My 55 came to me without a rain gutter. Looking for recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most newer vehicles don’t have water channels. They just rely on the weatherstripping keeping the water out. Not always 100%, but does a good enough job 99% of the time.
Yeah but they typically have some form of rain gutter just inboard of the roof edge and triple seals in the door jamb, not much hope for that level of seal with our doors.

Looking again at the roof profile posted, I’m with Srcaps on the likelihood of filler making that wonderful smooth shape. (which does look killer)

Go to the ace hardware extruded Metal section. Get 1/2” ply edge metal. You will be able to bend it to fit the slight sexy curves of you beautiful mistress. Using 5 or 6 pop rivets or sheet metal screws attach to the correct location at the same time bedding it in white auto body seam sealer. Seam sealer caulking is water clean up as you go. Scary part, may be to much bondo and not enough metal for fasteners to grab. Right Stuff is a very good adhesive, might be able to glue the extrusion on. (With temporary duct tape)

If you pre painted or powder coated it to match the white it could possibly look decent.

7046CFA5-4D22-448A-A899-3164E5CF6631.jpeg
E7B5893A-DFC2-4661-BDEA-0AF673EF77C5.jpeg

No matter what you do, with a Brazilian there’s alway going to be a certain amount of bedding, caulking and screwing, but for sure a certain something is going to get wet somewhere.

Before you do anything get a small to medium size magnet and run it along and just above the line where the gutter should be. If you’re very lucky it’ll stick on solid metal and may be fixable. If it doesn’t cling, its bondo. Don’t mess with it. It’ll be the proverbial black hole. Drive it as is and look for a solid roof to transplant from the pillars up. The area around the gutters is a double layer that takes mad skills and lots of time to reconstruct correctly. Look for Jason’s “Moviestar” thread.
Pigs rust from the top down on the coasts and very wet areas and from the bottom up everywhere else.

I get a lot of leaking through the doors when it rains.
Do you have the weatherstrip on the doors and the door jam?
In my eyes the best easiest fix would be to replace all the door weatherstrip and adjust your doors/window frames properly to keep the wind and rain out.

Go to the ace hardware extruded Metal section. Get 1/2” ply edge metal. You will be able to bend it to fit the slight sexy curves of you beautiful mistress. Using 5 or 6 pop rivets or sheet metal screws attach to the correct location at the same time bedding it in white auto body seam sealer. Seam sealer caulking is water clean up as you go. Scary part, may be to much bondo and not enough metal for fasteners to grab. Right Stuff is a very good adhesive, might be able to glue the extrusion on. (With temporary duct tape)

If you pre painted or powder coated it to match the white it could possibly look decent.

View attachment 2245160View attachment 2245161

No matter what you do, with a Brazilian there’s alway going to be a certain amount of bedding, caulking and screwing, but for sure a certain something is going to get wet somewhere.

A++ post

I hate the paint they used and eventually want to paint it back to stock Toyota colors. At that point I may attempt to do this fix. Thanks!

Do you have the weatherstrip on the doors and the door jam?
In my eyes the best easiest fix would be to replace all the door weatherstrip and adjust your doors/window frames properly to keep the wind and rain out.
I do have new weatherstripping but the tops of the doors and the roof line have. significant gap and are not all that well aligned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom