New BFG KM3. Thoughts? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@wct49 what’s the skinny?

Not sure but they are not directional.
They are very heavy though and the compound is much different than the KM3. I am not surprised that a new set would give you some decrease in fuel economy and horsepower. The compound was designed for better traction which in turn will give the tire more rolling resistance.

My opinion its much improved over the KM2.

Can't find it but I read a post by Woody that said the KM3 was Non directional.

Can't find it but I read a post by Woody that said the KM3 was Non directional.

Yeah I looked this morning on the sidewall.

I looked on the BFG site and the sidewall swoop goes to the front in some pics and rear in some pics.

Must not matter.

D92BE073-FF45-4ABF-A758-4A092D4FDBF6.jpeg

Mine just got delivered yesterday.

Been running a set of 33x10.5x15s since August, have about 8k miles on them and have been pleased with the mud performance. I've been in stuff that would have stopped KOs. Highway noise is noticeable but not excessive and you can feel the rolling of the lugs at times. Haven't measured tread depth but the tires seem to be wearing well. Thanks to @wct49 for setting me up with the tires.

Have you had a chance to get them mounted yet? I am looking at the same size and curious what they actually measure out to.

no not yet. life has been busy, and i've been doing other random modifications and upgrades. soon though

I'm a little on the fence with these new KM3's for me.

Purchased a set of 315/75 16's for the 80 series a week or so ago. They replaced my BFG KM's of many years in the same size. I thought I was imagining things after install, but they didn't seem as tall as the KM's and the tread depth was less than the original KM's (18/32 v 20/32, I still have a brand new KM as a spare so I had a reference). Not sure if it was just tread appearance on the height and width or actual #'s, but according to some specs they are just a touch shorter than the original KM's and the KM2's. (34.6 vs 34.8).

They are a very smooth tire, I will say that. Granted my old KM's were a tad old (15 years), I am sure they were as crusty as I am.

My biggest complaint right now, which is actually pretty substantial for me, is their weight. Anyone with an non-geared 80 Series knows we need all the help we can get. I have always been "okay" with the KM's regarding power and feel. The new KM3's are significantly heavier (as they should be since they are a "E" rated tire versus the KM/KM2 "D" rated tires). I am seeing (depending on the spec sheet I find), they are anywhere from 7 to 9 lbs heavier per corner and boy do I feel it and to be frank, not really digging it. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far and I am pondering taking Discount Tire up on their "if you're not happy - bring em back" policy and seeing if they can get me the KM2's which I see are still floating around at a few places. It's kind of a shame, as I am sure the compound is a bit improved with the 3's over the 2's (at least so I think), they seemed to perform really well in a snow storm some days ago, but I am not sure I can deal with the extra weight/rotational mass hit of these E loads. I haven't needed to re-gear for 15 years, I'd rather not now.

My .02.

View attachment 1850981

View attachment 1850982
Are those tire diameters actual measurements you made or are they listed specs? Also what springs/lift do you have on your 80?
Nice looking truck by the way.

Hi folks,

I'm wondering about new set of tires; the vehicle is 4-door Suzuki Vitara (Sidekick), turbodiesel powered, ~120HP, 230 Nm (about 170 lbf.ft). I'm thinking about BFG KM3, I want tall and narrow tire but can't decide between 7.50r16 and 235/85r16...

Anyone knows exact, real life difference between those two? According to this site: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 Tires I can read that diameter of 7.50r16 is 31,8" which makes 654 revs/mile but unfortunatelly there's no such information for 235/85r16 size. Has anyone compared them side by side? Problem is that the vehicle itself is not the biggest one on the planet, such as it's mudguards, so every centimeter counts :)

Second thing - any experiences with KM3 7.50r16 on Your rigs so far? Which one is in Your opinion the way to go - 7.50r16 or 235/85?

Thank You in advance,
Frank
Poland

So just width difference there is..

I guess I'll take 7.50r16. My current 31x10,5r15 is an overkill considering the width of this tire, durability of zuki's hubs and driveshafts and engine power..

Thank You!

The width is about the same too. Of course they are different tread patterns but the KM3 has a more rounded sidewalll from the tread and the 235 KO2 is more square.

The 235/85-16 Yokohama MT-s are way bigger than the 750-16 KO3 and 235 KOs

BFG are great tires but they run small

Just got back from GSMTR and it was the first real "east coast wheeling" I've done since the KM3s were installed. They performed beautifully! The first day I didn't air down, running 35 psi. Second day I went down to 22psi just to smooth out the ride. I usually leave A-Trac on when I'm wheeling, but this time I left it off and those tires pulled me up some really fun stuff. Overall this weekend, I used A-Trac in two places and my front/rear locker once when recovering someone who lost 4wd.

This pic was going up the ass end of Walden's Ridge (Trail 75) at Windrock.
GSMTR19 (31).JPG

Been really happy w/ mine since mounting.

9.jpg

8.jpg

I wonder since these run small, running 35s may givr about 33.5 to 34?

I'm wondering the same thing. Im in the market to get some in the next month or so and wondering if I should get a set of 35's instead of the 33's I normally get. I've got a bj42 with a 2inch old man emu lift and I'm not sure whether or not they'd fit.
The 33 inch tyres sound a bit small from what everyone is saying. But I'd be shattered if I got 35's and they just didnt fit.

In reference to the 7.50R16...

View attachment 1732870 Ok... I couldn’t wait - they arrived quick and I mounted one up on a 6” wheel. The picture makes it look fatter than it is.
View attachment 1732864 View attachment 1732866
Next to a 235/85R16 also on a 16x6 wheel.

View attachment 1732867
Next to 33x10.50 on stock FJ62 wheel. (The AT is obviously loaded - but I think they would be pretty dang close in height both standing free).
View attachment 1732871

I might just have to go back to white wagon wheels on the ‘62! :grinpimp:

The first picture is mounted on a 6" wheel? Manufacturer and part number?

I bought some OEM Toyota clips with the screws and all from Venezuela for $150 shipped for 5 wheels.

So did you buy 16” non-splits from Canada and clips/ screws from Venezuela? How did you source the screws and clip? Sorry, having trouble following. Seems like you’re starting to get in the price range of the 16” Steelies from Japan. Plus they are now coming in gray.

So did you buy 16” non-splits from Canada and clips/ screws from Venezuela? How did you source the screws and clip? Sorry, having trouble following. Seems like you’re starting to get in the price range of the 16” Steelies from Japan. Plus they are now coming in gray.

My Venezuela parts guy is Oldpartscruiser on Instagram. His clips are OEM and way cheaper than the ones I’ve see elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom