New here...Is this worth buying? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I came across an FJ40 for sale and am very interested in getting into the FJ community. The seller knows very little about the vehicle at all and it has sat for about the past 3 years. It's for sale as is (no hardtop) but it does run and drive. I know pretty much nothing about these. Any info you have to offer on it would be greatly appreciated ie: year, does it seem original, max price I should pay, things of that nature. Thanks so much!

IMG_0206.PNG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

you don't know much about Landcruisers? this would be your first one? sat for 3 years? seller has no idea on the rig?

RUN,RUN,RUN away.

Is it in NY?

Doesn't look that bad. Does it have a title? What is the owner asking?

Yes, in NY. Owner says he paid $5k for it years ago and wants to get around that. He's the kind of guy who has a whole bunch of stuff laying around (too much money and not sure what to do with it deal) so I don't doubt that he just bought it and let it sit. Not sure on the title. I wanted to offer $3k/$4k unless that's too much? Also, any idea on the year? '78? Those are all the pictures I have.

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

It depends what you are wanting/looking in a cruiser. What year are wanting. Some of these may feel like driving a farm implement or at least that is what they tell me when they drive a diesel 45 I own.

Preferably I like the ones that have not been modified, painted or molested and are complete. All original basically. When you get them like this, you see the dents, rust, and whatever else. Parts are getting harder to find. The more original the better. If it's not complete and cannot locate a doner, the 40 will cost a fortune to put back together.

Now if are looking for something to play on the rocks.....and don't need a hard top....this might be a good candidate. However, that paint job still scares me. It's worth what you are willing to pay. If it were me I would stay away. I know it's not what you wanted to here. The only other thing I can add is test drive different year 40's and read a lot of posts with mods and without, also gearing. Good luck on your journey.

The last post you posted decided it for me. The answer would be...stay away. What are you wanting to do with it?

Those holes under the door didn't show up in the first pictures. It is going to take a lot of work to make things right. If you have a clean title and he doesn't try to rob you I say go with it knowing to make it a good ride is going to take a lot of work and $$$$$$$. If you are a decent wrencher and have a place to work and time I say go for it. In my opinion one of the first things I would do is dump that crappy small block conversion and start over. Not an installation most people would be proud of. I almost agree with 3 puppies about running, but I have seen worse finds that have been transformed into really nice rigs. Just remember the basics, time and $$$$$. :cheers:

It was looking a bit interesting until that last batch of pictures! Some individual with some red paint and "A LOT" of body filler had their way with it. You have to be honest with yourself.... It's showing you indicators where the shoddy bodywork is imploding. It wont take long for other areas to present themselves. I would also think the mechanical's "craftmanship" would follow suit. Also, someone claiming ignorance of it's past is another glaring RED flag!

A decent cruiser is a smart and fun investment, but I think you would be smarter to side step this one.

Kevin

BTW from the looks of the front drive shaft angle the engine is not correctly installed.

The more I look at it the more I say walk away.

As an fj40 it isn’t worth much. Everything has been modified. The value is up to you and in how much you like the idea of owning a project.

Lots of PO stuff to write about there. My first thought was the exhaust. With those header pipes running under the floor like that will keep the cab nice and toasty in the winter and a hell hole in the summer.
If you are a novice wanting to become a land cruiser owner then this is not the one for you.
I am pretty confident in my abilities but that looks like a lot of work so if I was looking to buy it I would offer a junkyard price of the V8 for the whole thing.

Basically, it is a mismatch of parts and years and aftermarket. (with NY rust and damage). I would offer 1000.00 and try to part it out. There may be enough to double your money to 2000.00.

Another alternative is to buy it and take images of aged truck and sell the photos. :)

Yeah I bet that tub is like swiss cheese based on the rocker holes. The wireing harness looks suspect. Lot’s of goofy stuff like the turn signal switch makes this a $1000 jalopy in my book.

If you want to buy it cheap to fart around with, make certain to closely inspect the frame.

Is this Simon? Tom here. I like JohnnyC’s opinion, that ‘68 would be a way better starting point.

Welcome to MUD, and best of luck moving forward with your endeavor.....I won't reiterate what the others have said concerning the FJ40 you posted, they covered most of it. But I will stay, look to post #14 for the better direction.

> Once again, see POST #14 above. <

Thanks so much for all of your input! Hey Tom! Yes it's me. I took your advice and figured I get some opinions on here. Believe it or not, the seller still has the FJ and is moving to FL soon that's why I figured that I would offer him $3k. After reading all of these though, I see it's not really even worth that. I'm just looking for a weekend ride for the summer. Thanks JohnnyC, I'm in the Buffalo area so might be kinda far from me. I'm thinking I may just steer clear of the one I posted. Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom