Builds New Build "TAYOTA" Father & Daughter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same thing happen to the paint with my past redu on my cruiser... Boy... So disheartening to see that crackle paint in spots when it happened... My wife said ... "People like the crackle paint look these days!" :rolleyes:

It didn't look all that great... But... Had it in the garage with the heat going and it smoothed out some... Went back over those spots and looks OK ... But it's my Dd and its NOT a show truck :)

You guys ... And gal :) are doing wonders to that truck... Look forward to seeing more of yours build :)

The morning I found the crackle paint sucked. I walked out thinking orange here we come and couldn't wait to put the front end together, but no such luck. I am not sure if the red oxide paint has changed but I used to build docks and that stuff used to be incredible. I have used it since but I am much more cautious and let it cure for days rather then hours. I have not sprayed anything stronger than spray paint over it and don't think I will take that risk again. Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

I really enjoyed reading this. I don't want to age myself by my dad and myself did a father and son rebuild on a jeep and a '57 chevy wagon starting 45 years ago. Best days of my life. Enjoy it and drag it out if possible cuz it will be done way to fast down the road.

Like I said, I am trying to find time each day to get something done. This week I worked on painting a few things as well as cleaning and painting the rear brake lights and fender lights. Purple cleaner works wonders. I scrubbed all the light assemblies and lenses, re wrapped the wiring where needed, and painted as needed too. The rear assemblies were very rusted on the exterior and bottoms of the interior. I used silver bumper paint in the inside of the assemblies to bring back some reflection and rust inhibitive primer topped with black rustoleum appliance paint. Both front and rear need new gaskets. The first picture shows only one of the front light assemblies cleaned, huge difference!
image-2617373155.jpg
image-6950157.jpg
image-1692896268.jpg
image-3527123458.jpg
image-3485662668.jpg

I also worked on the air filter housing which was very rusted. Someone had obviously sand blasted it, but sitting in the salt air did no favors. I wire wheeled it and sanded. Coated with more of the appliance paint. Pictures don't do the finished result justice, it came out great.
image-168566345.jpg
image-1775366823.jpg
image-610506483.jpg
image-25706029.jpg
image-3614555752.jpg

Looking good! I'm loving the progress! I always love seeing good paint work! My dad found an '82 Toyota pickup that we repainted while I was in high school, the whole family was out sanding & prepping. Now that I look back, I wish I picked a better color, but I love the experience & the memories!

Work has continued this week. More parts painted and it may be warm enough to continue with the orange this weekend, we are on a wait and see. In the past few days I have also cleaned up the main wiring harness which is in pretty good shape. I wiped all of it down with electrical parts cleaner and sprayed out each connector. I also took off any loose tape and re wrapped the entire harness.
image-2160891469.jpg
image-135126407.jpg
image-1980571034.jpg
image-2978212417.jpg
image-314041636.jpg

what a great project to do with your daughter, keep up the good work

Love this stuff, my boy doesn't have an interest but hopefully my daughter will in a few years! Can't wait to see the finished rig.

Today's BIG news is the Old Man Emu lift I ordered for my 80 should arrive, but I have no idea when I can get to that. It is on the list. I also fabbed up some brackets to put my con ferr rack on my 40s hardtop. Nice to get stuff done!

Can anyone help identify what these are and where they go. I have only worked on early style and don't recognize these. Might be painting this weekend and need to know which color. Thanks in advance
image-2934927451.jpg
image-640549868.jpg
image-1905213138.jpg

Some years were black, some were pewter. Don't know why but I went gray.
002.jpg

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what we will be doing for seats, so these brackets will be set aside for now.

in the garage, ended up being next to a friend's 60ish cruiser dubbed "Goldmember", not sure if I have any more pictures of that build which also continues to this day, but if you look close on the right of Tayota you can see the other build

LOL my build is not called Goldmember. It only had gold valve covers for a short time! Really glad some progress has been happening! Mine has been moving along this month too. I will have to up date my build thread, its been a long time. The race is on.

Corwin, you may not call it Goldmember, but the fact remains if anyone mentions Goldmember we all know what we are referring to! And those valve covers were priceless. Add a link on this thread to your build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom