My 55 came to me without a rain gutter. Looking for recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I've mentioned before, the previous owner of my FJ55 took off the rain gutter around the roof so I get a lot of leaking through the doors when it rains.

I live in Southern California so it's not as big a problem as elsewhere, but I just put in carpet and it's getting a little damp by the rocker when it's parked outside in this rain.

Trying to come up with a solution for something I can put along the roof above the windows that might deflect water.

IMG_0884.jpeg

I've been refurbishing my gutter that the PO filled entirely with bondo - presumably to keep water from sitting in it. It looked terrible and didn't really work like it was meant to. I think the best solution would be to have someone fabricate a gutter for you and return it to how it once was. Too bad they cut that off.

I've been refurbishing my gutter that the PO filled entirely with bondo - presumably to keep water from sitting in it. It looked terrible and didn't really work like it was meant to. I think the best solution would be to have someone fabricate a gutter for you and return it to how it once was. Too bad they cut that off.

I don't know, that roof looks awfully pretty. I would be reluctant to grind off that paint, unless the roof is full of bondo, and then just graft on a new roof w/ gutters. If that roof is solid I would look at beefing up the weatherstrip and enjoy the shaved look...

Yeah I think so too. I bet the PO thought this was an easeier way to deal with the rain gutter rust but didn’t think about the consequences.

The PO also painted it in the current Matte brown which I don’t love. At some point in the next few years I’ll do a repaint to stock color and maybe I do it then.

The other option I was thinking of is to 3D print a black plastic rain gutter and use some adhesive to attach it above the windows for a temporary fix since I don’t care about the paint underneath. I just don’t want it to trap water and cause more sitting water issue there.

Looks like the roof bar could interfere with gutter? I'd start with ditching the carpet and see how that works. After all, rain is a fairly rare event there. A little bit of moisture on the floors isn't such a big deal. My 62 has a gutter but the floor gets a bit wet anyway since it rains a helluva lot here. Rust is an issue elsewhere but not a problem with the floors.

SMOOTH. Buy them plastic window deflectors and cut them to fit. Forgot the name 😉👍😎
Yeah I was google image searching for those last night. I hate the way they look but might be an option.

My guess is not only were the gutters rusted away, but the roof as well. I'm thinking there's a lot of bondo in there. Might want to start thinking of a total roof replacement or follow one of the threads that show total rebuild of the roof. Maybe buy some plastic corner molding at the home depot and glue it to the roof until you decide the next move. I don't think there are any good, quick and cheap answers to this one, at least for the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom