A Zimbos Guide to building an FJ45... TAKE 2!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so, i had spent weeks researching this conversion and big thanks must go to @Romer for his My Mini-truck Power Steering Install thread. couldnt have done this with out that information. so, on the pump side, unfortunately, being in deepest darkest africa, buying the correct mounting bracket was out of the question. so we had to make one from scratch.

this involved a lot of in and out, placing the box in position, clamping, measuring, marking, checking, tacking, checking again, welding, checking again, grinding, rechecking, bolting in and bolting out and just in general a lot of to-ing and fro-ing.

but the end result came out rather well i think.
the welds and the gusset for strength...

20160915_154552.jpg

final product
20160915_155542.jpg

bracket installed...
20160915_155842.jpg

and box installed...
20160915_164021.jpg

had to take a little out of the battery tray to allow the extra length of the steering box. one great thing was that i was able to take the existing 40 pitman arm and bolt direct onto the new box. saved a bit of time there, and seeing as how i have recently reconned all my tie rods and steering linkage, saved some money too.

and one final pic of the whole set up...
20160915_174519.jpg

damn my engine looks ugly in this pic.... that is going to HAVE to be sorted out and soon... ;)

so, i had spent weeks researching this conversion and big thanks must go to @Romer for his My Mini-truck Power Steering Install thread. couldnt have done this with out that information. so, on the pump side, unfortunately, being in deepest darkest africa, buying the correct mounting bracket was out of the question. so we had to make one from scratch.

t

Nice to see I did something valuable 11 years ago that is still helpful to others. Looks like you are all setup now

Nice to see I did something valuable 11 years ago that is still helpful to others. Looks like you are all setup now

You know what they say, there's no experation date on experience ;) was seriously the best thread I found to help with what I needed to know, and I read a lot of them

update time.

so, loving the 45, power steering has made it a real joy to drive. and it is my DD. round trip of 35km every day to work and back. and that creates another problem, especially when the price of petrol here in Zim is US$1.35 a liter and im only getting 5kms/L.

something must be done.

dont get me wrong, i love the 2F. but shes very thirsty and i just cant afford to run it. so, i found this...

20161013_151008.jpg

20161013_151016.jpg

this should be fun... :D

got it back home last night.
20161018_071827.jpg

with the H55 gear box
20161018_071818.jpg

question here, what is that on the side of the gearbox? a PTO? but facing backwards???

so now it will be out with the 2F and in with the 12HT. so take one last look at the engine bay 2F

20161018_071948.jpg

let the fun begin

Yeah that's a pto. Have fun with that engine great to drive

Great thread Vossie!!

Your 'can do' attitude is refreshing!!

:cheers:

Thank you kindly :) 'can do' is in more supply than money so :p

Night 2 of 12HT install

So, have only been able to work on the engine swap at night after getting home from work. This is an update after night 2...

First thing was to make the engine bay more accessible
20161018_142055.jpg

Found this very scary thing about my 2F. Don't know how that happened as all 3 bolts went in fine with initial install...
20161018_142745.jpg

Both engines out on the ground (a lot of these pics were taken in the morning before I leave for work)
20161018_171933.jpg

Split the h42 from the 2F and then the t/case from the h42 as I needed to carry it over to the h55
20161018_191121.jpg

And here's where I hit a major snag. Turns out the h55 I have is from a Toyota coaster bus. No 4x4. That means the extension piece that should be there isn't. Also means the put put shaft for the h55 is too short so even if I had the extension I can't make this h55 a 4x4 box. Arrrggggghhhhhh
20161018_191130.jpg

Pic shows location of 5th gear and lack of extension to cover it.

So now the plan is to use the h42 with the 12HT until such a time as I can afford to get a h55. A real PITA but oh well. I need the 45 running ASAP . It is my dd after all

End of night 3.

Problems problems problems.

So, I was hopeful that the 12HT with its engine mounts would fit right in. Unfortunately that is not the case...

20161021_200427.jpg

This pic shows the difference of pitch between the current time 12HT mount and the 2F mount that came out of here.

Calling @watrob and anyone else who can chime in...

What mounts did you use to get your 12HT to fit the 40 series chassis?

At least I got here looking a bit better

20161021_200628.jpg

Let's hope I can find a solution to the engine mounts as quickly as possible.

You need 2h mounts from a hj47

update on the 12HT install... its been fighting me every step of the way. click here to laugh at my latest woes

Your wife approves of the 45 and all the work you are doing? Here in the States we call those rare wives "keepers".

Your wife approves of the 45 and all the work you are doing? Here in the States we call those rare wives "keepers".

she not only approves but wants one too!! but she insists it must be a short wheel base 45. they dont exist here so i would have to make one:grinpimp:

Sweet build, really enjoying the build ! a lot of people would have gotten the parts and took years to put together without just doing what you did and enjoy it ! good on ya ! you drive enjoy and find a diesel to drop into it !
Subscribed !

Sweet build, really enjoying the build ! a lot of people would have gotten the parts and took years to put together without just doing what you did and enjoy it ! good on ya ! you drive enjoy and find a diesel to drop into it !
Subscribed !
thanks for the kind words!

mine is more "for the love of a 45 and the lack of money build".

she not only approves but wants one too!! but she insists it must be a short wheel base 45. they dont exist here so i would have to make one:grinpimp:

Hello,

You are certainly lucky, both because of the 45 and because of your wife.

Keep up the good work.

Juan

As you've mentioned elsewhere, better here than 1000km from nowhere. It'll take time, but you'll get it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom