Noob question, 4WD badge on wrong side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the market for an 80 Series and came across one that has potential, a 96. The guy is the 2nd owner, and has had it for the last 18 years. He says that the 4WD badge was on the passenger side when he bought it. I know they are suppose to be on the driver side though. Did Toyota ever botch the placement, or was this repainted? I zoomed in on the picture he sent but it looks like there is some oxidation on the paint, so it does look old to me....but that doesn't mean it wasn't repainted 20 years ago. He did say the rear fender flare was redone due to scraping it on a camping trip. But my question is regarding the badge.

Thoughts.

Its on the wrong side. I've never seen a badge on that side, Toyota would not have botched this. Is your concern that the truck was repainted? At 18 years is this really a concern if the paint is in good condition?

It's ridiculous that he would try to sell that truck with badge on the wrong side. What's his number - I want to call and give him a piece of my mind.;)

Thanks. It's not a huge concern at all but I was just wondering.

Every time you try to turn left it will go right and eventually you will hit a tree. Take it off and move it to the left side!

Mine does not have one at all. You got lucky.

It's part of TNGA, right @Golgo13 ?

I think they positioned that badge to remind drivers on which side of the road you drive on. This was clearly an import from england or japan...:grinpimp:

If the truck has been repainted what does that say of the quality of paint work if they can't get the emblem in the right place. Assuming it was in the right place to start.

Don't take it personally @beedee some days we're just dicks.

If you're looking for perfection, you won't find one.

Maintenance is a bigger deal and something NOT in the rust belt.

Here's a pic of where the bages are supposed to go. In 1997 the Toyota emblem is in the middle. Us land cruiser folk can be a bit OCD

IMG_2791.JPG

Here's a pic of where the bages are supposed to go. In 1997 the Toyota emblem is in the middle. Us land cruiser folk can be a bit OCD

View attachment 1441457
Ya wanna know something else? The Sombrero Badge moved from the left side to the CENTER in mid-97. So, the one @ToothDr is showing MUST be wrong.........

Loving the replies! I certainly can appreciate the ribbing some of you guys dish out. I know it's only aesthetic, so not a huge deal. As a graphic designer I am OCD about logo placements and crap...it's silly. But again, I know the mechanical integrity is everything.

I'm planning to go check it out in a couple hours. :)

I was driving behind an 80 with the toyota emblem on the passenger side and it drove me absolutely nuts.. I thought about it all day. I wonder if this is a condition listed in the DSM-5?

At least it has something on the back doors. Mine has nothing at all. Never hit a tree yet though.
When it was repainted in Japan I think they just threw the badges away.

Loving the replies! I certainly can appreciate the ribbing some of you guys dish out. I know it's only aesthetic, so not a huge deal. As a graphic designer I am OCD about logo placements and crap...it's silly. But again, I know the mechanical integrity is everything.

I'm planning to go check it out in a couple hours. :)
Glad to hear it's not p***ing you off, it's been all in good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom