Newbie- FJ40 stalls only when I floor it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check to see that you have gas in the float bowl...

The gas is about 1/2 way down where it should be as judged by the window.

TKH

I would 1st check to see that the plunger is fully depressed when the pedal is fully depressed. (Could be linkage issue as suggested) If so, check for blockage from plunger area to carb throat or from bowl to plunger. Check plunger was not damaged on install. If you see no gas shooting into carb throat, this is your issue and not too many reasons to cause it...Brian

Thanks Brian, I'll check this stuff.

TK Hughes

Sounds like your float may be set improperly.

You can drain all the fuel in the bowl before it can refill, if the level is too low.

Rocky

Does it buck and spit back through the carb when you floor it and it starts to "stall"?

When it stalls, shut the engine off and pull over and stop and then check the fuel level in the bowl. If it is empty, you may have rust or dirt in your fuel tank.

If the bowl is still half way full when it stalls and it is bucking and spitting, I would suspect that your secondary fuel circuit is plugged and is not delivering fuel when the secondary opens. Time for a carb rebuild.

No it doesn't buck or spit. If I floor it, it just doesn't accelerate. It still runs but no increase in speed. I took the top of the carb off again and checked the accelerator pump flow which appeared fine. If I slowly accelerate it gets up to speed okay. Could there be a vacuum problem either with the hoses or in the vacuum advance unit on the distributer?

TK Hughes

No it doesn't buck or spit. If I floor it, it just doesn't accelerate. It still runs but no increase in speed. I took the top of the carb off again and checked the accelerator pump flow which appeared fine. If I slowly accelerate it gets up to speed okay. Could there be a vacuum problem either with the hoses or in the vacuum advance unit on the distributer?

TK Hughes

It doesn't do ANYTHING ?? No cough, buck, spit, backfire etc. ? Besides 'no increase in speed', what does it do ? Would it just die, where you would have to pull off the road ?

John

It doesn't do ANYTHING ?? No cough, buck, spit, backfire etc. ? Besides 'no increase in speed', what does it do ? Would it just die, where you would have to pull off the road ?

Hello John- it just does not accelerate. If I pull off of the road it would still idle. It sort of recovers if I put in the clutch, and rev it up ("blow it out") and I keep on driving. Nitroid13's suggestion is sounding better as I am really getting too familiar with taking the carb apart!! But, I still enjoy the challenge.......go figure!

TKH

One other question! Could I have intsalled a vacuum retard instead of a vacuum advance dizzy? If I suck on the vacuum tube from the dizzy, the plate moves clockwise. I would assume this indcates an advance system, yes???

TK Hughes

Despite the lack of fuel squirting when manually operating the linkage, try replacing your fuel filter with a clear one and start watching the rust particles acumilate. This cured my high speed problems. Purolator makes a couple that are quite inexpensive and readily available.
Or buy a new OEM filter. What the *, it's a cheap fix if that is the problem.:cool:

Turbo- did that at the beginning!

TKH

Someone above suggested shutting the engine off immediately when the problem occurs. Try that. Make sure there is still gas in the carb. But you have to stop the motor/electrical

Ditto on the clear filter.

Even try blowing back into the tank. there is a screen in the tank that could be clogged.

The other possibility -- Have you recently replaced the gas cap? Is it vented or non? Non vented will also cause problems

Taint nothing like a nice clean properly adjusted carb. It's a beautiful thing.

Take her off, soak her, explore all of her nooks and cranies. :cool:

While you are stripping her, take a little time to get to know her. Never force anything... could be a little painful. Tiney bit of moly on the linkage peices for a little lube-ation. oooh.

Carb rebuilds... It's a beautiful thing.

Then replace your fuel filter. Drain the gas from your tank. It may be full of rust and crud. If it is, clean it out and seal it up.

May i bump this thread?? It's better to reuse than start another thread.

I seem to be having the same problem. Mine is a 1981 non-US carb in a 2F engine. When I accelerate the vehicle wants to die than catches up after I have been going a distance. The float level is low and i believe the engine is starving for fuel than getting the full flow. I put in a new fuel pump on last week and encountered this problem a day later. I played with the acceleration pump (the arm attached to the black booted pump on top it seems to run normal for a day.

What can I do to make the carb 'tinker free'?

After reading this i'm wondering if I can I drain the bowl and let it self adjust?

Should I consider a rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

maybe I am mistaken, but my understanding is that there is no carb that is "tinker free" :doh:

x2 on dirt in the fuel filter

Vacuums lines are all checked & the fuel filter was changed with the fuel Pump.

The problem seems to be more of the fuel level in the bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom