New Mexico Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finished up my current project, a cabin air filter.

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

What really got me thinking about this was last year's July trip to Austin, TX to visit my brother. Along the way, the a/c stopped blowing cold. I couldn't figure out why it just quit working all of a sudden. Later, after stopping for gas and a bite to eat, we headed back on the road and noticed the a/c was blowing cold again. I made a sharp turn and my wife said water just sloshed out from somewhere and got her feet all wet. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Once we made it to Austin, I got under the a/c unit and pulled the condenser hose loose and noticed the line was filled with mud. It turned out that the pan under the coil was clogged with mud and the water from condensation was backing up and freezing up the coil. All the dust from the dirt roads had been accumulating on the coil and eventually clogging the system. Once the condensation line was cleared, everything started working like it should.

This is a pretty simple setup. I bent up some light gauge metal to use as a housing to hold the filter and for now just siliconed it in place.

A couple of pics: (your welcome Dustin);)

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

Agreed. I just wish it would have stayed hidden for a bit longer.
I see the appeal now to just rhino line the whole exterior and not worry about it.
That’s fairly easy fixing compared to other places, I’m just not understanding how that’s going on after all the work you did. Where is the moisture getting in?

Did you not split the halves when you painted?
Yes, I primed and painted them separately. The lower fenders were NOS like what Bob has. The uppers were off an older rig and had rust on them. At the time I thought I got all the rust off and prepped them right prior to paint. I guess I wasn't thorough enough. :meh:

You take it out playing in the snow, eh? I think that is how the water is getting in.
The design and manufacturing on these was so far behind how they seal up a "modern" car.
It's almost like the Pigs were jinxed from the very beginning...
:-(

I finished up my current project, a cabin air filter.

View attachment 2379573

View attachment 2379555
What really got me thinking about this was last year's July trip to Austin, TX to visit my brother. Along the way, the a/c stopped blowing cold. I couldn't figure out why it just quit working all of a sudden. Later, after stopping for gas and a bite to eat, we headed back on the road and noticed the a/c was blowing cold again. I made a sharp turn and my wife said water just sloshed out from somewhere and got her feet all wet. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Once we made it to Austin, I got under the a/c unit and pulled the condenser hose loose and noticed the line was filled with mud. It turned out that the pan under the coil was clogged with mud and the water from condensation was backing up and freezing up the coil. All the dust from the dirt roads had been accumulating on the coil and eventually clogging the system. Once the condensation line was cleared, everything started working like it should.

This is a pretty simple setup. I bent up some light gauge metal to use as a housing to hold the filter and for now just siliconed it in place.

A couple of pics: (your welcome Dustin);)

View attachment 2379566
View attachment 2379567
View attachment 2379568

That is so Pimp!
I am pretty sure the AC evaporator in my little Civic is clogged w/ hair from my last GSD. Pre-cabin filter days...

I deal with that all the time where I work. The dust combined with any condensation on the evaporator combine to form an impenetrable plaque, and it doesn’t take long either. The evaporators in the newer trucks we have that do have the cab filters still look new.

We just got back from the mountains around Silverton, CO, and apparently almost ran into Deo and family, @cruiserjunktion .
Beautiful country up there, but man was it crowded. ATV's and Can Ams of every shape and size were everywhere. Jeeps were aplenty as well. It always makes me appreciate my pig even more.

Pics for the demanding ones in the sty, you know who you are:

IMG-2267.JPG

IMG-2315.JPG

IMG-2305.JPG

IMG-2304.JPG

IMG-2327.JPG

We just got back from the mountains around Silverton, CO, and apparently almost ran into Deo and family, @cruiserjunktion .
Beautiful country up there, but man was it crowded. ATV's and Can Ams of every shape and size were everywhere. Jeeps were aplenty as well. It always makes me appreciate my pig even more.

Pics for the demanding ones in the sty, you know who you are:

View attachment 2390183
View attachment 2390184
View attachment 2390185
View attachment 2390186
View attachment 2390187

Yeah, that was us flashing the lights in the 4x4 van. As clean as the pig was, I should have know that was you. The trailer threw me off a bit.

We had a blast, it was good to see your shiny old pig running along 550. Until we meet again...
E5E4DDE4-F70E-4F9C-8F9D-FB6AAF604F85.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that was us flashing the lights in the 4x4 van. As clean as the pig was, I should have know that was you. The trailer through me off a bit.

We had a blast, it was good to see your shiny old pig running along 550. Until we meet again...View attachment 2390457
It was clean on the way up, but we managed to let it wallow in the mud and dust for a few days.
We bought the trailer a couple of years ago, and are just now starting to use it more. I obviously missed you guys as you went by.
Next time. :beer:

So, you put the two halves together first then did the final paint? My painter guy painted each halve and then put them together using what he called rope dope? It looks like caulk made in strips. I often wondered if we should done like yours. You can see my black caulk between the two pieces, but in the end it works fine.

Good job!

So, you put the two halves together first then did the final paint? My painter guy painted each halve and then put them together using what he called rope dope? It looks like caulk made in strips. I often wondered if we should done like yours. You can see my black caulk between the two pieces, but in the end it works fine.

Good job!
How was that seem done factory, mine has so much filler on it I can’t really tell...

Wow! Looks really, really nice. I'd like to know what's the best way to paint and put the fenders together. Sounds like you may have it figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom