New 60 Owner with questions and concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome, Dave is a good guy and he'll set you right.

Welcome. It might have already been mentioned but if you have reason to believe the front axle has never been serviced then I'd start planning your attack for it. Fix what's wrong now but don't excessively delay what may be needed.

So what happened? What's the verdict?

So what happened? What's the verdict?
Was finally able to get out to visit Dave and glean from his knowledge. Along with JohnVee's insight, it would seem I am not in a bad spot as far as my front end. Ironically, we found a complete set of missing engine mount bolts on one side, which may have been contributing to my sounds.

Thanks for all being a good bunch of guys.

Overrated, who needs mounts to hold in a 500+lb engine when your braking hard from 55mph! Yikes

Welcome to the madness! Glad the crew got u hooked up.

Not recommended but I did a hack to mask my shaking/studdering less apparent, slapped on an OME steering dampner. Helped the ride quality but not the minor squeeking likely due to old unserviced front end parts. Too many projects too little time.

Well $hit. I thought I was being a smart fella, and had all the fluids changed on my 60. All was well up until that point. My transmission shifted smoothly, and all gears worked seamlessly. Now though, there is a rattle out of my transmission when sitting parked at idle, and there is a noise in 4th gear, that is scaring me.

Sounds like there is a rebuild in my future. It still shifts well, no slipping, and no issues other than noises that should not be there.

So - given the wealth of professional knowledge out there - where is a good place in CLT for a reasonably priced rebuild? I don't really want to do a 5 speed swap, as I like the slow go of the 4 speed. I don't want to put a ton of money into this thing just yet, but do want it as a dependable driver. It has almost no rust, 215k on the clock, and only one leak at the rear main. 20w 50 means only one or two drips per week.

Any suggestions on a good solution that won't break the bank?

A rattle can be anything, John. Hell, there might just be a loose coin somewhere. Crawl around looking for loose bolts down below and $$$ up inside. And loose bolts there, too.

Does the rattle go away at idle if you hold the shifter tightly forward or back? Does it do it in any gear, or just park? Don't forget about the transfer case lever. Those can make noise. Someone just recently posted up about their TC boot working loose and causing a rattling noise.

A rattle can be anything, John. Hell, there might just be a loose coin somewhere. Crawl around looking for loose bolts down below and $$$ up inside. And loose bolts there, too.

Does the rattle go away at idle if you hold the shifter tightly forward or back? Does it do it in any gear, or just park? Don't forget about the transfer case lever. Those can make noise. Someone just recently posted up about their TC boot working loose and causing a rattling noise.
Sadly it's a trans noise. Put a screwdriver against it to listen and it sounds like a handful of bolts in a metal can. Noise doesn't stop with moving shifter and it's sadly not linkage or anything. It's internal issues.

Well $hit. I thought I was being a smart fella, and had all the fluids changed on my 60. All was well up until that point. My transmission shifted smoothly, and all gears worked seamlessly. Now though, there is a rattle out of my transmission when sitting parked at idle, and there is a noise in 4th gear, that is scaring me.

Sounds like there is a rebuild in my future. It still shifts well, no slipping, and no issues other than noises that should not be there.

So - given the wealth of professional knowledge out there - where is a good place in CLT for a reasonably priced rebuild? I don't really want to do a 5 speed swap, as I like the slow go of the 4 speed. I don't want to put a ton of money into this thing just yet, but do want it as a dependable driver. It has almost no rust, 215k on the clock, and only one leak at the rear main. 20w 50 means only one or two drips per week.

Any suggestions on a good solution that won't break the bank?

What weight tranny fluid you put in?

75/90 is fine. Check the transfer case shifter. The linkage to that can make a ton of noise. There are some nylon bushings in that linkage that wear out or get misplaced. If you can move the 4wd shifter and change the pitch or frequency of the noise you are hearing then you've found your problem. These old H42 four speeds are typically bulletproof. Usually the transfer case wears out a half million miles before the trans itself. Don't worry too much just yet. Bring the truck to cars and coffee in the morning and we will look at it. I'll be there around 7-7:30 until.

75/90 is fine. Check the transfer case shifter. The linkage to that can make a ton of noise. There are some nylon bushings in that linkage that wear out or get misplaced. If you can move the 4wd shifter and change the pitch or frequency of the noise you are hearing then you've found your problem. These old H42 four speeds are typically bulletproof. Usually the transfer case wears out a half million miles before the trans itself. Don't worry too much just yet. Bring the truck to cars and coffee in the morning and we will look at it. I'll be there around 7-7:30 until.

Agree all around. Dave "nailed it again" Rushing nailed it again.

Only one thing to add ..... You said someone else did this for you. Did they do both tranny and TC? There is that tiny 1% chance they filled one reservoir but did not fill the other. THAT is worth climbing under and checking. Pull the two fill plugs to be sure they are topped off .... then drive in peace.

I will check levels today. That's a good point. I drove it to Atlanta since service so I can only expect there is some fluid in there... at speed under heavy load in 4th it is fine. Light throttle load I get vibration until no load or increased load again.

I have a h42 tranny that came off of a 87 from one of the guys here in the club.

If the noise is idle it could be the clutch and no the transmission.
H&H in south blvd is a good guy if you are looking for a shop.

He works a lot on these trucks and he has been reasonable with what he charges for his work.

If you made it to Atlanta and back I doubt you have a "no fluid" problem.

Was noise present immediately after service?

Roxx is right ... Can be clutch or throwout bearing, and even clutch fork. Does rattle stop as soon as clutch is engaged? Is the spring holding the TO bearing off the pressure plate in place?

Way too soon to think rebuild.

I looked at John's truck. I think he's okay. Possibly a noisy throw out bearing. Definitely has an exhaust rattle that probably manifested from the displaced engine mount he had and has subsequently fixed. I advised him to pull both fill plugs on the trans and xfer case to check the levels. Everything looked good to me and sounded fine. We couldn't really reproduce the noise he had been hearing but we're hoping the loose exhaust clamp had everything to do with it.

Once again, appreciate the base of knowledge. Used to driving $90k new cars. Big change.

Dave is awesome.

In a world full of problems; "My vintage collector's 4x4 is not as smooth as my luxury sedan." is a pretty good one to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom