My new '79 FJ40 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not yet. I still need to replace the compressor and hook the evaporator, condensor & dryer back up. A previous owner unhooked all of it but the fan in the evaporator runs and I can change the speed.
That's my next spring project.

I haven't updated this thread in awhile so here goes.

Got a spare ND AC Evaporator, just in case the one that came with my 40 is shot. This one supposedly has been off an '81 & sealed up since the early 80's.
31DC7772-FB39-4B33-B875-A086C4C40A5E.jpeg

Got some new parts...

Thanks @ToyotaMatt

Changed the oil with a new Denso filter and new drain plug.

Also got a new voltage regulator along with hardware.

Doing an experiment with an oil mixture; 1 qt. Lucas Full Synthetic additive, 2 qts. Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic, 5 qts. Mobil 1 10W40 High mileage Full Synthetic, 1/2 a bottle of Lucas ZDDP additive.

Took a sample of my last oil to send off to Blackstone for a report. I'll do the same with this mixture. Figure it's around a 12W45 ish blend

So far the oil pressure reads a bit higher. It idles smoother and the engine is quieter than the Mobil 1 5W40 Diesel that was in there before.
B8DC1E14-0540-46E4-9011-A50076639230.jpeg
BBBE26FD-F142-4568-9C53-405B77899555.jpeg
ED3F837F-9C35-4E48-93E0-6D65D88EEEC5.jpeg
A8347407-AE25-47C2-9557-35FE831FF7D7.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks fantastic!!! What are the steps your are taking to make it look so good? Are you using a powered buffer or just good old elbow grease and sweat?
Thanks! Appreciate that.

This was all done by hand.

I just used the acetone onwaxing pads to remove the red primer. Actually cotton painter cloths work best as the primer clogs up the waxing pads very quickly. For the areas without primer, just a quick wipe down with an acetone soaked rag to remove the primer overspray.

Then the Griot's Compound, many, many times, followed by Griot's Polish followed by the Marine Polish.

Although after the time spent, I should probably get an orbital buffer.

Last edited:
Thanks! Appreciate that.

This was all done by hand.

I just used the acetone on on waxing pads to remove the red primer. Actually cotton painter cloths work best as the primer clogs up the waxing pads very quickly. For the areas without primer, just a quick wipe down with an acetone soaked rag to remove the primer overspray.

Then the Griot's Compound, many, many times, followed by Griot's Polish followed by the Marine Polish.

Although after the time spent, I should probably get an orbital buffer.
Well, the juice looks worth the squeeze! Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone have any info on this circular apron rubber bumper? I am missing one on the driver side.

I can't seem to find them on any parts schematics.

Figured they were just one more odd ball thing on an early '79 model.

The hole in front of the hood support oval cutout appears and feels factory in fit and finish. There are no rough edges to make it look or feel like it was a mod by a previous owner.
Thinking it might have only been on the factory ND AC equipped 40's as it has the rubber has the exact same consistency as the bib & rear apron rubber bumpers.

There is a different apron part number specific to 1/79-7/80 40's.
951E4DDC-1D9A-449C-A69B-07E2E93AE1B9.jpeg
EE7E9BE1-4F05-4CC3-BD1E-5E313BE48DDC.jpeg
9665023D-D4C9-417B-86D2-E8A295481815.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @fjc-man .

I guess if my apron part number theory was correct, you'd have those holes too
Yeah I'm guessing there was either some vibrating or misalignment that the PO tried doing that to correct the issue. I'd either weld it up if you can, or just find another rubber piece similar and stick it back in there.

Yeah I'm guessing there was either some vibrating or misalignment that the PO tried doing that to correct the issue. I'd either weld it up if you can, or just find another rubber piece similar and stick it back in there.
Found a loose hood hinge pin. This bumper keeps it from wiggling excessively. Guess I'll get some new hinges.

Found a loose hood hinge pin. This bumper keeps it from wiggling excessively. Guess I'll get some new hinges.

Door hinge bushings (either plastic or brass) also fit the hood hinges. A new hinge shouldn't be necessary.

Great info on this thread. I also have a 2/79. I do not have the second hole in the apron. No power steering, dealer installed Clardy A/C.
View attachment 3046554
Thanks! Your thread has got some great info too.
I can only presume that a PO put in the holes/rubber pads to make up for loose hood hinges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom