New 60 Owner with questions and concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought an '85 and fear I am into needs, up to my neck.

While driving recently, I heard a 'rattle' from the front end that sounded like wheel bearings. I raised the front end, and was able to wiggle the wheel by grabbing top and bottom.

Knowing that this play is not normal, I suspect this is the sound I am hearing.

Truck has 215k and I am second owner. PO said he never did axle work on truck.

So - does this sound like just bearings?

Is there a local shop in Charlotte that can do this work?

What have I gotten myself into?

How much are you able to wiggle the wheel?

THIS. And with a little looseness there is a better than average chance all will be well after properly tightening things up. A :banana: job.

And by the way; Welcome!

THIS. And with a little looseness there is a better than average chance all will be well after properly tightening things up. A :banana: job.

And by the way; Welcome!
Thank you, sir. Now to find out the rating...

Maybe 1/8" - 3/16" total each way, top/bottom. Left/right wiggle is fairly tight.

Up and down with no left right may be pointing away from wheel bearing (still, very easy to check) and instead indicate trunion bearings.

Yes, welcome!

Alright, 1/8-3/16" is excessive, but the source of the problem depends on what's wiggling. It may be the wheel bearings but it may also be the trunion (knuckle) bearings. If you put the truck up again then wiggle the wheel, does the wheel move independently of the knuckle or do the knuckle and wheel move together?

Yes, welcome!

Alright, 1/8-3/16" is excessive, but the source of the problem depends on what's wiggling. It may be the wheel bearings but it may also be the trunion (knuckle) bearings. If you put the truck up again then wiggle the wheel, does the wheel move independently of the knuckle or do the knuckle and wheel move together?
That I will check next time I get under her. Appreciate the insight.

No problem, check and report back. While you're at it, check the other side as well :)

Welcome to the MUDness!

Had the same problem on my 40, without the noise. Took it to the local Toyota dealer and they tightened up the wheel bearings, repacked everything and installed new TRE's. Only had a little movement but it was about the same on both sides. After the work, no problems.

Bring it by the house this weekend and I'll look at it with you. PM me for my address.

Wow. That is above and beyond. I may just take you up on that.
PIR, jump on it!, Dave is a walking encyclopedia of LC knowledge. And a great guy.

Which side? Driver or passenger?

You may ask, "Why is that a concern?" Well...on the driver's side the big nut that sets wheel bearing preload can have a tendency to loosen itself if the locking tabs are not bent over to hold it. The nut backs off and the bearings go all loosey goosey. On the passenger side it can still happen but less of an issue due to the direction of the wheel in forward motion which tends to tighten the nut, not loosen it.

Trunnion bolts do loosen as well. Bearings fail too. We'll figure out the problem one way or another.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom