadly don't think anyone will pull the trigger for that price...

I even was toying with making a offer on this setup until I thought about how I want to use a soft top. Taking down the rear doors looks a lot harder than the roll up versions that are being made nowadays.

This is just chatter from the peanut gallery... If your not in a rush, hold out for the right money and someone may decide they really need this. With all the newfound interest in investor restorations (that's what I call them to differentiate from the enthusiast resto) of 40s, there may be that buyer out there now more than ever. Either way, GLWS!
Thanks for all the great comments. This is an interesting discussion. I am not in any hurry to sell this and would be happy if I ended up hanging on to it.

To confirm what's included:

All bows and attachment hardware to tub.
Front door framing parts and attachment hardware.
Rear door framing parts and attachment hardware.
Rear door upper and lower portion. Both metal frame and canvas.
Windshield channel and attachment hardware.
Any additional straps and hardware needed for install.

Anything I'm missing or that is not included in sale?
I don't know the names of all the things, but I can unpack the boxes and take photos of the items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom