Newbie doing knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi just dropped some money at cruiser teq bought a knuckle rebuild kit and going to attempt this in the following weeks. I have read multiple threads and watched Otramms video and think I can handle it any tips or unforeseen problems would be great info. Thanks for the help in advance.

Follow the Otramm video and you’ll be good man.
Oh and lots of gloves and paper towels.

Get lots of paper shop towels, a box of nitrile/latex gloves and something to clean your parts in. A bucket of diesel works if you dont have a parts cleaner.

Otramms video and the FAQ link together are great.
Glad to see the truck getting some baseline love. The front has been quasi rebuilt but part of left and then part of right..... never all at one time.

disposable clothes might be nice depending on your work environment lol.

Use caution sliding axle back in so as not to tear the new seal.

and use OEM seals, not the marlin style as they don’t last as long in AWD applications. Not sure if cruiser teq kit and what it comes with.

mid it needs rotors, now is the time.

never mind the fish scale and tighten inner nut to 25ft lbs and lock down the outer to 47 after tightening and loosening a few times to seat the bearing.

Cardboard box to put beneath when you open it up and all the goo pours out! Or a drip pan works just as well.
Brass hammer or large brass drift for striking end of studs to loosen the cones.
It’s not s difficult job just really really dirty!

Yes...use OEM axle seals. I messed up one and had to get another...I would get 4. I found the Wits End seal driver made it easier.
Brass drifts are useful for driving bearing races and loosening cone washers (tapping the stud end worked best for me).

Follow the Otramm video and you’ll be good man.
Oh and lots of gloves and paper towels.
Glad to see the truck getting some baseline love. The front has been quasi rebuilt but part of left and then part of right..... never all at one time.

and use OEM seals, not the marlin style as they don’t last as long in AWD applications. Not sure if cruiser teq kit and what it comes with.

never mind the fish scale and tighten inner nut to 25ft lbs and lock down the outer to 47 after tightening and loosening a few times to seat the bearing.
[/QUOTE
Do the TRE’s at the same time if they are old.
I ordered new bearings also.

Cruiser outfitters in Utah, there website comes up as cruiser teq on my billing statement, thanks for the heads up on the marlin seals. Was this your brothers truck? Thanks

Have an extra inner axle seal or two. You’re bound to screw one up the first time installing

I like the cheap Harbor Freight seal installation tool.

And if your running large tires consider some upgrades like ARP hub and knuckle studs. And this 80 Series Nut Hugger- Toyota Solid Axle Knuckle

And now would be the time to do the front brakes if they need it.

Last edited:
If you replace everything on the rig just because it is old, you would replace everything. I only replace parts as needed or it at the end of their service life. But that is just me.
They are cheap and you have to touch them anyway if your busting the knuckles open. Obviously left up to the owner if he wants to replace them or not.

By old I meant worn out.

They are cheap and you have to touch them anyway if your busting the knuckles open. Obviously left up to the owner if he wants to replace them or not.

By old I meant worn out.
I agree. Replace worn out parts. ;)

If you replace everything on the rig just because it is old, you would replace everything. I only replace parts as needed or it at the end of their service life. But that is just me.
Think you need a little bit of both. Replacing an alternator or a fuel pump just because its old is IMO a good idea in many cases. Many things do not fall into this category though.

Was this your brothers truck? Thanks

Ah my cruiser clairvoyance is busted huh?
yeah. That was his. Been a great truck for his family and encouraged him to fix it up for his younger daughter. Glad to see it’s getting a second lease on life and looks like will be allowed to play as intended.

Cruiserteq.com is just Kurts new modernized website that he is moving product listings over to..still the same awesome Cruiser Outfitters operation. The seals in their kits are very good.

Depending on your mileage you might want a offset seal driver from @NLXTACY my truck is sitting at 300K and this tool has allowed me to keep my stock axles, I have a sizable groove where the seal used to sit

Depending on your mileage you might want a offset seal driver from @NLXTACY my truck is sitting at 300K and this tool has allowed me to keep my stock axles, I have a sizable groove where the seal used to sit
I actually ordered that tool today once I get everything I’ll be tackling this with pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom