Northern Illinois FJ40 Left for Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I having been restoring the smaller parts in my basement this winter while the major restore is going on in the barn. Had to share how the steering column turged out. I'm blown away by the results!!

20170217_171712.jpg

20170217_171230.jpg

Details on steering wheel restoration?

Looks killer!!

My wheel did not have any cracks but it did have a lot of scratches. I used 250 grit sand paper to even it out, then went to 800 grit to smooth it out even more. Then I cleaned it with very good and sprayed the gloss black twice. It didn't look very good at that point, but after hitting it with the clear it looked amazing.

20170218_073640.jpg

Wondering how hard it will be to dig up one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyone out there have one in good condition. TNX for letting me know.

I ordered a set of FJ 45 LPB rear fenders they are done however I have waited awhile for the container to fill up. As far as the quality the pics look good will see when I get them. It has bee 3+ months waiting, if they are a good quality it will be worth the wait as no one is reproducing these parts Still more shipping from the east coast to west about another week or so. will keep you guys posted on updates and total cost with shipping.

Skip, Thanks for being so patient I know you will be happy with the fenders. Container leaves for the US this coming week.

Wondering how hard it will be to dig up one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyone out there have one in good condition. TNX for letting me know.

I may have one for you. Ping me if your interested.

More progress today! I was able to get the front bib patch welded in place, after sandblasting and a little filler it will be prefect. I was also able to get the cowl and new rear tub back on the frame for the first time in about 10 months! This is just a mock up to see how everything fits. Very happy with the rear tub from Land Cruiser Heaven.

20170219_080408_resized.jpg

20170219_100046_resized.jpg

20170219_100109_resized.jpg

20170219_104452_resized.jpg

Skip, Thanks for being so patient I know you will be happy with the fenders. Container leaves for the US this coming week.

I may have one for you. Ping me if your interested.
Frank
Would love to see what you have, looking for a unite that is in good shape and has the key for the ignition lock, picks would be good.
PM me with the details.
Best

I worked on patching some spots on the fenders over the past week. I'm very happy with the results. For anyone who is grinding on welds, knock the weld down a bit with the grinding wheel, then get yourself a 40 grit flap wheel for your angle grinder and finish the grinding with this tool. Super easy to use leaves a great finished product.

20170226_070119_resized_1.jpg

20170226_073052_resized_1.jpg

20170305_085713_resized_1.jpg

20170305_085716_resized_1.jpg

Nice work there on the bib and fenders! Love to see them saved.:clap:

I having been restoring the smaller parts in my basement this winter while the major restore is going on in the barn. Had to share how the steering column turged out. I'm blown away by the results!!

View attachment 1403841

View attachment 1403842
Did you spray the center pad /horn button also? Was your wheel and column cover black? Mine seems to be a dark gray. Maybe mine is just faded. Nice work

fantastic find and progress on it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom