Builds My Costa Rican BJ40 search begins (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What grade of pipe did they use. I have to redo mine once i put the turbo on. It has a side exit now infront of passenger wheel so not sure if i wanna leave it there or route it all the way back. Im going with a aeroturbine muffler
No idea on the grade. It's definely not even close to the quality of work done on my 80 but that was also twice the price. I figured with the anemic B engine I didn't need to try to gain anything out of the exhaust. Maybe in the future if I decide to turbo the 3B that's sitting in the garage.

A few more things in the works. First off I am taking the truck to Colorado next month, Solid Axle Summit, so a few necessities were a roof and tunes. I missed my opportunity to purchase a soft top and have in time so I have started to put the hard top back on with all new weatherstripping. I also have been making a overhead console and its almost to the point of final fitment before wrapping it in carpet. Going with carpet rather than vinyl so I can stick Velcro to it. It will have radio, CB, USB plug, speakers, dome lights, and maybe a iPad mini mount when it's all done. The truck came with a Costa Rica special but it was cheaply made. I was able to find a nice free piece of wood at work and will reuse the stereo and CB that were laying around in the garage.
View attachment 1492565
View attachment 1492564

And the highlight of the day for me was mocking up the rear mud flaps. There are two holes in the stock frame already that are perfect location to make a metal bracket.
View attachment 1492563
View attachment 1492562
Good job! Truck looks awesome with the mud flaps!

A.J

Yesterday took the 40 on a trip to the family ranch to putt around the property. It's about a 150 mile round trip and the truck had no issues other than the downpipe coming loose. Easy fix. Muffler shop must have not tightened it back down properly.
Today I worked on the overhead console all day. It was a nice project to work on inside. Bench tested and it's ready for install once I run a few wires up through the windshield.
IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

Commuted with tunes yesterday. Much better than iPod and earbuds. The carpet almost matches the dingy colored headliner. The three wires I ran were easily run threw the left side of the windshield. I think I may add a strap to the front on the left and right side so I can hang garage door opener type things.
IMG_4975.JPG

I also had the down pipe comes loose again so I had the exhaust shop add a flex pipe. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
IMG_4976.JPG

I finished the brackets for mud flaps and they are now installed. Love the look especially with the hard top on. Kind of completes the square look.
@aljollano do have anything keeping the flap from getting into the tire on your mounts? I have seen some with chains.
IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

I need to make some brackets too, but it's freaking hot out there.

The overhead console looks great Cim.

I need to make some brackets too, but it's freaking hot out there.

The overhead console looks great Cim.
Thanks. Yeah I gave up for the day hours ago due to the heat. It does make that first beer of the day taste really refreshing.

It was to hot to do any projects today so I took the truck out for lunch. Did about an 80 mile loop through the hill country. Ate some BBQ in Blanco and stopped for a beer at Real Ale Brewery. Picked up a merit badge for the journey from there as well. Console carpet is perfect for collecting them.
IMG_4998.JPG

First crack at body work. I needed to fix the rear door before it went back on. It had a failed attemp at a repair in the area where the hinge attaches. I had a friend do the welding and I will do the final body work.
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5014.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5018.JPG
IMG_5023.JPG

Rear doors back on. Only primered the fixed area since I don't have time to do it proper before trip to Colorado.
IMG_5033.JPG

Last minute fixes before Solid Axle Summit. I have to have truck done and packed today due to work. Leave town tomorrow and come back late Monday of the following week. Attempting to leave for Colorado before light the next morning.
Swapped out the rear driveshaft, steering knuckle studs for new and extended the axle breathers.
Fist test drive was much better with new shaft. The original DS was way out of balance and had a dent in it. Local shop said it would be cheaper to get a new one
IMG_5045.JPG
IMG_5046.JPG

For the breather I popped off the cap and used 3/8" fuel line to extend it up by the fuel filter.
IMG_5048.JPG

Last minute fixes before Solid Axle Summit. I have to have truck done and packed today due to work. Leave town tomorrow and come back late Monday of the following week. Attempting to leave for Colorado before light the next morning.
Swapped out the rear driveshaft, steering knuckle studs for new and extended the axle breathers.
Fist test drive was much better with new shaft. The original DS was way out of balance and had a dent in it. Local shop said it would be cheaper to get a new one
View attachment 1506373 View attachment 1506374
For the breather I popped off the cap and used 3/8" fuel line to extend it up by the fuel filter. View attachment 1506375
Can't wait to see your vehicle. Will you be coming up through New Mexico with @POTATO LAUNCHER and the others? My wife and I were thinking of joining up with the convoy in Taos.

Can't wait to see your vehicle. Will you be coming up through New Mexico with @POTATO LAUNCHER and the others? My wife and I were thinking of joining up with the convoy in Taos.
Yes. That is the plan at the moment.

Journey to Colorado underway. I made it to Amarillo with no issues. Pace was around 60mph with a few moments I looked down and was going 65! I lucked out with the weather as it was overcast and much cooler than normal. No photos today. I'll start taking some tomorrow when I locate something better than highway.

I found something photo worthy. Funny part was I cruised into my town and had my first issue of the trip. Lost a front brake caliper bolt on the drivers side. Thankfully I was carrying a few spares so it was a quick fix. I didn't do my bolt check this morning due to the rain in Amarillo.
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_5084.JPG
IMG_5086.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom