Northern Illinois FJ40 Left for Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for your help. The calipers are brand new so they definitely don't have any road salt in them. I bleed brakes on numerous cars and never had an issue like this. While holding pressure the brakes bleed perfect. The pedal even feels good, but have no movement on the pistons.

Thanks for your help. The calipers are brand new so they definitely don't have any road salt in them. I bleed brakes on numerous cars and never had an issue like this. While holding pressure the brakes bleed perfect. The pedal even feels good, but have no movement on the pistons.
How old is the master?

It's probably very old. I took it all apart and cleaned it and it seem to be working fine so I decided to use it. It's the only part that I have not replaced in the system. I've ordered a new one this morning but won't have it for another week. What I don't understand is that it seems to be doing its job correctly when the pedal is pressed when bleeding the line. The brake booster is brand new but I have not adjusted it. Any advice on that?

It's probably very old. I took it all apart and cleaned it and it seem to be working fine so I decided to use it. It's the only part that I have not replaced in the system. I've ordered a new one this morning but won't have it for another week. What I don't understand is that it seems to be doing its job correctly when the pedal is pressed when bleeding the line. The brake booster is brand new but I have not adjusted it. Any advice on that?
Did you bench bleed the master b4 bleeding the calipers? When you bleed the brakes does fluid come shooting out of the bleeders? It should really squirt a few feet with someone pushing the pedal. With all bleeders closed pump the pedal 4 times and then hold the pedal hard and see if it sinks slowly. As far as adjustment in the master and booster as long as you have them set to factory spec you should be fine.

[QUOTE="The brake booster is brand new but I have not adjusted it. Any advice on that?[/QUOTE]

That's an important step, as it's a very fine adjustment and needs to be done in a precise way. Check out this video to learn about brake boosters and how to adjust. The adjustment portion starts at the 30 minute mark.

Last edited:
Thank you to all! I've ordered a new master cylinder, when it comes in I will make the adjustments to the push rod. It appears that I will need about 1/2mm gap between the push rod and the piston in the master cylinder at the resting position. I will also do a bench bleed of the master cylinder prior to install. Thanks again. I will let you know how it works out.

Over the labor day weekend I didn't get much work done, but I did put together the windshield, wiper linkage, and motor. I used the rope trick and it was so easy my daughter even helped me!

20170902_135210_resized.jpg

20170902_141227_resized.jpg

Did you bench bleed the master b4 bleeding the calipers? When you bleed the brakes does fluid come shooting out of the bleeders? It should really squirt a few feet with someone pushing the pedal. With all bleeders closed pump the pedal 4 times and then hold the pedal hard and see if it sinks slowly. As far as adjustment in the master and booster as long as you have them set to factory spec you should be fine.
I wanted to get back to you to let you know what I ended up finding on this. In the below picture I ended up taking out this screw to bench bleed the master cylinder. Little did I realize that this does much more than I expected. After putting the screw back in, the placement of the cylinder inside was out of place not allowing the brakes to work properly. Once I got the cylinder back in place the brakes worked properly again.

MASTER CYLINDER.jpg

Progress is moving along on my FJ40 project. I was able to get all of the brakes working well now. Over the weekend I installed the windshield, roll cage, temp gauge, and engine dress kit for the 350. I also got the fluid changed in both axles, the transmission, and transfer case. This week I will be working on installing the front fenders, and front bib. I ordered a bench seat to install in the back to keep the kids safer. If anyone is looking for some short jump seat I'm looking to sell (PM me).

20170924_102702_resized.jpg

New job on your 40, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Over the last 6 weeks I've been chasing wiring problems and dialing everything in. I still have to replace the clutch master cylinder and get some better valve cover gaskets. Otherwise I am very happy with how this has come together. I've selected an exhaust shop that will be installing the exhaust as long as the snow holds off.

20171130_173931.jpg

20171130_173905.jpg

20171130_173844.jpg

20171130_173452.jpg

I paid someone to weld in some door bottom patch panels for me. He lapped welded the damn things.:bang: Now i need to start over.........with someone else that can actually do it correctly.

Im interested in your rear bench install. What seat are you going with? I want one but also want to have 3 point belts on them for when my girls are bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom