Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mike, I did that same spot last year. It is nerve racking from the chair. Funny...Will (@iCruiser ) and I are in your side mirror on that one pic. We are walking right next to Cal Tucker’s 60
For the ride home Roma and Tucker retraced our steps back through Texas while I went a little further north to visit a friend I had not seen in about 4 decades in Castle Rock. I loaded up on Saturday morning and made the 20 hour drive straight through. The bugs were pretty rough through Illinois. There were a lot of 7's on my instrument cluster along the way!

View attachment 1766921 View attachment 1766922 View attachment 1766923

Nice trip & pictures.
What was the highest natural point above the sea level you drove?
The highest point in the Netherlands above the sea level is the Vaalseberg 324,73m /1,059 ft *
"Road cycling
The Vaalserberg is often used in the Amstel Gold Race and is climbed halfway through the race. The climb is named in the roadbook of the Gold Race as Drielandenpunt and is followed by the Gemmenich climb."
Cheers.

* not a comfortable place for a Yeti to live.:lol:

The highest road I drove in the 70`s with a my Citroen 2CV (16 hp) was the Großglockner in
Austria
Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria
12,460 feet. Wish I would never have sold this gem.:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you missed 54 rigs running every trail in the Ouray area but maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket just in case?! It would have been a great meet up! What rig were you driving?

I made it to the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray last week. Wow what a trip! Roma, Tucker and I convoyed from Huntsville to Amarillio Tx where we met up with the event organizer and 9 more LC's. We left on Sunday morning and drove to Woodland Park Co to camp over night before driving up to Ouray on Monday. There were 13 total LC's driving from Amarillo to Ouray, it was quite the spectacle! We ran a number of trails while we were there. Samson performed flawlessly both on the trail and on the highway. There was one minor difficulty, on Thursday the turbo would not spool up. It turns out that the air filter was so clogged from trail dust that the filter had been sucked shut. After knocking the major portion of the dust out of the filter the turbo could get enough air to properly function. On the way home Friday morning I stopped at the first auto parts store and purchased a new air filter. The trip totaled 3358 miles in 9 days. For those that have never been to Ouray it is a must see destination for a LC owner.

View attachment 1766858 View attachment 1766859 View attachment 1766860 View attachment 1766861 View attachment 1766862

Thanks for sharing with us. We enjoyed seeing you all.

I'm not sure how you missed 54 rigs running every trail in the Ouray area but maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket just in case?! It would have been a great meet up! What rig were you driving?

Yeah, really not sure how I missed you guys... I was in a grey 4runner, traveled through SW CO all week. Lake City, Silverton, Ouray for a few days early in the week, then up further north a couple days before heading home to the heat.

Amazing trip and pictures Michael! Jealous!!

wow beautiful pics!!! Hope to do something like this in my 42

Same had a day at the spa after running up and down the mountain trails. All clean and shiny. Ready for another run at the San Juan’s. I do believe it is shining better now than after the cut and buff.

A9A0228E-FAA8-40EA-BE20-7D3D413320C3.jpeg
90698270-7E1E-4AFE-AF1E-9A0580F402E2.jpeg
CEC4B8CB-B813-4168-9F6B-84F1ED7F5B9C.jpeg
5F53CEC0-140C-4E49-B590-1F90BBFDD1AF.jpeg

For anyone looking for the correct window crank handle for a 78’ or just like the silver insert in the knob better than all black, you can get them from Mr Toyota with the part number below.

4913CD01-C897-450E-9C83-BE5268BED13E.jpeg

Our club was invited to ride with a sister club from Birmingham. We had a great time in the Little River Canyon Preserve. It wasn’t challenging just a nice ride on a beautiful day. We stopped and spent some time at the river crossing. Then we visited the falls. We had to hike to the falls which I really enjoyed. There were about 10 rigs total on the ride. One of the shotgun riders is 9 months pregnant and was hoping the rough ride might get her labor started! That would have been fun!?

D200626A-F64A-4CF7-B254-21CBB44A4942.jpeg
A794B748-3E9B-4AFD-B20D-C5141D9B0EDA.jpeg
53874409-D3E3-47DF-A9D7-BC578293D83B.jpeg
E960F446-5D76-4508-BDB2-3AE7D1463845.jpeg
D51044C3-B3BF-4425-A231-F0D652B644C6.jpeg

Micheal that 45 is totally amazing. I'm hooked now, so much so that I have the 65 project fj45 in my garage! It was a blast at SAS and I had a great time meeting you guys and becoming friends. I felt out of place with my 80 running with you, Roma, and Tucker! Had fun going into Ouray to the brewery and pretty cool that you thought that ride with me and Buddy the lab might just be your first ride in an 80!

I felt out of place with my 80 running with you, Roma, and Tucker!

I almost feel like I’m cheating when I ride in my 60. 80s tho.......back of the line :)

I almost feel like I’m cheating when I ride in my 60. 80s tho.......back of the line :)

What about when you drive your hundred?
;)

What about when you drive your hundred?
;)

I stay far far away from the real Cruisers :)

In fact, when we went to New Mexico this year I made @beno and @FJ60Cam Bunch up so I could single out the real Cruisers in pictures :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom