My new 1990 HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm only on about week 6 since she arrived and the brakes havent given me any trouble, so I have not had to work on them at all. But that's ok, because she's already doing a fine job of keeping me busy. :D

I think I sent you extra O rings for the AC system. They are orange o rings in a small bag. Then you will just need to get it evacuated and recharged. Hopefully the Alternator is working again. If you need a new O ring just get them from the dealer. They are the R12 version or you can switch them up for the green 134a o rings. Either way the dealer should stock them.

I'm only on about week 6 since she arrived and the brakes havent given me any trouble, so I have not had to work on them at all. But that's ok, because she's already doing a fine job of keeping me busy. :D

Thank you, will follow your posts closely. You have done more work in 6 weeks than I have done in a year. I have thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Thanks @RHDieselCruiser. I'm learning as i go, so i may not be the best person to follow ;)

Thanks @Crab Sack . i must've overlooked those o rings I'll take a look when i get home.

I took the alternator to an alternator shop to have it tested and they said it had a problem and on initial inspection thought it was the stator. They are taking a closer look today and will repair it and rebuild with a 120amp stator. Hoping they'll get it done by tomorrow. The initial estimate was $65-$90.

I'm also going to order a 150A Sequoia alternator and @photomans adapter so i'll have a spare since @mudgudgeon's suggestion of staying out of the mud is unlikely to happen. I'll swap when one goes bad and rebuild the bad one for my spares

Picked up the rebuilt alternator today. New bearings, new rectifier and new 120a stator for $83 after tax. Tested at 100amps. Installing it this afternoon (in 90 degree weather).

Well it's a christmas miracle. Alternator went back in the LC much easier than it came out. I apparently hooked it up correctly because I no longer have a christmas tree in my dash. Car starts and runs, so i'm thinking that's a reasonably good sign. I still have a starter going out and a non working ac, but i have to leave town in the morning so those will have to wait. In the future, I believe i could do that in a day instead of the...more than a day, it took me.

@Crab Sack had indeed sent me a bag of seals and i hooked that back up as soon as the alternator and compressor were back in place. I didn't however put any oil on the seal because i wasn't sure. It's easy enough to get to seen the system is no longer under pressure, should i go lubricate it with something like compressor oil?

Mixed results so far this weekend. Friday night I finished with the alternator and the has run great since.

I finally installed the cruise sensor, but i assume i had a faulty wire connection because it didn't work. I'll try to reinstall it later today or later this week and solder instead of butt slicers.

Unfortunately my speedo correction adapter seems to have gone out this weekend. I noticed driving down the interstate that the speedometer was a bit jump, then a lot jumpy and then the gauge slowly dropped to zero and stopped working. I took the adapter out and connected directly to the TC and the problem resolved. I'll call the adapter shop monday and see what options i have.

Recharging the AC turned into an all day nightmare, so i've posted a thread to get some advice on what to do. For now, it's no longer blowing hot air, but it's not nearly as cold as it was before.

Until I figure out the next best step, it is at least tolerable, so today I'm going to take a crack at converting to a 12V started, dual battery setup. I'd wouldn't mind the starter battery being on the LH side, but the thread detailing that seems far more difficult, and ultimately, I don't really care as long as it works.

One other thing. Does anyone have a link to the hdj81 FSM? I've found half a dozen on the forums but all of the links, including the link in the diesel faq were dead.

Last edited:
Got started on the 12v starter conversion this week.

Old starter is out
iXT3eT9m.jpg

and the new starter is in
8CkfonKm.jpg

I'd like to say it was easy, but the top bolt on the old starter was hard to get too. Deep in the engine bay in a narrowed space with all manner of wire in the way. Took me a while to get everything out of the way and in the process i manage to break the locking mechanism on the large round wire end. I zip tied it together while i look for a new end.

Started to make my first cable from 2gauge and realized i had nothing to crimp a cable that large
pGhSlJpm.jpg

Found a solution online and used my vice which worked quite well
eDpONn2m.jpg

Started removing wiring that no longer served a purpose and reconnecting things i disconnected. Found this which i thought i had unplugged
qLo2M01m.jpg

But for the life of me, i can't find anything to plug it into. I've decided i had hallucinated unplugging it and have left it alone, but if someone recognizes that little plug and knows where it goes, i'd appreciate the helping hand.

I've connected the 150a holder to the passenger side battery and now am just working on placing the isolator and battery switch. I'll work on it tonight and i think i can mount the isolator just in front of the PS battery and the switch using the mount holes for the starter solenoid. I'll post pics once i have them mounted.

After that, I think the wiring wont be too bad using the instructions and wiring diagram from the post I linked above.

Where abouts is that plug? I can look on my rig tomorrow and see what if at all, that's plugged into. I'm also a 1hd-t so it *should* be the same. I hope. :D

Its directly above the starter alongside two cylindrical plugs one being twice the size of the other

There's loads of unused plugs in most wiring harnesses. Toyota make them universal, so there'll be plugs to suit a range of extra options for different models, and different markets

Absolutely, the only reason i didn't default to that assumption was a nagging feeling that i had unplugged an odd shaped plug.

@mattimooseprime Did you ever have a chance to check on that plug?

I was able to work a little on the 12v conversion this week. Mostly trying to figure out where i wanted to mount the isolator and switch. I eventually went with the least creative solution I could think of.

I made a few cables
eVK7YREm.jpg

Attached the fuse between the passengers (auxillary) battery and the isolater to the side of the passengers battery box (it will have to be remounted a little lower)
mwnVuJbm.jpg

I figured what was good for the fuse would be good for the isolater, so....
wtWRZTCm.jpg

I then bent up some aluminum and made a makeshift bracket to mount the 5511e to the mounting holes used for the now removed solenoid
vgsmxDD.jpg

It may not be pretty, but it's stable

I'll finish the conversion tomorrow, but i have ran into some questions.
I've been using @FlyAddiction 's 1HDT 24v to 12v conversion step by step thread and his wiring diagram
gCTOBy8m.png

One question I have, do i need to keep the +B junction box? It's not in the diagram, but it wasn't mentioned in the conversion thread. I'm hoping he has the time to drop in here and comment. If not, i'll follow up in his thread.

Edit: I almost forgot! Does anyone know all of the wires in the convoluted tubing that runs across the top of the radiator?

Last edited:
10 days but I think i have the engine bay rewired for the 12v starter and I will try to start it today. I have to admit, i'm a little worried about that first start. I havent replaced the non-essential parts i've removed in case it doesn't start.

My biggest issue was finding the aux power box which had been relocated to between the inner and outer fenders. After that it was my general lack of familiarity with what i was doing which resulted in a longer time for each step made worse by having to redo many steps do to a lack of forethought.

I almost have everything sorted and will add the batteries back in today and try to start it.

HDJ81: 24v to 12v starter conversion

Alright, after nearly 12 days and a number of misteps, it looks like the 12v starter conversion is complete. After initial completion, it appeared to be a failed attempt, but i was able to find where i had wired something incorrectly, fixed that and it started right up and seems to be working completely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom